Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Digital camera recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Canon A540 and I love it. Before it I had a fancier (at its time) camera but I found I never took any pictures because the camera was too bulky to take with me all the time.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com for some good reviews.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Comment

try Yousendit.com....or a similar service that allows for large file transfer.

Comment

My Canon point and shoot does great macros... See below:

Really though, I would recommend my Canon's big sis, the AS640. It's pretty awesome and a GREAT price for all the features you get!!

http://www.prestigecamera.com/product~id~cnpsa640.htm

Comment

Thanks for the info, Stella. Those pics are fantastic! Do you find that there is a long flash recharge time with your camera? I have that problem with my current camera (the screen goes blank for 3 seconds or more while the flash recharges after a picture), but I've heard it only happens when using AA batteries. Cameras with lithium batteries don't seem to have the problem?

Also, when you're taking those macro shots, do you use manual focus? The Canon SD cameras don't have manual focus, so I'm thinking I would limit myself.

I did go to Target yesterday, and I was really surprised with how small the Canon SD's were. They may be *too* small. I'm going to a camera store today to try things out. Hopefully, they'll be able to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks all for the info! I'll keep you posted!
          Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

I'm not Stella but the flash delay is MUCH better with my Canon SD then it was with my Sony that I had previously.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Just wanted to add another vote for Canon. We have the SD800 and LOVE it! It's small enough for my pocket, takes great pics, and most importantly for me it's user friendly!

Previoulsy we had a Kodak and it quit working within months of the 1 year warranty expiring. We contacted Kodak and they refused any service to us.
              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I've got a Canon SD600. I like it a lot. My only gripe with it is that you really should buy a backup battery. Canons use their own batteries. Once the battery meter starts blinking you have like 5 minutes of juice and that's it. No more pics for you!

If the Olympus 780 had been out when I bought the Canon I would have gone with that. It has a 5x optical zoom. I have an Olympus semi-pro so it would have made more sense since the memory and menus are the same.

Comment

we bought a Canon G7 for our anniversary. It is a tad bigger than the tiny point and shoots, but it has some amazing features and you can add lenses and an external flash if you want. It focuses on faces and has image stabilization. It is really hard to take blurry pictures. Anyway, we bought from amazon.com and saved sales tax and no shipping

Good luck.
                  Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Originally posted by tlew12778
                    I've got a Canon SD600. I like it a lot. My only gripe with it is that you really should buy a backup battery. Canons use their own batteries. Once the battery meter starts blinking you have like 5 minutes of juice and that's it. No more pics for you!

If the Olympus 780 had been out when I bought the Canon I would have gone with that. It has a 5x optical zoom. I have an Olympus semi-pro so it would have made more sense since the memory and menus are the same.
                    Not all Canons use their own batteries. Mine uses AAs.

When I took those shots above, I used the macro setting. Easy as pie. I hate not having manual focus though, but I'm trying to make photos my business now, so it's not just personal use. I'm saving up to buy a Nikon SLR for the professional stuff and I'm going to keep my Canon Point and Shoot for throwing in my bag everyday. It just depends what level of control you need. There are some great Canon P&Ss that offer the benefits of both.

Comment

Again, thanks everyone for the great opinions. I ended up getting the one I'd been looking at: Canon SD850. So far, I love it! We are going on vacation tomorrow for a week, so I plan on taking lots of pictures to test it out.

Thanks again!
                      Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

we just bought a canon 630. I was convinced on the 640 (that Stella reccomended), but the store I was at didn't have it in stock. 8 megapixels vs. 10, but very highly rated on Consumer Reports.

I have the Canon Digital Rebel and LOVE it, with the one complaint that is sure is bulky. That's okay when I'm in a "let's hang out and take pictures" mood, but if we're traveling or just out and I want to snap a picture, it's rather involved. I'd managed to scratch my lens and needed to buy a new one, so I figured I'd buy a new, smaller camera and save the purchase of a new, fancy lens for a later date.

Comment

Working...
                        X