Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Have you seen your SO in action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen him with patients but I did bring the baby to the hospital when he was on call on Christmas, and we hung out eating cafeteria food in the residents' office type room -- he was in the middle of a surgical consult so I sat in and listened to the surgical residents discuss the options and tests and things with him and his senior. Interesting stuff. I also returned some pages for him when he was in the ER with gastroenteritis and couldn't work!
    Alison

Comment

When DH was a paramedic, I was able to do "ride alongs" on occasion (it was helpful that I was getting a degree in a related field and we weren't married yet). Have also seen him in action in the spur of the moment, out of the hospital, no paramedics can get there, really bad car wreck, someone needs immediate medical attention scenarios where we have pulled over to help, and then DH has been asked to stay when the medics do arrive. Once in this scenario, I had to move our car so that the medical helicopter had somewhere to land once it arrived.

Got to see all of his co-residents in action on Thanksgiving when my father-in-law collapsed (he's fine), and have seen him in action examining his own child (apparently he sees a difference in treating your own kid vs keeping your wife from embarrassing you by bringing the kid into the ED for nothing) on a near weekly basis.

DH is very intense when he works. We also seem to have very bad luck when we're flying and/or driving of either being the first on the scene of a crash or hearing the overhead page "is there a doctor on board?". The last time that happened, the other doc on board was an incredibly seasoned OB/GYN who basically said, unless someone was having a baby, he'd much rather a resident handle whatever was going on.

Basically, it is my goal on a daily basis not to see DH in action and not to have him "work" on his day off.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I have never seen him doing Onc stuff, but he did play "catcher" for a couple of our babies, and I thought he did a great job
        Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Malpka
          I have never seen him doing Onc stuff, but he did play "catcher" for a couple of our babies, and I thought he did a great job
          My DH was in total doctor mode when he caught ours too.

He's also huge on treating himself and friends. I first met our friend Joe during 2nd year in our dining room where he was getting a gash superglued after a bike ride. I still sport a small scar on my hand from the time I sliced myself open on his birthday at the beginning of 3rd year -- turned out my present to him was allowing him to put 4 stitches in me. He's been known to lidocaine himself and bring out the scalpel in order to do small surgical excisions of dermal oddities.
          Alison

Comment

When DH was in his second year of fellowship I watched a bipass. It took a while but it was very cool.
            Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I have seen DH intubate, place lines, and crack a chest when we both worked in the same hospital.

He removed a large mole on my scalp in his office here at home. Numbed me up, cut a huge chunk of my head and sewed me up beautifully. Only problem was he didn't tell me how much it was gonna hurt after the numbing wore off and since he can't prescribe me narcotics I had to deal with the pain and just take Motrin for a week or so. That completely sucked! He has also stiched our neighbors hand when he cut it with a box cutter. Wrote him a script for antibiotics and he was out the door! Talk about a full service doc!

Comment

Sort of. I have seen him examine relatives (when they ask for favors). I have been to the hospital with him but he won't let me into their ward for some reason. I've seen pictures of him though. They love taking pictures of each other in the OR.

I hate letting him do stuff to me. He's really rough. He was looking in my ears the other day bc I thought I had an ear infection and I screamed at him bc he poked major cartilage. Granted, it's not a part of the body he regularly examines, but come on! A couple of months ago he wanted to give me an IV at home (even bought all the stuff) but I said no way. He's given me shots before but I only accept them very reluctantly (like when I had a stomach virus and couldn't take the meds orally).

Comment

Well, I have seen him sew up our neighbor little girl. He's removed a mole on me, x-rayed my foot, and delivered our daughter.

I'd like to see him in the OR though.
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I have...and I admit that the first time I later said "OMG...you are really a doctor".
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

He gave me fluids once when I had a stomach flue and was super dehydrated. Never seen him in action in the hospital and have no desire to so it in the future. Don't like hospitals or sick people and definitely don't want to be anywhere near an OR. Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                        I have...and I admit that the first time I later said "OMG...you are really a doctor".
                        I think that would be my reaction too! We go to social functions with his department (scrub techs, nurses, etc.) all the time and they always tell me how much they enjoy working with him. But I think it would sink in with me like that as well.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Only at home. I think I have the only 2 year old that *asks* to have her ears checked with Daddy's 'ear looker'.

He checked our neighbor's sons ears once too to see if his ear infection had cleared up so they could stop giving the antibiotics.
                          Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                            I felt the same way when DH took me to see the OR. I donned my scrubs and he showed me around. It was fascinating! I was very proud!

I've seen him at work a few times and can't believe how he's able to mulit-task; talk on the phone, check labs, talk to another resident, all at once. It's a pity he leaves that particular skill at the hospital :>
                            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

The first time was while he was an intern. My golden and I volunteered at the hospital (animal assisted therapy). Often DH's team would round when we were there. We especially enjoyed it when he was on peds because he would tell his patients to be on the lookout for his dog. They would never believe him and then their eyes would get big when the therapy team would show up and DH would point out his dog. The memory still makes me smile because it was something that all three (DH, pup and me) could share.

DH and I have also participated in several medical missions. I am still amazed how attentive to detail he can be in the medical setting yet lose this ability once home.
                              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Yes, I have. We worked together for over a year. Funnily enough its the embarrassing stories I can tell about him that stick to my mind like the senile little old lady who could only remember his name and no one elses following him around the department making 'naughty' comments and pinching his bum. So when I think of DF at work its images like that that come to mind

Comment

Working...
                                X