Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Harry Potter Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter Anyone?

Did anyone else do the whole Harry Potter party thing last night?

I took all 5 kids to Barnes and Nobles last night at 9pm and Thomas was going to follow us about 30 minutes later. We were going in two cars so that I could take Aidan and Zoe home with me....Little did we know that the lines to get in would be outrageous. I got in with my kids and within about 10 more minutes, the store was at capacity! I had forgotten to bring my cell phone with me (of course) AND they had taken out the train table and all kids play stuff to make room for Harry Potter games. Aidan was bored out of his mind.

Zoe had already fallen asleep and she was sleeping soundly in her buggy.

I finally ran into someone I knew with a cell phone and got in touch with Thomas. He had been standing in the line outside for an hour. By this time, Aidan was practically climbing the walls....and Thomas was super annoyed at waiting outside. We had to make a snap decision about who would stay. The people outside were annoyed and so we just opted for me to no leave the store to create less difficulty.

He went to the doors of the B & N and I gave him Aidan and Alex (also bored). Zoe was sleeping and all snuggled up in her buggy AND dh didn't have her carseat in his car.

I assumed it would be fine because she was fast asleep and we were in a quiet place in the B & N.

Then when midnight came around, we were told we would have to go outside. Andrew's wristband was and "L" and the G's and above had to wait outside. It was colder (but I had Zoe's blankets, so that wasn't the issue). We were standing in line behind a huge group of rowdy college students that were screaming and hooping and hollering and laughing and arguing...and they woke her up. It's of course par for the course.....I wouldn't have expected them to be quiet just because I had Zoe there, of course.

But then I had to take her out of the buggy and hold her for the rest of the time and people looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Hey....I didn't know that there were going to be thousands of people showing up this year at B & N and that I wouldn't be able to easily leave at 10 with Zoe and Aidan in tow.....we planned for it by even having Thomas come with a separate car. Get over it people. Sometimes these things happen.

Anway...Andrew got his book and he read all night...he was so happy that it was all totally worth it!

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

We decided to avoid the crowds and ours is being delivered today by amazon.

We're dweebs and we read it out loud to each other so it takes us a few weeks to get through them. I'm hoping to avoid the spoilers until then.
    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

*sob* The spoilers have already begun! I read the blog of a blind lady, and apparently the Braille version came out yesterday -- she already posted, and even without actually revealing content, her reaction is spoiler enough.

Please, please, Mr. UPS man, bring me a surprise box!

Otherwise I think I'll be spending tomorrow calling around to book stores!

Kris, sounds like quite an adventure.
      Alison

Comment

I picked mine up at Target this morning and as soon as my house is clean for the dinner guests we're having I'll be starting it.

My mall's B&N had a big thing and I hear it was PACKED! Ack!
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

That's a bummer Cheri!

Please - if anyone posts their reactions or anything about the content - make it obvious in advance so I know to avoid the thread! I'll be so disappointed if I hear who dies (or doesn't?) before we get to it in the book.

We don't watch tv and this is the only board/blog that I go to regularly so I'm hoping we get lucky. We have in the past.
          Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

It is nice that MSNBC has Spoiler Alert in big letters on the title of their article, so if you don't want to know, don't even open it!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

My friend told me that a copy of the book leaked to the NY Times in time for them to post an article yesterday? I'm not even going to go looking for it!
              Alison

Comment

We (me + 10 yo +8 yo) got to Joseph Beth at 10:00. The kiddos dressed up in Hogwarts and Quidditch robes. Needless to say it was packed! It was really difficult to move through to see all the stations. We did get to make potions and get assigned our house via the sorting hat. They didn't require a line, but at 11:30 we joined the line that formed on its own. Wow, what a line. Across a courtyard from JB there is a Chipotle restaurant and across another courtyard is a Crate and Barrel. The line made it all the way to Crate and Barrel and down the side. I heard the store's estimate of numbers last night as 1200. At midnight, screams of excitement went up from all the young ones in line. JB's system was quick chaos, the line moved very fast and empty boxes were flying throught the air. They must have had 25 employees behind the counter tossing books at those with vouchers. At 12:17, we were in the car and on the way back home. DS read until he fell asleep around 3:00.

I am so glad we went, especially since this is the last book in the HP series (or so we think ). I don't know when another opportunity like this will come around again: when so many young people are so excited about reading that they would turn out in costume and in force dragging weary parents with them at midnight for a book.

Right now all three of my kids are sitting in the living room reading. There is not a tv or video game on anywhere in the house.

I did read the spoiler in the Plain Dealer this morning, so I know who dies and how. That's all I'll say.

Comment

Heidi! I can't believe you read the spoiler!

DH & I went to an HP party sponsored by a local indy bookstore. A friend won tickets (including a copy of the book) but couldn't go, so she gave them to us (but wants the book). The party included a showing of the new movie on the largest IMAX screen in the midwest (that's a whole lotta Voldemort!), followed by a bunch of giveaways and then the passing out of the book.

It was fun, but long and D R A W N out. But the movie ended at 11:20, and then the little old couple who own the indy bookshop who put on the affair had to stretch for 40 minutes. They had 47 prizes donated by various local vendors, and the woman felt the need to describe the location, amenities, etc. of EACH AND EVERY PLACE. I understand she wanted to give props to the vendors who donated, but she went a bit too far. Example: Ahhh - the zoo! Who here has been to the zoo? Who here hasn't been to the zoo? Does everyone know where our zoo is? A similar poll ensued for EACH AND EVERY PLACE. If the prize was a gift certificate for a restaurant (always owned by their friends) they'd tell us their favorite dishes, etc. We wouldn't have hung around but we had to pick up Liz's copy of the new book.

I started to read Liz's copy last night, and mine is arriving today!

Comment

My local bookstore came through!!!! Yeah, independents! I went in this morning and asked my bookstore guy when I could get an unreserved copy of HP.....and he said "How about now?"

I bought two and the kids are reading now. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!!!

I can't wait for everyone to go to bed. And, FYI, we finally got our hot tub installed and running on the back patio. I'm seeing me, DH, a few glasses of Pinot and a couple of HP books tonight. Not exactly Nick and Vanessa hot tub action, but - hey - we're old married folks.
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade

I can't wait for everyone to go to bed. And, FYI, we finally got our hot tub installed and running on the back patio. I'm seeing me, DH, a few glasses of Pinot and a couple of HP books tonight. Not exactly Nick and Vanessa hot tub action, but - hey - we're old married folks.

Sounds good to me!

Two copies is a great idea.

Comment

The idea of beating down the masses at midnight and being 36 weeks pregnant did not appeal to me. Althought now that I think about it being as large as I am I could have been like Moses with my belly, parting the way. Because who on earth is going to mess with a grumpy large pregnant lady?

I should be getting my copy today I ordered from Amazon back in February via UPS. Now that I think of it I don't think UPS delivers on Saturday in our area. I guess we'll see!

Crystal
                        Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I am, apparently, the only person on earth who has never read Harry Potter. I understand that it is a very engaging series with well-developed characters. It just never sounded really appealing to me...

I am reading "House of God" right now (sort of a "Paper Chase" for the first year of residency). My guess is, the new Harry Potter book, whatever the outcome, is more redeeming...

Comment

Originally posted by Amiens
                            I should be getting my copy today I ordered from Amazon back in February via UPS. Now that I think of it I don't think UPS delivers on Saturday in our area. I guess we'll see!

Crystal
                            They came via USPS here. (I also ordered through Amazon). Hopefully you got yours. DH took the boys to a movie and I've been reading. I think I may take a nap tho ... reading and a quiet house make me sleepy ..

Comment

is it a bad thing that I'm already on pg 269? has anyone seen my children?

Comment

Working...
                              X