Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fricken Fire ants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fricken Fire ants

Yup- stepped in a mound this past Saturday and have three nasty bites on the top of my now VERY swollen left foot. I have only clawed off the skin about 1500 times so far. Benedryl has done nothing but make me sleepy. Booze (to the quantities that I will require) has far too many calories.

SO, it's an ice pack and keep the foot elevated...

and the nasty part for those who haven't ever had the pleasure is that (at first-in about 8-12 hours) while your skin is on fire from the bites they form what look like pimples, except that they are fire-filled pustules of itchy hellishness.

and when you claw those off in the middle of the night, and/or they burst on their own because whichever body part swells so much you feel like your skin is going to split, you get to the oozy weepy wound stage when your bites literally drip ick. and in two weeks provided you don't develop cellulitis, you get to the best part: Your bite area will itch for the next four months. randomly. and every so often forever more.

Thanks again, China.

J.

Re: Fricken Fire ants

Originally posted by DCJenn
    except that they are fire-filled pustules of itchy hellishness.
    that sounds like something that we wish on our enemies. how awful!!!

Comment

Ughh!! I hope your foot gets better soon.
      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Ugghh! From that description I think I would choose a scorpion sting over those nasty little fawkers anyday! My cleaning lady has suffered from those buggers and pretty much described what you just posted...eeeghads!

Comment

OH, Jenn....healing vibes being sent your way. Fireant bites are so painful.

I say forget the calories and go for the Tequila.

kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Owieowieowie! I hope you feel better sooner than expected. That stinks.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Yikes, that sounds awful!! I hope you start to feel better soon.
              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I feel your pain...literally.

Comment

Hope the fire goes away soon! I know exactly what you mean - for the amount of pain they cause, you should have a much more impressive wound! That needle-stick of fire makes me wanna cuss!!!!

Comment

Prednisone and Tequila!!!! Not necessarily in that order.
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I am so glad to be back in the land of friendly ants.

Each of my boys got bad bites when we lived there.....they would crawl up the kid's shoe and ankle, and then down into their little socks, where they would bite a ring around their ankle where the elastic would stop them from going further. It would look DISGUSTING. Poor babies. I'm sorry, Jenn!

Sally
                      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Incredibly bad luck.... So sorry!
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

yeah- it's funny because you think "how bad could an ant bite be?"

Yowza.

The foot is better, I was able to stuff it into a shoe and go to the gym today.

Thanks for the well-wishes!

Jenn

Comment

I'm Glad to hear your able to wear a shoe! Did you step in the mound on your property?

Comment

unfortunately.

We had a huge mound when we moved in, so I took care of it and the surrounding areas- but with all of the rain, they can float and start a new mound wherever they land. So, one more thing to add to the to do list- I'm going to call the exterminator and have them treat for fleas and ticks, too.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X