Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Is it bad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it bad...

that I'm keeping imsn as my secret and not telling DH?

I randomly bring up recent topics here to him, (i.e. retreats, advice re scrubs, mortgages, etc.) and he's looking at me like "dude, where are all these questions coming from?"

And I respond with a grin.

Just out of curiousity, how did your DH/DW respond when you told them you found a medical spouse forum?

My dh was thrilled that I found a place to find support and bitch, and that I didn't have to rely on him for this, as I had been. Mostly, he is eternally grateful to this site for helping me, but occassionally it has bit him in the ass when I am in a sour mood because of something happening here.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

My wife laughs, asks if I talk about laundry stains.

"you don't post anything personal do you?"

Comment

Re: Is it bad...

Originally posted by jem
        I randomly bring up recent topics here to him, (i.e. retreats, advice re scrubs, mortgages, etc.) and he's looking at me like "dude, where are all these questions coming from?"
        That's funny, we did the same thing. I remember a conversation while we were driving in downtown Cleveland...about how some med schools do prosections instead of disections in Gross Anatomy. I could see in the back of his mind he was thinking, "where is she getting this info..."

DH is slightly amused by the website. He has said things like, "why don't you go to THAT website and find out..."

Comment

DH is pretty cool with it (made fun of me at first though)...but he is not a fan of his name being mentioned...esp when I bitch about things he has done.
          Danielle
          Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

at first my dh thought I was nutty. now he knows these people are my friends. the only time he gets weird about it is if I've posted something about an arguement on here. he gets really defensive - as though I've spilled our personal details to our neighbors.

Comment

My DH thought I was nutty at first too - now he realizes that its a good out for me when he's not around and prefers I come here and vent then get mad at him. More people IRL know I belong to an online resident spouse community, some look at me like I'm weird others have finally realized being married to a dawkter isn't all its cracked up to be.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

My husband teased me about it when I was still a lurker. Now, he seems interested (or humors me at least) when I tell him about something I read on here. I think he's glad I found a place where others feel my pain!

Comment

dh is actuall interested in all the peeps here. he will ask me how some of you all are doing...ones i talk about. he will come home and ask "how are the women?" (no offense guys )

he will even ask me to to post a thought or question, or search something he is interested in: jobs, taxes, placement, malpractice...blah, blah.
                  ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

At first he seemed less than thrilled. Neurosurgery is a really small world (there are only about 150 new NSG residents matched a year in the US) and I think he was concerned that I would write about something that might get read by someone and would eventually come back to him negatively. On one hand, that was a little paranoid ("Um, you're just not THAT interesting, dear, and neither is your program..."). On the other hand, I didn't want to do something that made him uncomfortable. However, he also saw that the website was great for me. I often feel like no one among my family, nonmedical friends, or professional world really understands what this life is about. So we came to an understanding: I don't write about any specific complaints I have about his program (no "the Chairman is an as$hole!!" kind of stuff--which, (1) I wouldn't do, anyway, and (2) the Chairman isn't an as$hole). I mean, I don't fabricate sunny details about his program or about NSG, but I don't name names, so to speak.

He asks me about certain people sometimes, because I have told him about some folks.

He definitely does NOT know my log-in info, though!!

Comment

He sees it as a good source of information, as I do. And he likes an interesting story as much as I do. We've had lots of good conversations launched by topics that have first come up here--I want to find out his take on a topic just like I want to find out all of yours.

He'll ask me "Sooo, how're the folks at spedmouse today?"
                      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

DH was really happy for me! He thought it was a great idea to have a virtual support community!

Comment

Many moons ago, dh used to refer to this as my "pretend life" with the "people who aren't real".

That has changed. He loves lurking in the general forums (no private forum privileges of course) and has been known to call me and say "you better get online and go to the debate forum" or "where is so-and-so...she hasn't posted in awhile". After an argument he has sometimes said "so what do *they* think you should do". :>

We talk about you guys as if....you are our best buddies and neighbors.

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

My husband was amusesd at first. Now, he knows better.

I refer to the people here as my friends. I use this site for work questions as well. What better resource to use than an bunch of handy docs. and people have been able to ask questions of my husband as well.

(although in all seriousness, may none of you ever need a Child Neurologist...)

jenn

Comment

Abigail, DH and I had the same concerns when I started posting here. I'm pretty open about where I'm located and the program but then again I don't have a lot of negative to say about ours either.

DH definitely doesn't know my login and password though.
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X