Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

waaaaah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For premium or basic?

I paid $2.86 today (on the MO side ... gas always seems to be a bit cheaper there. FYI Davita).

Comment

For regular - $3.70.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I wonder how we compare here.

Let me do the maths. (Correct me if you notice a mis-step!)

We are currently paying about A$1.26 per litre for regular unleaded (although around $1.33 in Sydney.)
        There are 3.79L to one US gallon (I think? We don't use gallons.)

Therefore, we pay A$4.78 per gallon.

At today's exchange rate, that equals US$3.94 per gallon. (But we earn Australian dollars, not American ones, so imagine what $4.78 a gallon feels like!)

Petrol is far from sustainable...I wonder what the world will look like in 50 years time?

Comment

Ours has been dropping since Thursday, we're down to $3.18. I thought that was odd with the holiday weekend but oh well.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Is there some kind of holiday in the US at the moment? Our petrol prices have been pushed up even further, and I've heard it was the result of increased demand in the US as people go away for some kind of break?

I wonder how much longer this can go on... Will most people just have to stop driving at some point?

Comment

Here in NM we're paying $3.40 for regular. Last week I came across a gas station selling for $3.11, so I pulled in and the place was packed. There was even a policeman directing traffic!

Our public transportation system is terrible too. It's great if you're going to downtown, but that's about it. I'm determined to find a way to make it work this summer since the monthly pass only costs $12. Cross my fingers that I manage to keep my sanity!
              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

It used to be a much more solemn occasion with small town parades and people going to the cemetaries but as fewer and fewer (thankfully) people are dying in wars that has given way to a three-day weekend of fun.

In DC there is a really nice Memorial Day parade which is nice to see.

Jenn

Comment

I should've paid more attention, but since I bought gas at the only gas station on the island I didn't have much of a choice I filled up my little Kia Rio for $30 and I expect that to last me about a month.
                  Cristina
                  IM PGY-2

Comment

I've stopped looking at the prices. It's just too depressing.

Comment

This is solidifying my belief that dh needs to trade in his minivan (we currently are driving two - one for each of us) for a Prius. We live 20 miles out from any real urban area and, while I love where we live, a drawback is this incredible price for fuel!

Right now we both drive Toyota Siennas (I have the 2005 model, dh is driving an older 2001). And, I love my Sienna - but dh does waaaaay more driving than I do and we could use a more cost-efficient vehicle just for him.
                      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                      With fingernails that shine like justice
                      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

The best thing about Q3 is that dh doesn't have to drive to and from work much! That's the only good thing I can think of!

The cheapest I have seen in the city recently is $3.57 for regular.
                        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Even on the military bases gas is over three dollars.

My little Yaris is looking like the deal of the century at this point and there's no way we're getting rid of the Audi for some big gas guzzler BMW M3 at this stage of the game (even if we could afford it- which we can't)

I had put the newer and better car seat in the Audi to use as the primary vehicle and then didn't use it because my fab husband neglected to register his car before he left. I finally registered his car last week but I'm switching the car seat back to my car- why drive a car that gets mileage in the mid-20s when I can drive one that gets mileage in the mid to upper 30s.

Jenn

Comment

I saw a man on the news that ups his gas mileage by:
                            -shutting off his car whenever possible (like when a train stops you) and it's a myth that turning your car on wastes more gas
                            -coasting in neutral whenever possible
                            -keeping his speed to 55mph max
                            -no A/C
                            -no sudden starting or quick accelerating

Comment

Originally posted by KarrotKake22
                              -shutting off his car whenever possible (like when a train stops you) and it's a myth that turning your car on wastes more gas
                              -no A/C
                              also keeping your tires properly inflated is another important detail to maintain for optimal milage...apparently underinflated tires really can take a toll on your milage.

Comment

Originally posted by KarrotKake22
                                -no A/C
                                Where does this man live? It is getting pretty hot in my part of the world. I do not think that I could survive without any a/c -especailly come July/August.

I have heard that you actually use more gas by turning your A/C off and rolling down your windows because your car is no longer as aerodynamic as it could be. I have not researched this belief so I do not know if it is fact. Anyone heard it too? Or can disprove or prove??
                                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Working...
                                X