Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sex Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sex Movie

Originally posted by Jane
    Actually, the characters aren't vapid. Some are shallow, yes, but one is a lawyer, one is a writer, one is a PR person, and one is an art curator of some kind.
    Point well-taken. I should have been more specific: I find the characters to be intellectually vapid. Utterly devoid of anything interesting to say, at all--apparently, despite the educational background. I don't know how that Mr. Big guy didn't punch her whiney little nose into her face. The guy seemed to deserve better (or at least more). But, granted, I've seen only three episodes, so that was just a first (but lasting) impression. And, concededly, I know the attorney character the least. But I also know a lot of attorneys, so I am not giving her the benefit of the doubt that she's got anything interesting to say. (Case in point.)

Maybe I should have used the word "insipid." Yeah, maybe that's better? I always thought they were synonyms more or less, but maybe "insipid" suggests a certain type of intellectual dullness, as versus just a lack of substance.

Oh, it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black. I was a big fan of "The Nanny," so I'm hardly the one to be distinguishing between high and low art.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
      Andrew Zimmeran and Anthony Bourdain.
      Which show are these guys on?

Comment

They're on the travel channel- Bourdain's is "No Reservation's and Zimmeran's is about weird foods- the name escapes me because it's Friday and I've been in meetings all day. (who does meetings on Fridays?)

Jenn

Comment

We have never had HBO so I never got on the banwagon.
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
            I don't see why this is any more annoying than any other ensemble cast.

I don't ever get excited about movies - Arrested Dev aside - and will likely see this on DVD. But for a bunch of 30ish and 40ish women who want to go out for a girls' night and whoop it up? Have at it ladies! I'll toast you from the bar.
            I don't find the insipidness to come from the show's wardrobe. I don't really connect with the running reference to a shoe fetish, but that's because I am just not into shoes (I have ugly, calloused-up, messed up old dancer's feet, so they are nasty and not peep-toe acceptable...but then, so are Birks, for the same toe-exposure problem). I just thought the stuff the characters talk about is dull (I guess because it seemed really self-absorbed) and Parker's voiceovers are uninsightful. Or maybe I just can't relate to the life experience being presenting. The show itself doesn't annoy me, though--it just seems foreign. I am, however, annoyed by the strangely over-the-top news coverage I've been seeing, and was just wondering if anyone else was in that same boat. I guess it's the estrogen equivalent of Star Wars openings...which I also think are really weird (people showing up in costume, etc).

I am 100% with you on the "Arrested Development" front. Best sitcom in YEARS. Love, love, love it. Always loved your "hospital bar" signature line, too. Are you saying that they are making it into a movie?? I hadn't heard that. I am SO THERE on opening night, if that's the case. But I am not renting a Segway and dressing up like GOB. Or building my own Banana Stand

Comment

I'm none of you will be surprised that I'm a huge fan of the show as well. I don't own the DVD set but I have seen each season and episode several times Similarly to Seinfeld, it's sometimes hard to get SATC if one is not familiar with NY daily life. The show actually covered a lot of serious topics that many non-fashionistas can relate to as well. But these themes would be hard to see from only a handful of episodes.

I will definitely see the movie once the hype dies down a bit.

Comment

I've watched two episodes and just "didn't get it."

Maybe it was the individual shows I saw, maybe since I'm married with kids I had a hard time relating. Not sure.

I found both episodes I saw to be at times crass and in bad taste.
                TMI BIG TIME for me.

But that's me.

I won't see the movie but those who do, have fun!!
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I watched the show until the episode where Carrie realized that she'd spent $40,000 on shoes and had no money for a down payment on a co-op. Then I realized that these were not women who should interest me.

Comment

We've never had HBO either. I have seen several episodes because I went through rental cycle of SITC on Netflix. I thought it would be good for call nights. Some shows had TMI, some were funny, some were insightful....but I agree that these women ultimately didn't share my values. I can't see any of them pulling the whole med spouse thing --- and certainly not with KIDS!!! I saw the episode about the 40 K in shoes and had the same reaction. 40 K?? In shoes??? Ay yi yi. Nothing wrong with it, but I'd have a hard time commiserating about my inability to pay the electric bill and my need to get by without a car for years with a friend that bought $800 pairs of shoes.

I'm not seeing the movie. I'm not bothered by the hype; all movies are hyped to death these days. Greedy movie execs. I can't believe that Indiana Jones almost broke the all time Memorial Day movie record for income -- and I didn't read a single glowing review. Every review was "eehh....it's good to see Indy again. The movie's OK. " Yet, we open our wallets. We are lemmings. They know it. Hence, hype.
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I agree, Lily. I liked the show and while I don't think I have seen every episode I'm pretty sure I have seen most. Well, I'll say over 50%. I don't identify with all of it but found it entertaining. I think I burned myself out on it because I don't watch it anymore. It was a fun ritual with girlfriends to sit on my gf's bed (the one with HBO!) and watch the new episodes together. My thoughts about it are tied to that experience and time with them. Oh, and one of the friends I watched with could have started the birkenstocks fan club and didn't shave her pits. :huh:

The one thing I did not like about it or my one criticism would be that for a group of independent and self-supporting women, they sometimes cared too much what men thought of them or derived too much worth from it.

I did want to throw the remote at Carrie when she screwed things up with Aidan.

Comment

DH is taking me out to see "The Strangers" tonight! Hooray! A date night...I think it is a reward for not making him see SATC...apparently, a couple of his co-residents compadres had to go with their wives...

Comment

Heck, I live in the city and have never seen an episode...I am far more of a Law and Order chic...Too much hype for a movie IMHO!
                          Danielle
                          Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

We are so LAME!! We ended up just ordering take-out and renting a movie because we didn't want to deal with the hassle of teenagers at the movies on a Saturday night! Are we old or what?

We rented "Gone Baby Gone." TERRIFIC, well-acted, well-written movie. Ben Affleck directed (he is a much better director than actor--with the exception of "Chasing Amy," which is one of my favorite movies...I acknowledge that he did a wonderful job acting in that one, I think). His younger brother, KC Affleck, played the lead role in "GBG." Now that guy is a good actor! Doesn't overplay any emotion. It's all right there, exposed and accessible, but on a very slow, controlled boil.

The plot was wrenching, though. And I don't recommend it if your child is about to leave the safety of your eyes and arms for a week!! It definitely was not a romantic evening after the movie. We were both a little unsettled. We didn't even talk about it. DH just looked at me and said, "He's going to be just fine. Really. My parents are going to watch him very closely."

Comment

Working...
                            X