Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I need your help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need your help!

Man, I'm so glad others have already touched on the NW fashion disaster thing. Being a native PNW'er, I've witnessed all sorts of crimes against fashion, particularly at ritzy functions in Portland. I can't tell you how many times I've seen what looked like homeless people attending a show at the Schnitz.

Honestly, if you're not wearing something that looks like you attend Reed College (ie, torn fishnet tights, day-glo green hair, and anything involving paper clips and safety pins), you'll likely be considered well put-together. Remember, this is the land of Birkenstocks, REI, hipster attempts, and where flannel goes to die a horrible death.

I have a feeling you'll look spectacular.

Comment

Ha ha, Reedies need love too. Surely, though, they left the fishnet and safety pins in the eighties? I seem to remember my generation of Reedies being the dreadlocked hemp-wearing sorts. That is, except for Ren Faire, when they were the naked blue-painted sorts.

I grew up in Anchorage where it is socially acceptable to wear your "nice" pair of Carrhartts to the ballet. Portland isn't too far off from that. :P
      Alison

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn
        It's been my experience that you don't want to stick out but you want to look amazing.
        I'll never forget a resident's wife who wore a red strapless dress with TONS of cleavage. She looked like Jessica Rabbit and the wives of all the attendings looked at her with pity. I didn't want that EVER to be me.
        Holy crap. That poor girl must have looked like the resident hooker.

I've definitely seen some unfortunate women who mistake "formal" for "street walker".

:tsk:
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog
          Ha ha, Reedies need love too. Surely, though, they left the fishnet and safety pins in the eighties?

Depend on the day. My mom works within a stone's throw from Reed and yes, they still have some questionable fashion senses going on there. She always jokes that you can tell it's springtime by the Easter egg colored hair of the Reedies. Really, though...what else can you expect from the only private university with it's own nuclear reactor? I often wonder how much of the movie "Real Genius" was based on this school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n4mneYBjS0

Comment

Do I want to know what a Carrhartt is?
            Probably not, since it requires deep snow or manure to fully appreciate them.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb7456
              Do I want to know what a Carrhartt is?
              Probably not, since it requires deep snow or manure to fully appreciate them.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot
                Really, though...what else can you expect from the only private university with it's own nuclear reactor? I often wonder how much of the movie "Real Genius" was based on this school.
                Love Real Genius! I think I last quoted it...last week.

My undergrad physics thesis advisor (at Lewis & Clark) used to have stories to tell about the Reed reactor. Of course, the man went to Reed in the 60s and then to Berkeley for grad school. He dated Joan Baez. He had stories to tell, period!

Lily, Carrhartts are canvas pants. Nice and sturdy -- and delightfully crisp when new!

Alison

Comment

Last edited by weeniegeniewife; 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM.
                  Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Awesome! I'm jealous of your experience at Saks! I'll look for the pics next month.

Comment

this thread is great!
                      I live in Portland and my husband is a Reed grad (and one of our daughters will be going there too).

We were invited to a fancy dinner/award presentation event that my husband had worked at as a volunteer and I dressed just barely ok but the women ran the gamut from stunningly elegant to ummm... "going out to Powell's in between grocery shopping and dropping the kids off at soccer" I saw one woman come in, look around, left and came back about 45 minutes later with a new beautiful dress with one of the tags still peeking out of the sleeve. But she looked great!

After DH is done with school I will have to get acquainted with the personal shoppers downtown as I am not a shopper.

Comment

lily! you have never heard of carhartts!??

i had the best green flannel lined barn coat. EVER. carhartt bibs, coveralls, pants, coats, hats, gloves, boots...etc,etc....it is impossible to destroy/wear them out.

you would rock in some carhartts!!

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by birdie
                          "going out to Powell's in between grocery shopping and dropping the kids off at soccer"

I'm so homesick for Powell's Books.

Portland, :imissu:

Comment

Originally posted by Lily
                            As a rule I don't wear overalls. It's because I wore a backbrace in middle and high school. But you enjoy!!!!!

You're in luck! They also make jackets, weatherproof pants, shirts, hats, etc.

http://www.gobros.com/carhart/carhart-history.php

If you do anything outdoorsy, they're pretty awesome. If not, eh...not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot
                              I'm so homesick for Powell's Books.

Portland, :imissu:

birdie, it's awesome to hear of another graduate from the PNW liberal arts enclave making it to med school! And congrats on your daughter for getting into Reed, it's an awesome school, hippie reputation notwithstanding. (At LC we were of course just wannabes to the Reed level of hippiness! )
                              Alison

Comment

Last edited by weeniegeniewife; 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM.
                                Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Working...
                                X