Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pagers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs. McPads
    Hear hear! I'll take that lesson...chucking it at his head sounds like a cathartic activity at 3am...

Thanks!
    It totally is! And I am completely serious. I hate that thing!

Comment

he keeps his pager away from the bed. It has the most annoying, tune? to it. It is a wierd multi-tonal beep.

I have only been dealing with it for 1 month.
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Ah, same here peggy, though 3rd year wasn't much fun on the pager either, and the sub-I was pretty bad. DF does keep in the bathroom, away from the bed, and it is the SAME multi-tonal beep that you spoke of. Something really and truly grating on my very soul. I can hear it in the bathroom, I can hear it downstairs, I can hear it everywhere, but DF? RARELY wakes up and stays up.

I wish I could sleep like that. I'm the lightest sleeper ever.

Eileen

Comment

DH is rarely without his pager and I notice right away if he doesn't have it on. He is on call roughly half of each month, and has to stay w/in 15-20 minutes of the hospital when he is on call.

I made "peace" with the pager long ago.
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

my dh no longer has a pager.

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate
              he keeps his pager away from the bed. It has the most annoying, tune? to it. It is a wierd multi-tonal beep.

I have only been dealing with it for 1 month.
              I think you'll get used to it. Just like people in big cities start to tune out the traffic. I've been living with the pager for more than 4 years now...I rarely notice it and it never wakes me up anymore.

Although, I'm sure there are some people who can never quite tune it out. :huh:

Comment

I don't hear my DH's pager most of the time though he's really good about getting up and shutting it off as soon as it goes off and he goes to the other end of the house to return calls so that I can't hear him.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by tlew12778
                  We don't have pagers here. All doctors have to give their cell phone numbers to the hospital and they get called directly. It's really annoying. A lot of doctors have two numbers in fact, so that they can turn their "hospital" number off when they are not on call.

DH left me at the dinner table at a restaurant once . The waiters didn't know what to do and were probably too embarassed to ask if he was gone for good or not. I ended up having to eat both our meals (thank God DH only ordered a salad) and having to flail my arms to get the waiters' attention (as they were all trying to discreetly ignore me) in order to get the bill and leave.
                  Tlew- How did you end up getting home? Don't tell me you had to hail a taxi cab?!

Comment

I hate the pager too. I am fortunate that DH *usually* turns it off by the first ring, and then he goes into the bathroom to return the call. I usually don't wake up.

I know some people whose doctor spouses will actually answer some pages right from the bed... Granted, they are the short ones, but I quickly let DH know that I REALLY appreciate it that he takes the time to get up out of bed so that I can sleep. No need to sacrifice two people's sleep!
                    Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

Angie was aso left at a restaurant, in a town that doesn't have cabs zooming by all the time.

And urowife - my dh was one that answered pages from bed. Thanks be for our new situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                        Angie was also left at a restaurant
                        Me too. Just the one time, though, we learned our lesson after that. No dinners out on call nights, or we take separate cars!

Fortunately DH doesn't get too many pages now that he's the chief resident. He'll get the occasional page in the middle of the night, but since they're so rare he usually just answers them from the bed. I've already been woken up by the damn thing so a few extra minutes of him talking to the intern isn't going to disrupt my sleep much more.

Now, when he had resident (consult) call, THAT was a different story. He would get paged like crazy, so rather than both of us losing sleep he would sleep in another part of the house (on the couch, or on the futon in the basement).
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                          my dh no longer has a pager.
                          When does this happen?
                          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

when he switches jobs and flies all over the country!
                            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
                              when he switches jobs and flies all over the country!
                              that would be it!

Comment

Working...
                              X