Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Do you subscribe to any magazines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Simple
    Time
    Sports Illustrated
    Wine Spectator
    Cooks Illustrated

(all of these but Sports Illustrated are gifts! )
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I have a real magazine problem. Since DH finished, I've subscribed to...everything. Everything. I have absolutely no self control. At least we haven't bought new cars or too much expensive furniture or clothing. Just hundreds of dollars or paper.

DH and I get:

Real Simple
      Bon Apetit
      This Old House (I loke this better than the Fine Homebuilding replacement, Nellie )
      Domino
      Better Homes and Gardens
      Writer's Digest (don't laugh!)
      Self
      Oprah
      Yoga Journal
      National Geographic
      Smithsonian
      The Week
      Newsweek
      Atlantic Monthly
      The New Yorker
      Consumer Reports
      Car and Driver

local paper
      NYT
      Wall Street Journal

Gyn Onc
      Green Journal
      Science These are all paid for by work
      Cell
      Neuron

DD gets:

Nat Geographic Kids
      Young Rider
      Pony (one of those crazy book club things But she actually reads the magazine each month....)
      Highlights (classroom fundraiser)

DS doesn't read them, so he no longer gets Nick or Sports Ill Kids. :nana:

Some are gifts. I've started just asking for magazine subscriptions from friends and family for Christmas or birthdays. I love them and they are relatively inexpensive and easy to send long distance.

If I order, I always do so through Publisher's Clearinghouse or the school fundraisers. The subscriptions are usually around 10-15 dollars. I read a lot about magazine sales when we were trying to set up MDFamily; I learned that the mags lose money on PCH to hook people in. Now, I never renew unless I LOVE a magazine and want to support the company. Otherwise, I just resubscribe at the low rate for the next year. The shame!
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Thanks, Angie. I'll peruse a This Old House. I really miss Inspired House. I'm not sure if our Mid-Century Modern (ranch ) is old enough for This Old House? But if we remodel (again :thud it will probably be an older Cape Cod type style.

Heidi, I got some great deals on e-bay. That is where I subsribed to most of our magazines.

Comment

We only get the JAMA and newsletter-y things that get sent to my dawkter.

Seems like almost everyone gets Real Simple...I've never read it...must go look at it...
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

We currently only get free surgery journals/magazines. I have in the past subscribed to Burda (clothing pattern magazine) and was given Self once as a gift. If I was to subscribe I'd probably do cooking light, veg times, self or natural health.
            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I used to get Cooking Light and loved looking at all the gorgeous pictures but I realized that most of the recipes were too complicated for me/required too many ingredients that I didn't have. So I stopped getting it.

How is Everyday with Rachel Ray? Are the recipes simpler/fewer ingredients? I'm also looking into some veggie mags.

Comment

Yes, the Rachel Ray recipes are shorter/easier, very similar to her cookbooks. I've tried a few out of each and haven't found any I didn't like.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I get Mother Earth News and the Georgia Farmers Bulletin.

DH gets at least 15 journals that he doesnt pay for.
                  Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Oh boy, this is pathetic for it just being me who lives here...

Real Simple
                    Bon Apepetit
                    Gourmet
                    Food & Wine
                    Lucky
                    Oprah
                    Saveur
                    US Weekly
                    Fitness
                    Shape
                    food&family
                    Cooking Light

luckily I buy most of these subscriptions on eBay and save a TON of money

Comment

Cosmo
                      Modern Woman
                      Ok!
                      US
                      People
                      National Inquirer

....and those are just mine...

Ok...not really.

Wall Street Journal
                      Money
                      Forbes

DW gets every imaginable Ped's journal and association flyer known to medicine. The mail carrier hates us.
                      I have am going to make a tree from the WSJ's...really. If they can recycle papers that originally come from trees, I integrate them the other way, right?!?

Comment

I'm trying to figure out which cooking magazines to order. I want some.

My friend, Beth gave me a few of her magazines to read, and so far, I really LOVE Cuisine at Home. I think I will order that one, but I haven't tried any of the recipes out of it. I also ordered Saveur because I got it on Ebay for like $4.00 for a year. The other ones are more expensive. SO, I am asking, what are the best cooking magazines?

Please keep in mind, I am not a big wine lover.

Gourmet
                        Cooking Light
                        Cooks Illustrated
                        Saveur
                        Food and Wine
                        Fine Cooking
                        Cusine at Home

What should I subscribe to? I can't subscribe to all of them. Recommendations?
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Heidi-

Have you seen Eating Well? I like it because it's really oriented to the everyday cook but the recipes are great and the food is all nutritious. I prefer it over Cooking Light.

Saveur is great. I used to get Food and Wine but stopped because the recipes required hours and hours to prepare. Cooks Illustrated is a very interesting read and they do take apart all aspects of the recipe to ensure that it's done right- but I stopped getting it because I made not one recipe from the magazine after subscribing for years.

Jenn

Comment

Heidi, from your list, Fine Cooking is the magazine I get the most out of. I make at least one meal a week from the current or back editions and probably more like 3 or more a week. There is very little focus on wine in that one. Some recipes are a little heavier than is practical for daily eating but I find it is easy to just cut back on the oil or butter and it still turns out well.

I used to pick up Cooking Light at the grocery store. I think I learned some good fat and calorie reducing ideas from the magazine. After a while, the length of it got overwhelming and it seemed like some recipes repeated. Another gripe for me is with the desserts -- they are way too sweet and I think they upped the sugar content to increase calories and hit the 30% of fat from calories goal (reverse logic, I know). I think a one year subscription would be be nice though. I just wouldn't continue it after that. I have one of their cookbooks that I like (quick Cooking Light recipes?).

I love Saveur for the photos and articles but find the recipes are very practical sometimes. Am I really going to dig a pit in the backyard to roast a pig? Extreme example.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                              Am I really going to dig a pit in the backyard to roast a pig? Extreme example.
                              My family's actually done this for large parties and luaus! It's a ton of work, but it's really really good. But I wouldn't recommend it for the everyday dinner.

I probably use the most recipes from Fine Cooking too.
                              Married to pediatric surgery fellow, SAHM to 2 munchkins

Comment

The Economist

The Weekly Standard

Hi-Lights (the one aimed for 2-3 years olds)--my son loves this (lots of visual games)

National Geographic for Kids

A bar journal I get for free with my state bar dues--Does this even count? I read it primarily for the gossip. It publishes the names of all the attorneys who've received disciplinary actions by the bar...I always look to see if there's someone I know!

And about a jillion surgery/neurology journals--Who is paying for these? We're not! They just show up! And take up shelf space.

Comment

Working...
                                X