Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Eyeglasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyeglasses?

I have an eye exam tomorrow for the first time in four years, after which I plan to get new glasses. This will only be my third pair of glasses ever I think. I got the first pair when I was about 25, and didn't really feel like I needed them daily until I was about 32. So I'm still not super used to seeing them on my face. Unfortunately, it feels like all the "stylish" frames are the thick plastic rims? Those feel so bold to me...

I guess my question is, what is a classic style to look for that won't dominate my face or clash if I wear them with literally everything? I have a fairly oval face, and I currently wear wire frames in a sort of pinky-copper that goes pretty well with my blue eyes and my pale but warm undertones/freckles skin and medium brown hair.

Thanks for any help, suggestions, or ideas of where to go for pics of people in fashionable styles I could consider!
    Alison

DH and I just got new glasses this last fall. At Lenscrafters you pick four or five different pairs and then they take photos of your face to compare them side by side. This was so much more helpful than looking in the mirror. FWIW, I don't have the innate sense of style to pull off the new bolder frames that are in style. My splurge was a pair of prescription sunglasses. I love them. You can always write down the frames and wait until they have a two for one special. Give the clerk your number and have her call you when they run a promotion.

Good luck. Glasses are so hard!
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

this year I went to a cheapity cheap place and got 2 pairs for under $250. Try on a bajillion pairs including some that you like but feel too bold, you might be surprised at how well you can pull them off. I have auburn hair and skin so pale it borders on transparent. Lately, I have been wearing pairs with really dark frames, which I never thought I would be able to do. Prior to that, it was all tortoise shell frames to blend it.
      Kris

Comment

The ones I have now are just metal on front, with bolder decorated sides. I think it works, should you want to only dabble in boldness.
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Screw it. Try something bold and see how it looks. I'm not one to embrace trends or over-the-top looks, but some bolder glasses actually look pretty cool once you try them.

Comment

Oi, is 2 for $250 a good deal? Ack. Last time I went, we had insurance that covered the vast majority of the frames I chose. Now that we are private pay DH always takes his prescription and runs to the online discount places and spends like $40. That said, he did regret the ones he got with no anti-glare coating. Anyway, I think my plan is to try a few pairs at the place, then either order with them if the price seems reachable or just go online for something similar.

I guess, I will try the thick ones...but ack! What about shapes? The first ones I got, the folks recommended a cat-eye...also way too bold for me! Wish I could pull them off though. I see some vertically compressed/short wide oval or rectangular lenses on people, but I feel like they'd be impractical, since I really need them for reading, computer, but also seeing road signs -- looking over or under them all the time would be annoying!
            Alison

Comment

Ok, cat-eye looks good on basically NO ONE. Unless you're really trying to cultivate a retro-50s look, or you're a 20-something hipster, I think they're a terrible idea. Sorry if anybody has cat-eye glasses. The ultra-short, wide frames mostly look stupid too. Just don't do extremes -- not too small, not too big, not too round, etc. Start by looking at medium-sized rounded rectangles, like this. Determine if you like a frame where the earpiece meets the lens up at the top of the lens (like this) or down a little bit (like this). Up at the top is more "in" right now, and down a little further is more conservative. If you want to look current, I would stick with plastic frames that go all the way around the lens -- they don't have to be ultra thick, just look at the first ones I linked -- or metal frames that go all the way around in a similar shape. Don't go spindly with a metal frame. Like any other accessory, a tiny, thin glasses frame will just make your features look disproportionately bigger. However, I also personally shy away from glasses with an ultra-thick ear piece. Maybe some people can rock those, but I find they just obstruct my peripheral vision and look dumb on me.

ETA: all the links I posted are from Warby Parker. Their selection is limited, but they're very reasonably priced and you can order samples to try on at home.
              Last edited by MsSassyBaskets; 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM.
              Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

THANK you for the tips, I could hug you.
                Alison

Comment

I hope you find something you like!

Comment

The $40 online places are really hit or miss. My brother's ended up with some wonky lenses from them, and he had trouble getting them fixed. For me, it's easier to deal with something as personal as glasses in a store.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I like the ones with plastic or metal on the top and nothing on the bottom - or you could do all frameless lenses with fashionable earpieces? Apparently lenscrafters calls them rimless and semi-rimless.

Something like these:
                      http://www.lenscrafters.com/lc-us/prada/679420810775
                      http://www.lenscrafters.com/lc-us/do...a/679420506913
                      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I can't help but chime in to say spend the money for good quality eye glasses. You're best going to a brick-and-mortar place where they sell quality and will see that your glasses fit you correctly. Glasses are something that you may have for a long time and are so important to quality of life. It's worth it to spend money for a good pair. My Dh has seen too many cases where people go to the discount stores/Lens Crafter and get poor quality glasses for a great price. They are never happy.
                        Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

There's also no reason you can't buy a cheaper frame you like, either online or at another optical store, and bring it to a reputable office for lenses. I mean, don't buy a crappy product, but I have found that higher-end plastic frames wear and scratch just as quickly as cheaper ones.

Comment

Originally posted by JaneDoe View Post
                            I can't help but chime in to say spend the money for good quality eye glasses. You're best going to a brick-and-mortar place where they sell quality and will see that your glasses fit you correctly. Glasses are something that you may have for a long time and are so important to quality of life. It's worth it to spend money for a good pair. My Dh has seen too many cases where people go to the discount stores/Lens Crafter and get poor quality glasses for a great price. They are never happy.
                            Yes this!! Glasses are an investment in the health of your eyes. Glasses for our kiddos with insurance and not pricey frames are well into $300. We do spend on the UV protection, anti glare, etc.
                            Tara
                            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

My son's going in tomorrow too. He already has glasses but needs new lenses and is going to try contacts.

I know nothing about style; I just try on many pairs until I find what seems flattering. You usually wear contacts, right? I personally don't spend much on my own glasses, let alone the added extras just because I don't even like wearing glasses. (I like having peripheral vision, so contacts it is.)

Comment

Working...
                              X