Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Make up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make up

It is past time for a new look. I went into Ulta today and was so overwhelmed that I left without buying anything. I am thinking about getting a professional makeover. Should I go to Ulta, a Department store, or a witch doctor? I really don't want anything too over the top, cost or look wise. I'm pretty sure that the industry has come up with some new products in the last ten years. Give me your best pointers. I kind of suck at this.
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

What kind of things are you looking for? Everyday makeup? Night-out makeup? What products do you usually use? Do you prefer to play up your eyes, lips, something else ? I'm thinking Sephora is the place to go for tips & makeover... I shy away from single-brand department store counters. They all have their good products and not so good products, and I hate getting tied down to one brand.
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I generally go to Clinique because I've been using their products forever (well, some of my stuff is from there - some is from the grocery/drugstore). I'd probably recommend Sephora if you don't have a brand preference though.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I like Ulta better than Sephora, maybe because they carry drugstore brands as well as pricier options. Check out Clinique, too. I switched from Bare escentuals to Clinique around Christmas time and I got several compliments over the holidays that I am sure were due to the change.
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I've fallen in love with Urban Decay's new BB cream. I'm a Sephora addict, but also buy drugstore brands at Target (live Cover Girl's stay-put lipsticks - #621 is my current fav).
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I went to MAC and had mine done a few months ago, it was super helpful and I did buy what they used but I am going to change my foundation now that what I bought is used up. It was very helpful.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Do you have to make an appointment when you go somewhere like Mac or Sephora, or can you just walk in?

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                Do you have to make an appointment when you go somewhere like Mac or Sephora, or can you just walk in?
                I've always thought you needed an appointment. Even at Ulta you sometimes do.
                Jen
                Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

At MAC you're supposed to have an appointment - I walked in when they weren't busy and they were able to get me in. It was a MAC only store, not a department store counter.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

When I was on TV weekly a few years ago one of the news anchors encouraged me to go to MAC and let them do a makeover. I had never really worn much makeup up to that point, and I didn't even know where to start. It was awesome, and I've been wearing their makeup ever since.

You can't have a greasy, unmakeuped face on TV.
                    Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I love getting my makeup done...I'll sometimes go to the mall on random Sunday afternoons, and visit a makeup counter. I check out different ones, because I always discover new products. Plus, I found that I love X brand mascara, but love their foundation, etc. I don't believe there's one makeup line that works for anybody. (Does that even make sense?)

You don't need an appointment at most places if they're not busy.
                      I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I've gone to MAC in the past. I recently went to Sephora for a couple specific things. I rarely wear makeup so I do feel bad spending a lot of money on it.
                        Needs

Comment

At most Ulta stores, if you tell them what you're looking for, someone will do a mini makeover. I also love Mac, though.
                          -Deb
                          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Mary Kay fan here. They'll come to your house so you can see it in your own lighting, and they have a very generous return policy if you try something for awhile and decide you don't like it.
                            Laurie
                            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I haven't done this, but I've asked at Sephora. Seems that the policy there is that you must buy a $50 gift card and then you get a makeover -- or you need to buy $50 worth of products.

I'm also considering doing a makeover even thought I've had lousy luck in the past. I think red head/freckles is not a "normal" makeup situation.

I did find a new-to-me product that I LOVE. Benefit lip/cheek tints are amazing as blush for me. The afore mentioned coloring has always made getting blush right tricky -- either it's too heavy or I'm pale as a ghost.
                              Angie
                              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                              X