Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Baby Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Names

Hey, DH and I are really wrestling with girl names. It's kind of funny--we were completely set on "Ava Marie" almost from the time we found out I was expecting. He really likes "Ava," I like names that are easy to spell, and "Marie" is a family name.

Then, we found out--to our great surprise--that "Ava" is a really popular baby name now!! It's on the Social Security Administration's Top Ten List! We don't want her to be one of five "Ava"s in her class, you know?

So I took "Ava" off the table, and we've been playing around with numerous other names ever since, without really coming to any name that we both really like.

So my question is, just from your personal experience, do you know a lot of babies born recently named "Ava"?

Re: Baby Names

At least two under-threes, I'm afraid.

Maybe you could search your state and see if it's in the top 5 there?
    Alison

Comment

You're in TX, right?
      they're in St. Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
        You're in TX, right?
        they're in St. Louis.
        We're from Texas and we are Texans. We think of ourselves as temporarily residing elsewhere for the utilitarian purpose of accomplishing residency...in St. Louis. It is merely an unfortunate circumstance of geography that who we are does not coincide with where we are. I updated my profile on this site to better classify my "location"...

I will search around at see if I can find a website that offer per-state info.

Maybe we can go with "Avamarie"...

Comment

Maybe we can go with "Avamarie"...
          makes me think of Ave Maria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2boso...eature=related

my mom sung this at many weddings, funerals, may processions and midnight masses.

Comment

There are at least 2 baby girls named Ava on my March '07 baby board.

Ella is a nice name.
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I know two childrend under the age of two named Ava and at least three Ellas. :huh:

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
                Originally posted by pinkpickles
                You're in TX, right?
                they're in St. Louis.
                We're from Texas and we are Texans.
                LOL, I understand, as my mother is a Texan through-and-through who happens to have been living in Alaska for the past 30 years.

Sorry, I edited my post almost as soon as I submitted it both to remove the assumption and also not to "out" your location on the public board if you didn't prefer! But I see neither consideration was necessary, d'oh!
                Alison

Comment

Hmmm. I understand your trepidation, but at the same time, I think you should choose what you like. In my experience girl names fluctuate a lot more than boy names anyway, and people are likely to use more of a variety of girl names than boy names. So, a name being in the top 10 for a girl isn't the same as being in the top 10 for a boy.

FWIW, my son, Ryan was #7 when we named him, and we have come in contact with other Ryan's, but it really isn't all that often. It does depend on where you live, but naming is so hard as it is. I just say go with the name you love.
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I've got a friend w/a 3 year old named Ava, and another friend with a 5 year old Ava.

As far as popular names - I had an easier time reconciling myself with a popular boys name, b/c there are only a handful of names that regularly make the cycle (and I was naming Jacob after my mom). As for naming Quinn & this baby, we both said we wanted a name that ranked somewhere between 'Jennifer and "What's your real name?" ' - which my husband gets quite frequently. We were actually considering Abigail for this baby, but it's crazy popular right now, and after growing up with THE most popular girls name of the 70's, I just don't want to do it to this kid.

That said, I don't know that I consider the level of popularity of Ava on par with say, Kaitlyn (or the 7000 ways people spell it), Grace, Emily, or Jennifer of my time ...

Comment

I know a 6 yo old Ava. The funny thing is that my daughter's classes have had a few kids with the same name but it isn't one of the Top 10 names. It can be a crapshoot. I like the idea of Avamarie or making it a longer name. That sounds to me a bit like Anne-Marie (or Annemarie or however you would handle a hyphen!).

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog

Sorry, I edited my post almost as soon as I submitted it both to remove the assumption and also not to "out" your location on the public board if you didn't prefer! But I see neither consideration was necessary, d'oh!
                        Thanks. I appreciate the thoughtfulness re: not "outing." I could see how some folks are really private about it. Personally, I don't have an issue with people knowing I'm in St. Louis. Most folks probably know/can figure out which hospital my DH is at, if they know anything about this area and some of my references/descriptions, but I don't post the hospital name...I'm not sure why. I guess it's out of respect. If I ever have a negative day, I just don't want it to somehow be a commentary on the specific program. Although, like everyone else, I have DAYS, in general, I like his program and the people in it and who run it.

Comment

i don't know any ava's. i know an ellie, an annemarie, and an yvette...who we call evie. or evie mae when we want her attention.

we have a caitlyn. i can NEVER find the choice of spelling we used for her name. everyone is katelyn, katelin, catelyn, caitlin. obviously an irish name..our famliy was very confused on why we picked an irish name. they were also pissed and dh's father wouldnt speak to us for a couple days because of her middle name. she has her great grandmothers first name as her middle name, and G-GM had not passed away yet. they got over it. anyhow, i only ever knew of one katelyn (i babysat) and never knew it was a popular name. :huh: here in west virginia tho, i mostly hear jim-bob, ellie-may, junior, or "git. over. here." so for now, we're safe with a popular name.

i like older names, family names, or biblical names. we have names picked out for the next baby, if we have another. boy names were very hard for us for some reason. :huh:

good luck with a name choice!

p.s. you can use my name! it's old, and i only know one other person with it...my grandmother. she died before i was born.
                          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

"git. over. here."

I like Maeve too.

Comment

Names are hard...
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                              X