Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Shoes fabulous shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add me to the orthotic club. I try not to walk without them! I really want to find some custom made shoes so I can wear heels and slippahs and all but not sacrifice comfort!

Since my feet were so damn swollen I stuck with sneakers and my Modelista clogs. I'm trying to branch back into occasional heels again, but I worry about my feet. I too have already had surgery on one.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by sms92
      Thanks for the tips on orthotics . . . no professional courtesy discount for me, sadly. The price is actually $450 and the podiatrist claims that is $50-100 cheaper than the normal price around here, which I suspect is true

My insurance is supposed to pay 1/2 of the cost, but I will believe it when I see it. They always manage to find some way not to pay up.

I am so glad you like them, Crystal - - that makes me feel better about spending so much. At first, I was worried I was being wasteful spending so much for a shoe insert but I walk 5-7 miles per day (just walking around, insane I know, its more miles if I go running that day). I was starting to look really pathetic limping and shuffling . . .
      I didn't spend $450 on mine, I think they cost me $60- $30 something for each one. I went to a specialty shoe store called The Walking Company. They do a free computer analysis on your feet. Anyway then they determine which orthotics would best suit you. The orthotics that I have are made of cork and after a couple of wearing conform to your foot. I currently have 2 pairs- one in my exercise shoes, and one in my UGGs. The Mephistos I own give me substantial arch support. I don't think my shoes look like total tree hugger shoes. The only ones I own that look tree huggery are my Danskos, and I wear those casually or when I know I am going to be on my feet a long time- like at the zoo.
      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse
        I love birks & mephistos BUT I must wear a suit to work each day and need something a little more dressy. I have found the cole-haan nike air to be a comfort/stylish solution....same with clarks. Anyone else tried these?
        The Mephistos I have are all from their city or dressy line. I have a pair of really cute black pumps, and to think of it all of the ones I own would work with suits.
        Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I own: a pair of Land's End clogs. A pair of New Balance running shoes. A pair of Vasque hiking boots. A pair of Havana Joe stompin' boots. A pair of Teva sandals. And a pair of strappy leather sandals (flat of course). That's it. Period.
          I'm with you. I've got a pair of Uggs, some black satin pumps, a metallic kitten heel sandal, rocket dog sneaks(brown/pink) and black heeled loafer thingies. That's it. I buy some throw away thongs every summer......
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog
            Shoes say a lot about a person don't they? I miss my Birks, I kept misplacing one or the other of a pair when I'd move. I always wore mine with socks. Now that I'm getting into handknit socks, I really should get some new Birks to show them off with! Can't afford 'em though.
            Not to call you out Alison, but you people are scaring me. How are we going to look like the Stepfords with hand knit socks in fuzzy cow print "Birks"?????

I have NO idea how many pairs of shoes I own but my favorite deal was on a pair of Miu Miu's (I'll add a pic later. :> ) that were originally around $425 and I got them for $52. No joke. And I get compliments on them every time I wear them.

Please come to the east coast in June, when Vishenka and I will be hosting a weekend retreat for the fashion clueless. :>

Comment

Originally posted by Miss November
              Not to call you out Alison, but you people are scaring me. How are we going to look like the Stepfords with hand knit socks in fuzzy cow print "Birks"?????

We're the "Free to Be You and Me" generation of Stepford Dawkters Wives and/or Significant Others.

I live my life in grey merrills, black or gold Clarks, and sneakers. I also drive a mini-van and live in suburbia .... so it's all part and parcel.

We're loud! We're proud! We're comfortable!

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve

We're loud! We're proud! We're comfortable!
                I'm blister free and not afraid to admit it! I have to wear comfortable shoes during the day. I'd hurt myself otherwise. But every so often, I like the fancy shoes.

Lily -- I love Stuart Weitzman shoes. I've never even tried on a pair. Too dangerous. So I guess I love looking at them. But now that I know you found them at DSW....

Comment

Add me to the list of Staurt Weitzman lovers. I have more pairs then I care to admit. Lately, I've been allowing my love of heals to rule and I probably haven't worn flats in a good month. What can I say, I'm 5'2 and need all the length I can get. I'm sure I'll suffer later, but for this year at least I'll look taller and leaner, feet be damned.

Comment

Another clueless but comfortable here!
                    I own one pair of birks,
                    one pair of new balance running shoes,
                    one pair reichle (sp?) hiking books,
                    one pair rocket dog flat shoes (with holes in the bottom but no-one at work knows that right?),
                    one pair flat boots.
                    One pair of gorgeous mary jane heels from marks and spencer (here in Ireland) as they are super comfortable, but I still would not walk far in them, for rare dressing up occasions.
                    Oh and pink flowery wellies and steel toed boots for work!
                    All these shoes are old. I am not accumulating anything at the moment in preparation for the big move across the Atlantic. The thing is with Birks is they last too long, and I cant justify having more than one pair at the moment, but I like the sound of the cow print ones ... one day!
                    I actually love looking at pretty shoes when I am shopping, but can never imagine wearing them. I also have big feet and they never look so pretty in my size! And, I too have awful bunions, nothing to do with previous stiletto wearing either, obviously!

Comment

I admit that I'm a total shoeaholic....I do find that I wear a combo of Clarks, Birks and sneakers most of the time now. I am UBER clumsy and figure that wearing any kind of heel and carrying the baby is just a bad combination!

Comment

I have no idea what half of the words are in this post.

I mostly wear four pairs of shoes. My tennis shoes are one, and then I have black sandals that I wear almost every day. Black moccasins from Lands End for colder days, and finally one pair of heels that I have worn 3 or 4 times.

I do have a few more pairs hiding in my closet, mostly all sandals, but I couldn't tell you the last time I wore any of them. Oh, and I do have some ballroom shoes that I can't part with (my most expensive shoes ~$80). Other than that I can't bear to spend more than $25.

Oh, and I have one purse, and I wear it out until I can't use it anymore, and then I get a new one. color_me_sulky made me one that is colorful, but I usually go for all black and small.

I am so boring.

I wear jeans and a t-shirt almost every day. I hardly ever wear jewelry, and I hardly wear makeup. Oh yeah, I am styling!
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Hey Birks afficianados- did you know that you have have you shoes resoled? Just like Coach and D & B purses- they want you to have their products forever.

Yup and they'll fix any broken straps on the sandals, too. (I have one pair that for whatever reason, Rick steps on when we're walking- he's done it like ten times. I don't know if he's trying to get rid of me, the shoes, or both)

Jenn

Comment

[quote=Miss November]
                            Originally posted by "spotty_dog":60e6b
                            Shoes say a lot about a person don't they? I miss my Birks, I kept misplacing one or the other of a pair when I'd move. I always wore mine with socks. Now that I'm getting into handknit socks, I really should get some new Birks to show them off with! Can't afford 'em though.

I have NO idea how many pairs of shoes I own but my favorite deal was on a pair of Miu Miu's (I'll add a pic later. :> ) that were originally around $425 and I got them for $52. No joke. And I get compliments on them every time I wear them.

Please come to the east coast in June, when Vishenka and I will be hosting a weekend retreat for the fashion clueless. :>[/quote:60e6b]
                            That's what initially scared me away from this site - all the Birks and 5 kids discussions. :!

I'd love to host a weekend retreat! That's a great idea. Your place or mine? Mine has better shopping.

DH has a great story about how many shoes I have. He didn't realize the quantities until we were moving for the first time together and he saw half a truck filled with boxes labeled "Shoes" and "Boots." :>

Comment

DH has a great story about how many shoes I have. He didn't realize the quantities until we were moving for the first time together and he saw half a truck filled with boxes labeled "Shoes" and "Boots."
                              Amelda...that's what we will dub you, next user name change!!!

Comment

Who's Amelda?

Comment

Working...
                                X