Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

scrubs shortage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grandma ironed sheets. As far as I'm concerned, that was of another era, and I plan on keeping it in that era.

As far as scrubs go, DH dragged a box of scrubs "collected" from med school to our new locale. He can't wear them here because they are the "wrong" color, so I sewed them together (I had no sewing experience) to make a blanket. It's kinda cute, and it reminds me of his med school days (I don't know why I need to be reminded of that- but oh well).

Comment

During training, I finally dumped three laundry basket size loads of scrubs into DH's trunk with a sticky on his steering wheel: RETURN CONTENTS OF TRUNK TO THE HOSPITAL THAT PAYS YOU SIX BUCKS AN HOUR!!!!

He was not amused and spent the next three weeks smuggling them in. He was too embarassed to bring in one big garbage bag full.
      Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

My host parents in Germany had a sheet ironer - you could stick the sheet in a big iron press type thing and they came out all flat and warm. Dh's parents don't have one of those, but their housekeeper irons their sheets.

Dh used to want everything ironed. Undershirts (for under dress shirts), t-shirts, pillow cases, jeans(!). Now, he's just happy to have clean clothes. There's no way in h*ll I will do all of that.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Well, I'm also pleading the fifth on the matter of scrubs somehow having found their way into my house during residency and managing to fill up an entire dresser drawer on their own.....

And, good grief! Ironing?!? I iron NOTHING. It's to the point that a few years ago I bought the wrinkle-resistant dress shirts for dh from Brooks Brothers when he needed some nice ones. Those things are golden.

Heck, I even forget to use stain remover prior to washing....
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Another who irons nothing. DH will iron his own shirt if he has something super fancy to go to (interview or such), otherwise I just hang them up out of the dryer.

As far as scrubs go- best maternity pajama pants ever, and I have a big stash
            Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Well, it should come as no surprise that the military issues scrubs and you have to hand them back in at check out in order to be allowed to outprocess from the hospital...

Jenn

ETA: and doctor coats, too.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                Well, it should come as no surprise that the military issues scrubs and you have to hand them back in at check out in order to be allowed to outprocess from the hospital...

Jenn

ETA: and doctor coats, too.
                Not at dh's hospital! They don't issue them and there doesn't seem to be any tracking system for them. It's pretty much the same as dh's residency hospital.
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Yeah, we have a huge stash of scrubs, too! I swear, half the wash that I do consists of scrubs that someone else will gladly (or not!) wash for free!

On the other hand, scrub pants are super comfy, so I don't *really* mind having those around!

Comment

DH couldn't wear/bring scrubs home either, (he even got reamed by an attending once about it when he tried to sneak out in them) which was nice, especially because I would have had HUGE issues about the body fluids that would have entered our house if he had. However, the result of this was that DH would wear one outfit to and from work literally for weeks at a time, since he only wore the clothes during his commute and usually went to bed as soon as he was home. I never saw him in anything but the one set of clothes, like some weird variation of that movie "Groundhog Day". Saved on laundry, though! :huh:

These days, we usually have about three sets of scrubs at home at any one time. Not too bad!
                    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Mine will change into a clean set of scrubs right before leaving the hospital to come home, then those will be his clean scrubs to wear the next day. He's the laundry guy at our house, so he has a vested interest in getting the hospital to wash anything they're willing to wash. We do have some scrubs from med school, but the only one who wears them is me (pajamas!).
                      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

We're on the scrubs for tokens system, too. The most we ever have at home is 2 sets.

The body fluids talk reminded me of when DH came home from the hospital one day while doing a gastro rotation... With a grin on his face he pointed to a small brown stain on the cuff of his dress shirt and said, "Guess what that is..."

No way would I EVER iron sheets.

Comment

My FIL is a surgical assistant and wears scrubs and I love to wear them for PJ's. They're sooo comfy!

I also avoid ironing at all costs. I'm too lazy to pull out the ironing board and having to put it back, so more times than not I'll end up doing a 1/2 ass job ironing on the floor.
                          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
                          X