Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Baby Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Baby Names

I love Maeve, too ... but I have a thing about mono-syllabic first names. We're using Jayne for the middle name ...

Comment

Does that make it a family name since your MIL calls you that?

Comment

Actually, one of the reasons we chose it is that dh calls me Jane all the time. Yes, it was picked up as a joke b/c of MIL (who no longer calls me that), but over the years it's turned into a term of endearment from dh. Plus, the woman I want to be when I grow up is named Jane (in Cleveland) ...

It's a good, solid name all around. The fact that it manages to fulfill dh's Hindi requirement when you throw a "y" in there is just gravy.

Comment

Oh - and :nana:

Comment

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I've been thinking about names a lot recently....I kinda feel we've set the tone with Daegan and now have to have something unique....We *think* we have a girl's name picked out.....(not sharing yet)....but are still clueless with boys' names. I'm sure we'll get a book from the library and go through it like we did last time...and of course chose a name not in it!

I like Ava....don't know any here....but like Sylvia, this is the south...and I know a few Peyton's (girls) and a Brooks (boy) and of course the biblical names (Margaret, Katherine, Michael, Aaron, John-Paul, John-Daniel).

Michele was popular near my year but I really didn't know many others until college when there were 4 of us on one dorm floor. Otherwise, there was only 1 other in my elem school. Danielle wasn't as popular when my sister was born, but there were 3 in her elem class! So I agree that sometimes it's a crapshoot.....of course I had 8 Jennifers in my vet school class of 80....there were almost as many Jen's as there were guys (12)!
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

One of DS#1's playmates (2.5yo) is named Ava. But she's the only one I know. I like the name, and I say if you like it ... use it.

And, I also think "Jane" is a lovely name.
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I'd say stick with Ava if you like it. It really is a crapshoot. I had loved the name Isabella for the longest time from when I used to watch Days of our Lives. When I had DD1 7 years ago I didn't realize it got so wildly popular, but it hasn't been a big deal.

FWIW, I really like the name Ava. I think it's cute, it reminds me of my mom who's name is Eva.
                  Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

We know 6 Ava's under the age of 5. I love the name. It's beautiful.

We also know about 12 variations of Caitlin, 6 variations of Isabelle and if you count all the Ella's, Emily's and Ellie's we know -- FUGEDABOUTIT.

Truth be told I have an extremely common name for a girl born in the early 70s and it was a PITA for me. The starting line up for most of my sports were three girls and myself ...all named the same thing and one or two other girls. I realize this is a unique experience ...but I'm just saying. I didn't like it as a child AT ALL.

DH and I always check the SS website for this reason.
                    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

When DS was born in late 2002, Caleb was right around number 45 on the SS list for 2001. It jumped all the way to number 16 in either 2002 or 2003.

It really is a crapshoot.
                      Kris

Comment

Go with what you like. Ava is very pretty.

Comment

Nikolai's buddy is an Ava-she's 4. At his school we have Avi and Alie (shorted versions of their full names) (of course we have Karma, too)

As one of the 8000 Jennifers on this board, (seriously- I think there are 15 or so) I can tell you that it's a total pain when there are LOTS of them around. I have mentioned before that I was one of 3 "Jennifer L. Martin"s in my high school. How freaky is that. In fact, that reason alone is why I kept my ex-husband's name after we divorced.

Than again- my kid is going to forever have to be saying, "Nikolai not Nicholas".

Jenn

Comment

In a class of 12 that I taught, I had 4 John/Jons, 2 Mikes, 2 Daves, and 2 Ambers.

In addition, 2 of the Johns had the same last name as well.

These kids are late 80s kids in the Midwest. I think it's slightly different in the NW, where the popular names in my brother's classes (also late 80s) were Josh and Daniel.
                            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

3 yo nephew is named Avan. Ava was to be the girl name.
                              Needs

Comment

I know a few Ava's, all 4 or younger. But it's such a cute name, you should go for it if you and dh both like it!

Comment

Working...
                                X