Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

TV Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Programs

I have a question:

When a preview for a tv program says "8/7c" what does that mean? I am guessing 8:00 EST and 7:00 CST but what about us MST and west coasters?
    I researched it on the net and got majorly conflicting answers and then called a local television broadcasting company and they didn't know the answer either. UGH!!! Can anyone help?!

Jodi

Wow. You have a burning desire to know, don't you? We should make you the iMSN investigative reporter. Hmmmm.

I don't actually have any answers for you. Just impressed with your tenacity.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I would guess that you should subtract whatever your difference from EST is from 8. I'm pretty sure that MST is 2 hours behind and West coast is 3 hours. So 8pm EST would be 5pm for WST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
        Wow. You have a burning desire to know, don't you? We should make you the iMSN investigative reporter. Hmmmm.

Angie, you can change your name but you're still goofy.

Comment

I don't know for sure about Mountain time but I am certain that out west you would get it at 8pm. We have family in UT and I think they get West coast feed too so they would get the show at 9pm (bc they are an hour ahead). That is one positive thing about moving out to the midwest we get shows an hour earlier period and three hours earlier than family back in Cali. Sucks for nighttime basketball games tho.

Comment

yeah, I think 8e/7c means 9m/8w

I've never lived in the mountain zone, but that's my guess.
            - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
              Originally posted by Sheherezade

Angie, you can change your name but you're still goofy.

Comment

When I lived in CO the tv shows ran at the same time as the central time zone, i.e. the news was on at 10. In CA the shows run at east coast time, i.e. the news was on at 11. So prime time starts at 7 in central and mountain and 8 on east coast and west coast - don't ask me why!
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Crispin's Crispian
                  I was always under the impression that it was 8est/7cnt, 8mnt/7pac. Don't quote me on that, thought.
                  Definitely not 7pac, that was one thing I hated about living in CA. In order to watch the news you had to stay up until 11:30.

Comment

[quote=Suzy Sunshine]
                    Originally posted by "Crispin's Crispian":386b5
                    I was always under the impression that it was 8est/7cnt, 8mnt/7pac. Don't quote me on that, thought.
                    Definitely not 7pac, that was one thing I hated about living in CA. In order to watch the news you had to stay up until 11:30. [/quote:386b5]

That's funny, Cheri. I'm not used to watching stuff so early. The news is on at 10pm here. SO EARLY! I'm used to watching it at 11. 11:30 is when the late night shows would start back home.

Dh noticed how early stuff is on here too. I told him Midwesterners just go to bed early. :>
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I also hated that NFL games started at 10 on Sundays, I guess things just take getting used to when you've done it one way for 20+ years. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                        When I lived in CO the tv shows ran at the same time as the central time zone, i.e. the news was on at 10. In CA the shows run at east coast time, i.e. the news was on at 11. So prime time starts at 7 in central and mountain and 8 on east coast and west coast - don't ask me why!
                        Having lived in MST and PST, I concur. And don't ask me why either.

Comment

It's an adjustment. I never watched football, at 10am or otherwise. In Seattle, professional sports is NOTHING like it is in Chicago or in other parts of the country.

I'm barely getting home at 7pm, so watching some of the primetime shows just doesn't work. We're just getting home and getting dinner on the table.

Or is it common to eat in front of the tv here...?
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I think it depends on the program. Live programs I would follow subtract the time rule i.e. 8 est.7c 6mst then 5 west coast time. But for regular broadcast what the other girls said about 8/7c 7m/8w

Comment

It depends on the channel. If is is cable, a show on at 8pm EST would work as 8/7/6/5 in the different time zones. It also depends on the show. Of sourse events and sports programs are when they are.

From everything I have seen it depends on the state you are in for mountain and pacific, but from my knowledge of Utah, Nevada, and California, a show that is supposed to be 8Eastern/7Central would be 7Mountain/8Pacific.

If I am watching American Idol, for example, at 8 p.m., my sister in Utah who is two hours behind me in the time zones will watch it an hour behind me a 7p.m. Whereas, in California, my SIL would watch the same program at 8:00 p.m. or three hours behind me, just as the time zones are.

Confused yet?
                              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                              X