Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Question for Minivan Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
    Hmm...so I didn't realize how pricey minivans were. I was thinking you could get something pretty new/low mileage for <$20k and that just doesn't seem true. Only if you get the ultra-base models will the T&C, Sienna, and Odyssey be that low...
    Annabelle was 1 year old with ~34K miles and was $20K I think. She was a fleet vehicle and still had the new car smell.
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Well the test drives were helpful. DH doesn't fit in the T&C or the Odyssey. So that basically means a Sienna is the easy choice. Now we just need to figure out the balance of mileage and budget.

Now that we have one type of car, we're looking at the trim levels. Sadly, I'm not going to get the power liftgate on the trim package I think we're going for but it's not worth so much extra to upgrade to the next trim package and it includes a lot of stuff we don't need. There is a chance that we'll find one with a randomly upgraded feature like the liftgate but I'm not holding my breath.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Aww that sucks. Just search for Siennas in general, you never know what you might find in your price range
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Minivans are really expensive. I think the best bet is to know what you're looking for and be willing to take a slightly older model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

When we got out suburban it had the auto start feature which was not a part of it's published trim level--- I would guess the auto lift gate might be one of those options that is a big selling point and therefore more available. I don't know though.

I am so shocked by how much minivans cost. We got such a killer deal on our suburban though so I doubt I will ever think of another car as a good deal..... We got a brand new (60 mi) suburban for 29K.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I'm definitely not disappointed, I'm super excited to even getting a newer car! I'm going to see what 2010s look like. We had been looking at 2011s but it's possible that a 2010 would be a better value.
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

If it's the same body style and mileage, why not?
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I don't know if we can get the same mileage for any cheaper, it'll depend on what's available. From what I can tell, these puppies really hold their value!

Looks like if we go with the 2010, we have to go up on the trim package to get the power doors. So, it could end up being a wash on price to get a higher end 2010/lower end 2011...somebody probably already did this math at Toyota and there's a reason for this.

Comment

How much do you want to spend? Our Carmax in town has a 2011 LE with power doors, DVD, cloth seats for $21k. Only 46k miles.
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We were hoping to spend $18k. For reasons detailed in other threads, I don't want to take on another monthly bill greater than >$300/month.

Comment

Totally understandable.
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I wasn't impressed with Carmaxs prices compared to other dealers.

Comment

Don't forget to check the used lots locally. Don't just surf their websites either, either go in person or call.

I was able to get my 08 Tuscon with 77K on it for 10K at a Honda dealership. They had gotten it in that morning on trade and hadn't even had a chance to detail it yet or take pictures. I was thrilled with the deal.
                            Kris

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                              I wasn't impressed with Carmaxs prices compared to other dealers.
                              It's a crapshoot. Some are overprice, some reasonable. I like that their salespeople aren't pushy.
                              Veronica
                              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                              X