Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I need a good book to read...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a good book to read...

I take the Metro into work each day and it's an about an hour ride each day. I've exhusted the list of books I'd written down to read and can't seem to find something I want to read. I just finished re-reading the Harry Potter series and am looking for some good fiction. I was browsing the book forum but just thought I'd ask... Read any good books lately?

Good commuter books in recent weeks have been Emily Giffin's well-written Something Borrowed; Something Blue; and Baby Proof.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

My FSIL mentioned those as well. I think I'll put them on hold at the library. I'm also flying home in two weeks so I'll really need some travel friendly reading. Thanks Alison!

Comment

If you like history, 1776 is surprisingly interesting and engaging. I read it while I had jury duty in DC.

Jenn

Comment

Kite Runner if you haven't read it. Best book in years.

What do you like to read?
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Yes, but non-fiction. I recently finished David Rakoff's Don't Get Too Comfortable. Sorta like David Sedaris but different.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
              Yes, but non-fiction. I recently finished David Rakoff's Don't Get Too Comfortable. Sorta like David Sedaris but different.
              Damn! I wish I'd read this thread before I went to Borders today! I would LOVE to get that. He's my new crush!

I ended up getting the Amy Sedaris I Like You on audio book (I'll be driving 12 to 15 hours tomorrow and can GUARANTEE you that dh will be sleeping for MANY hours of it.) I also got David Sedaris' [i]Naked/i]", and another book I can't remember the name of but have been wanting to read.

Comment

I really enjoyed it. I finished it in the hospital.

Comment

I'll third Kite Runner, excellent book.

I've also just started Pursuit of Happyness because I like to read the book before I see the movie, the movie is supposed to be really good and usually the book is better IMO.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Naked was great!!! But I have a strange affinity for witty gay male memoir writers. Dave Eggers has a new semi-fiction book out and if you haven't read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, you need to. I recently flew through The Secret Life of Bees and though that was fabulous. I bought Wicked but my SO stole it and is reading it. I recommend Dry by Augusten Burroughs, and absolutely anything written by Chang Rae Lee (an amazing Japanese-American author.)

Comment

I like trashy historical novels, hence Phillipa Gregory. She has a whole series about Henry VIII's reign. The books are about his wives and mistresses, each gets her own book (well the ones who stuck around long enough to fill one).

Comment

I also have a thing for hilarious gay male writers (maybe because they're funny and can appreciate the oddities in life?)

Dry is so funny in parts- it's one of those snorting out the nose in public places kind of books- like Sedaris and Eggers. Dan Savage is seriously funny and has several books out. He's the sex columnist for the City Paper and the SA Current and a bunch of other alternative newspapers.

Jenn

Comment

I am reading Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick. It is pretty good so far.
                          Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Actually, I've been on a thriller/blockbuster kick lately. I enthusiastically endorse:

Dan Brown--Deception Point
                            Jeffrey Archer--False Impression
                            Ken Follett--White Out

These all are engaging with short chapters for readers who, for whatever reason, have to stop and start a lot.

Kelly
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Kite Runner is a must read.
                              I am currently reading My Sister's Keeper and it's hard to put down. It's not what I thought it was and I find the subject fascinating. It's about a family wiht a child who has luekemia and they conceive another daughter specifically to be a genetic match donor. By age 13 the match daughter sues her parents for the rights to her own body. She no longer wants to give her blood, tissue and possibly a kidney to keep her dying sister alive.
                              The Time Traveler's Wife is also great - one of those books that you want to start reading over again as soon as you finish.
                              I just read A Million Little Pieces for my bookclub and will start Julie and Julia for the next meeting. Pieces wasn't something I would have read but I am really glad I did. The writing style was raw, simple and unique and the characters were refreshingly honest. It's an easy read and despite all the controversy - I liked the book.
                              Julie and Julia is about a woman unhappy wiht her job and life in general who decides to cook every recipe in a Julia Child's french cookbook. It started out as a blog, became famous and then published as a novel. Apparently it's quite humurous and light reading.

Comment

Working...
                              X