Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Stolen Credit Card Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Credit Card Number

So, yesterday I logon to my online banking acct and to my shock and dismay, was $-500 in my checking acct. WHAT?! There was a large purchase over $900 made on Monday, that WASN'T FROM ME!!! OMIGOD, this has never happened to me. Luckily, my bank is being great about the whole thing, I already have a new card, etc. Apparently, the transaction is still "pending" so there's nothing I can do about it until it's actually posted. When it does post, I'll file a claim and get my money back. The strangest part about the whole thing is that it appears as though the purchase was made by someone using one of those "mini" keychain type credit cards. I don't even have one of those :huh: and have never been issued one. So, some creep may have generated a phony card with my acct number. Sounds like something from a Soprano's episode, doesn't it???
    I feel so violated!! Nice Christmas gift, huh???
    Wife to a PGY-7 Interventional Cardiology Fellow, Mom to two. DS(7) and DD(3).

Re: Stolen Credit Card Number

Oh crap! Thank God you and your bank are on top of it!

Comment

Ugh! It's so much better when this happens with a CC and not a debit card. This has happened to both my husband and his mother. It sucks to have to wait for the purchases to post, but you'll get it cleared up, and you won't have to pay. Hang in there!
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Oh man that's aweful!!! I had my account number stolen twice, once by fraud on TJ Max, and found out via the credit card company and had to be reissued new cards. What unnerves me about it is that it's happened twice in this last year... But thankfully no charges that I know of. You, win the prize on most horrible violation of the year - at Christmas time of all times! :tsk:

Comment

Ugg - that sucks! Glad your bank is being helpful and not a PIA!

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

It just happened to me, too. I did the exact same thing- checked my bank one morning and there were 12 pending charges for airline tickets. (to Panama as it turned out)

Yikes! Glad the bank is cooperating.

Jenn

Comment

It's a bummer this has happened to you around Xmas time. Just an FYI, if your bank is BofA, I may have an explanation for you. I worked there a couple years ago and when they first started issuing out those mini cards, they gave the same card number as the existing one, just a different expiration number. So if your mail got misdelivered... Good news is you won't be out any money in the end. Just a hassle to deal with.
              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Wow what bank do you have and how do you think this happened ?

Comment

I seem to be hearing about this more and more. Two days ago in an elevator I overheard a women who had her debit card stollen and 1600 charged on it in about 20 minutes (the time it took her to realize her wallet was missing from her purse). Also, a few weeks ago my works business amex number was stollen (have no idea how) and $12,000 was charged in plane tickets from Dubi and electronics from Dell. Yikes! Atleast all charges have been reversed, but this is such a freaking epidemic! If Dell hadn't have called the office to check on the shipping address since it didn't match we would have had no idea until two more weeks and who knows how many more charges would have accrued!

I'm so glad your's was caught and being resolved!
                  Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Happened to me last month too. The number was stolen and about $500 worth of charges were made in New York. I only check my account 2 sometimes 3 times a week. Now I try to check it daily. The only reason I found out was because my credit card was denied. I immediately checked online as soon as I got home and called the bank. The bank already knew something was up and had "frozen" my card. We did get the $$$ reimbursed but still made me feel violated.

The bank people (we use USAA for both CC and debit) said that there was nothing we could have done differently. That every time we use our cards, the numbers can be stolen, etc.

Scary-scary.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

UGH! That completely sucks! Sorry!

Comment

Reviving this thread, because this just happened to DH and I! :horror: I logged on to our account, and it has been maxed out! Most of the charges are from Toys R US online stores, like $1500, $500, $300! This sucks. I've called the cc company and it has filed a fraud alert and is telling me to wait. :waiting: I hate waiting!

ETA: Dh and I haven't even lost our cards. We still have them. How do these guys get this information? Is it from something we've been doing online, like itunes?
                        Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Our CC company said that it could have happened anywhere. Eating out - giving the card to the server, purchasing something where the salesperson swipes your card OR better yet places where they still use those retro credit card/carbon copy thingies. They said it was nothing we could or should have done. We were in Houston at the time and the charges were being made in NY!

Frustrating!!!!
                          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

It's annoying, but that's why credit cards have consumer protection on them. We had a handful of wacky charges to our card a few months ago -- nothing extreme, probably a few hundred dollars in total -- so we just called the card, they froze our account and reversed the fraudulent charges and sent us new cards. Probably took a few days to get sorted out and we haven't had another problem since.
                            Alison

Comment

About ten years ago, my mom had her debit card number stolen from her receipt. Luckily her bank worked with her, froze the account, etc. It was still a pain.

Good luck, I hope you have a speedy resolution to this.
                              Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Working...
                              X