Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Conferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conferences

DH and I have been talking about going to conferences, but do you guys (or any of the spouses/SOs go? Why or why not?
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Re: Conferences

I have been to two with DH, one in the Back Bay in Boston, and one at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota. A free hotel room, with some free meals is not a deal I am going to pass up yet. He has a few this year to go to, but airfares have gone up so much it might not be possible.
    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I went to Florida with DH last winter, which was fun. It can be a nice little mini-vacation, especially since most of the costs are covered by the department (the only thing we had to pay for was my airfare). Be prepared to be able to entertain yourself, though. At least in our case, DH usually attended the conference during the day and I would wander around by myself; then we'd meet up in the evenings for dinner.
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I don't go. I couldn't with work, and now we have young kids. I visited him for a week when he was on an out-of-state rotation, but that's about it (and I was by myself during the day).

Comment

When we attend each other's conferences, we go if the location is interesting.
          Dh came with me to Kentucky, and we had a fabulous time (probably the BEST meals we have had since living out here were in Kentucky).
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I haven't gone to any conferences, but have gone along when he does lab inspections for the College of American Pathologists. He gets a crazy per diem for food (something like $20 for breakfast, $35 for lunch, and $150 for dinner) so our whole family can eat for free, and the hotel is paid for. I go when it's a city I'd like to vist or when I know people in the area I'd like to see.

Comment

Spouses aren't invited to most conferences with my program. If you bring someone along, you have to pay half the hotel room even if single occupancy and double occupancy cost the same. When they're staying in a very fancy, expensive hotel that becomes cost prohibitive. (Some spouses come along anyway and just hide from the other people in the program.)
              Alison

Comment

I usually go with him and attend the lectures (much cheaper to go if you aren't an MD) and I get my CMEs. I only go to the lectures that interest me.
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I haven't gone on any yet, most of the time I'm more then welcome to I just have to pay for my own airfare and any extra meal expenses. DH might be going to one in October that is a week and not spouse/family friendly so we'll probably take that week and go to my parents.

I look forward to his conferences that are in fun places, one is in Park City every year!
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

The boys (we had 2 at the time) and I went with DH to Philadelphia during his residency. I was nannying for one of his residency classmates.....she wasn't ready to stop nursing, so she paid for my airplane ticket so she could bring her baby and have childcare during the conference. That is the only time I went. Oh, I almost forgot....I left the boys at my mom's and accompanied DH to board review course in Chicago before his 4th year of residency. DH was busy during the day, but in the evenings we had a blast walking around and exploring! We were staying only a couple of blocks off the Magnificent Mile, so it was easy for me to find stuff to do during the day. The military paid for the room and he got a per diem as well.

We haven't done any of the courses held in exotic places since DH became an attending. They always look tempting, but when I think of the logistics involved in making it happen, it starts looking like a lot of work! :huh:

Sally
                    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

We haven't gone together to either his or mine. There's an international Child Neurology thing in Kuwait and I am REALLY trying to convince him to go. It's not until 2010...I have time.

Jenn

Comment

I have gone to 1 or 2 , but they have been in Canada and we have already been to just about every city! Not terribly exotic, but fun anyway...the other "ortho wives" and I from residency are going to try to go to 1 every year together now that we are all seperated.

He has one in Whistler this July and his mom has agreed to watch the 4 kids so YAY! (Although the chance to get some alone time is too good to pass up,I would probably agree to go to the moon and occupy myself during the day...you know space suit shopping and all

Comment

Before we had DS, I went to a couple of conferences when he was presenting major papers--one in Vegas, one in Orlando, a couple of other "mega conference"-friendly cities. Not a whole lot of fun--kind of tacky, touristy areas; he was trapped at the conference and evening activities most of the time. Also, I don't go when he is just going to some conference where is merely an attendee. Super-boring.

Two months after we had DS, he was invited to speak in...SWITZERLAND. AND... they were willing to pay for me to come. I couldn't because of the new baby. SUCKED HUGE!

Now that we have DS and another on the way, I don't go even when he's presenting a paper. It would not be fun for me--schlepping to a city with no way of getting around, and no company other than two kids? Thanks, no. Plus, it would be expensive, since I'd have to foot our portion of the bill. I'd rather spend the money on an actual vacation.

Comment

DH hasn't gone to any yet but I'm looking forward to some semi-subsidized vacations. Anesthesiologists usually hold theirs in nice tropical locales. I was also thinking of looking into medical cruises with another couple.

Comment

Now this is how Nurse Practitioners get CMEs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas

Mexican Riviera Sun Cruise
                              December 14 - 21, 2008

Clinical Update Conference While Cruising the Mexican Riviera on RCL's Vision of the Seas
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X