Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Starbucks vs. Dunkin Donuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starbucks vs. Dunkin Donuts

The best coffee I've ever had was in Costa Rica. I'm still kicking myself for brining back only 2lbs of it. I've recently bought Bellagio coffee from TJ Maxx and it's actually pretty good. Just as strong as Starbucks but much smoother (in a way that only European coffee can be )

Comment

I am from the grand city of Yakima. AKA "yakivegas", AKA "the Palm Springs of Washington!"

Ha ha ha ha ha...

Yakima is an interesting place, which had a raging debate about 10 years ago by the "city planners" whether to emphasize the "little Mexico" part of Yakima or the "Gateway to Wine Country" aspect. Duh, people. They went with the winery! Thank God!

We have a little espresso stand on every corner-- it's so funny. There are several Starbucks too. And people are addicted to coffee. I don't like the little espresso stand coffee- not strong enough, so I always go for the real deal.

Anyway, my mom was in the symphony (she plays oboe) for years and years, and so she has tons of "seattle friends" who have stayed at her house for symphony week (most of the people in the orchestra are brought in from Seattle)-- over the years, she's learned a lot about how to properly brew a cup of coffee!!! So funny...

I'll have to check out those beans, Allison! Strong, not bitter-- that's my speed...
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

In desperate moments, I've tried to order them from Chicago. They have a terrible website, and I have always ended up bringing a few pounds home with me... It isn't cheap though, something like $14/pound.

Vishenka, I can't drink Illy. Nor Lavazza. Too smooth for me.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

You can order DD coffee online. https://www.dunkindonuts.com/

Oh, and get me a pocket of hash browns and a DD tumbler to go with my order too, please.

My bus stop is in front it a DD, and I have never had the desire to go in.

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate
            I am from the grand city of Yakima. AKA "yakivegas", AKA "the Palm Springs of Washington!"
            Hee! I'm going to date myself, here, but my sixth grade teacher was visiting his mother in Yakima the weekend St. Helens blew. He told us all about how the sky was dark all day and they had inches of ash on the ground everywhere and he had trouble getting back to the west side of the mountains.

Where we were (just north of Seattle), we got a light dusting of ash, nothing more.

I don't drink straight coffee, so wouldn't be able to compare, but Starbucks is always good for a good hot chocolate with flavor, or a mocha frappuchino.
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I was 4 when St Helens blew-- I remember the ash! It was dark-- streetlights on and everything-- at noon. And since it was a Sunday, we were going to church in all that ash! Great for the cars, I'm sure. We still find ash on my parents' property once in a while when they are landscaping-- and last year they had their roof replaced, and there was tons of ash stuck under the shingles!

Good times...

BTW- Yakima does have a little Mexico part to it, for sure. But the city planners advertise it as the gateway to wine country... Lots of new hotels, and even a Hilton! Wow!

(I'm not a Yakima girl. Too small- I can't go back to live there, but hey, there are like 5 Starbucks there, I think!)
              Peggy

Comment

Yakima isn't something you hear everyday. I get serious PNW cravings, especially during winter.

When I tell people about Walla Walla sweets, and that you can bite into them like an apple, I get all the time.

The wind was unfortunately blowing south when Mt. St. Helens blew. I thought Portland got most of the ash. We went to Mt. St. Helens for our 5th grade trip. There was very little regrowth at the time.

Good times indeed.

Comment

I hear about Yakima-- when I buy apples mostly... Most of them come from Yakima, some from Walla Walla, and we buy the sweets from Safeway. I think we get the worst of the worst produce out here... It's so disappointing. DH used to bring me apples from his dad's orchard--- picked fresh that morning!

I've also heard about Yakima on national news updates for:

the first mad cow in the US
                  the idiot prisoners who escaped the jail
                  and some big illegal immigrant rally that my SIL helped organize, and consequently almost got fired over...
                  Peggy

Comment

I would bet you onions sprouting green "I've been lying here for months" growth, that we've got some pretty bad produce here.

I go to Costco for Fuji apples.

Comment

Originally posted by alison

The wind was unfortunately blowing south when Mt. St. Helens blew. I thought Portland got most of the ash. We went to Mt. St. Helens for our 5th grade trip. There was very little regrowth at the time.

Good times indeed.
                      I'm pretty sure the wind was blowing east. Places like Spokane got hit hard with the ash. I had relatives who lived in Spokane (they're deceased now) and they had a boat at Coeur d'Alene. When the Mt. blew, they had to drive back from the lake to Spokane. They said that at around noon the sky was so black and everyone had their headlights on, but they still could barely see the car in front of them.

I grew up in Gresham and I was 5 at the time the Mt. blew its top. I remember collecting ash in babyfood jars.
                      Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn
                        I love Starbucks. No surprise I'm sure.
                        Coffee at a fast food place? Um, no thanks. When we were looking for jobs we looked in Maine briefly and the selling point for one town was a Duncan Donuts. I kid you not. :huh:
                        Isn't that funny? A friend of mine, who grew up in the PNW, moved to RI. She called me one day after she had been living there for a while and giggled as she told me how people in the NE consider DD to have the best coffee. She thought it was funny how they order it in a box for group gatherings. She likened it to Franzia, the wine in a box.
                        Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Oh....Peets! We had one in Boston. The grocery here sells the coffee, but it doesn't seem as fresh. I should go back to ordering it by mail. I could never get the amounts right for the month.
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
                            Peets coffee beats Starbucks and Dunkins by miles.
                            Amen. Nellie sent me some once, and I fell in love. I bought a couple pounds when I was in Ohio -- and Angie is right -- it doesn't taste as fresh.

We also have the KC Roasterie blend here that is quite tasty. I sent Nellie some Elbow Chocolates coffee from KC Roasterie, and she called me slurping it's praises. I like their standard blend best.

Comment

Peets is similar to Chicago's Intelligentsia.

Do you and your SO have similar taste in coffee? That is, do you find yourself saying "We drink...." "We like...." And so on.

Comment

Oh yes, I love Peet's - must get some in CA next week!
                                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                                X