Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Family "Established" signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
    Kids are not a necessary ingredient of every family!
    Agreed!
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
      what's the difference between a newly married couple with no children, a couples married for ten years with no children, or an unmarried childless couple who has been together for 20 years? They're all families just the same.
      Thank you.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
        Wow, I'd be totally irritated if someone told me DH and I weren't a family just because we don't have kids! Kids are not a necessary ingredient of every family! I also find it annoying when people ask when we're going to "start a family" -- um, we already have. This IS our family. Maybe we'll expand it someday...

Point being, I'd say your wedding date.
        Yikes! I wasn't trying to demean people without children or cause offense. My point was that the word 'family' in common usage almost always implies children being involved. I would have found it odd if someone referred to DW and me as a family before we had kids. Anyway, I consulted several dictionaries and while a group with children was the primary definition, there were also entries for couples or just simply a household. Fair enough.

Anyway, going back to the original question, after reading through the responses, I'd agree the marriage date is preferable. At that point you are officially forming a new relationship and household.

Comment

We have one and it has the date that we are married. We've also sent holiday cards that said "Scarlett Family"
          Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I asked DH what he thought and he was all, "huh, what, why, who cares?" And then came back 10 min later out of the blue saying he doesn't care or know if a married childless couple is a "family" but doesn't believe just having a child automatically makes a family (i.e. two people in no or a casual relationship having a child a la 16 and pregnant.

It's always good to know he is "sort of?" listening to my rambling.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Being a therapist has shown me so many different ways people define what "family" means to them. It doesn't have to just be nuclear. When I was married to my ex, we were a family. When it was just DD and I, we were our own little family. When DH and I got married we didn't have kids together, but both brought children to the marriage. We are very much a family.

Go with the date that feels most right for you and your DH. The sign will turn out great.
              Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Funny, I also asked my DW. She said that given no other context, family would imply that there are children. However, for the sign in question, the date of marriage is the right one and therefore would also work for people without children.

Comment

I agree with the majority - wedding date. I consider myself and DH to be our own little family even with no kids.

Also, I've always wanted one of these, but haven't gotten my act together enough to actually order one.

Comment

Originally posted by lovelight View Post
                    I agree with the majority - wedding date. I consider myself and DH to be our own little family even with no kids.

Also, I've always wanted one of these, but haven't gotten my act together enough to actually order one.
                    They have a couple "craft stores" that open around town - usually filling the spaces left vacant by "Halloween Express" Otherwise, I'd probably never get around to it. It's one of those things I'd want to see first!
                    Jen
                    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                    X