Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The weather...

OK- it was 70 in DC yesterday and we are having three days of ice and snow in San Antonio. (and these people are woefully underprepared for the ice and snow. It's kind of sad)

We're hunkered down with our half-working heater (the McGiver system created by the previous owner isn't doing the trick any more so we've called in the Home Buyer's Warranty and it will be completely fixed. Note to people buying existing homes, insist on a warranty. This is the second time we've needed to use one.)

Blankies, hot chocolate (Mexican- with rum for the parents) and Netflix. We're good to go. The Army closed the clinics today and I'm guessing for tomorrow. Nikolai's daycare is closed- we're having fun all holing up together. I told Rick it was to make him thoroughly sick of us before he leaves.

Jenn

I know.....it is so weird! Travis and I were just talking this weekend that our former cities in TX are having worse winters (so far) than we are here in Indiana! We have not yet had any snow that has stuck around, and no ice, either.

Stay warm.

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

It's honestly not that bad. There were some winters I had in Texas as a teen where there was a thick blanket of ice on everything and generally every winter there are several ice storms. Right now we have a bit of sleet and black ice on the bridges. The reason why everything is shut down is because most Texas cities don't stock sand and salt for the occasional ice day. Thus, traffic comes to a halt.

The military bases are closed tomorrow (Wednesday) except for "essential" personnel. The schools are all closed as well.

The one difficult thing for us right now? The pipes that go from our well pump to the house have frozen. So, we're going to be without running water until the temperature rises. My husband made a grocery store run earlier today for tons of bottled water. And, we have the requisite hot cocoa with marshmallows. I also went out with a box of crackers this afternoon and fed the sparrows. They looked a bit hungry....

Anyway, dh and I were joking today that this weather is a gentle spring day for Boston!!!
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

The military bases are closed tomorrow (Wednesday) except for "essential" personnel. The schools are all closed as well.
        Any of the closings haven't given us any extra days off....seems that "essential" means you need to be able to work if you are a Dr. even though no one else is there.
        Hey, do they still salute your husbands at the gate now? Just curious, they don't do it here anymore- as a security measure for the officers. Not that they identifying decal on the car can't give it away.
        Oh well...just rambling.

Comment

It's snowing and icing here in Oregon! Ugh. I thought I had left a harsher climate for a moderate one. Apparently, I was wrong. I won't complain too much- we're leaving for Hawaii on Saturday!
          Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Isn't this crazy, Janedoe? Hawaii sounds perfect and it should be easy to get to the airport by then. My neighbor backed her Suburban out of the driveway last night to go to the store and that is far as she got. Our street is slick.

We have another snow day. At least the school district decided last night instead of 10 minutes before school started. We played with the neighbors all day yesterday, sledding down the street and neighbors front yard. I love this snow -- it is so dry and fluffy like Colorado snow.

DH had yesterday afternoon clinics cancelled and came home. The 15 minute trip took an hour. I'm not sure what is happening today.

Comment

DH just drove around a little and it seems better today. He's going to park at the VA and take the tram to avoid some hills. Alison -- have you seen the tram? My kids can't wait to ride on it. It's cool to see it zipping along but boy am I glad I don't live below it. So long, privacy!

Comment

Hey Alison! I was fixing breakfast for my son Mon morning when he said "Mommy the neighbor's big green tree is turning red"...I thought what's he talking about, so low and behold I look out at thier tree on the otherside of our wall and it's actually changing colors like the trees back east do when autumn comes!!!! Then I noticed all of the Ficus trees were doing this!! I must admit, I actually enjoy seeing the various shades of deep red. We're gonna go out and prune all the dead whispy stuff this weekend. The experts on TV said not to worry as just the thinner tips of shrubs are what's been frozen . They said trim things back and they should come around just fine.Apparently the oranges, grapefruit and lemons that were on the trees feel like water balloons now...soft & mushy!

Comment

The weather .... I left Cleveland in a blizzard yesterday morning b/c I just HAD TO GET HOME! It was 7 degrees when I got home at 11:45PM, there were chunks of plowed ice all along the freeway through MO, but the roads were clear.

All I have it say is it's SO NICE to be back where there is sun.

Comment

Glad you made it home safely, Jenn.

Comment

Any of the closings haven't given us any extra days off....seems that "essential" means you need to be able to work if you are a Dr. even though no one else is there.
                      Hey, do they still salute your husbands at the gate now?
                      The Army and AF bases in San Antonio (probably after the nighmarish weeks after 9/11 where 'essential' was determined by WAY too many people) have discovered that when patients can't get in, the doctors don't need to be there either. So, essential means just that- ER people, ICU staff, etc. None of the clinics are open.

Saluting- not at the Army base because they're civilians- at the AF base, yes because they're enlisted guys.

Jenn P- glad you made it home. I figured you were on the road. Hows the new computer?

Jenn

Comment

Glad you made it home safely, Jenn.
                        my sentiments exactly...! I was worried about you guys being on the road w/ all the crummy weather!

Comment

Hey DCJenn , how about re-naming the post "I get a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather"...I was thinking about last week when we started referring to songs from the past

Comment

Still not an ounce of snow to report from Virginia. But it was 29 degrees when I got in my car this morning!

Comment

I couldn't remember if the supporting posts were up when you were here. It is operational as of mid-December or so but only open to employees at this point. It opens to the public at the end of the month for $4 a ride (I think patients get free tickets and employees will be able to ride for free). DH can get an early pass or something via his chair so he might take the kids this weekend. I like to see it at night -- those lit up pods floating along.

Comment

Working...
                              X