Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

grrrr....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: grrrr....

Originally posted by Jane
    Originally posted by NYCHoosier
    Haha, this is hard to do when Grandpa (his, not mine) just casually mentions over dinner 'You just have to go to the best program you can get into, regardless of location.'

Thanks, Grandpa.

Well, depending on specialty, for residency Grandpa is right. Annoying, but right. If you're in a competitive specialty you've got to think long and hard about turning down / not ranking places. But for the end of the road / real job?? I'm all over Lily's scary "NO" guy.
    As usual I agree with the above.
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

For the match, I had a pretty significant amount of input into the rank list, not quite as much into where he applied. We did basically a location match, ranking according to where we wanted to live. And then, of course, neither of us had any choice about where we went from there. NYCHoosier, my DH had the numbers for a competitive specialty too, but numbers don't mean all. Sometimes you end up in the specialty, and location, that's the best fit for you. :huh:

For the final job I have a huge amount of say. But then, DH and I agree a lot on where we want to live. We're both very torn about how to handle the issue of places that pay as much as twice as much that are in areas that are just slightly less ideal. But I feel confident that when it comes down to the final decision we will both be happy!

Unless the job market for his specialty is super tight and you're agreed that the first job is just to build experience for the Real Job, you need to get this podunk vs. reasonably sized town decision hashed out ASAP!
      Alison

Comment

We have just gone through the initial list of residency applications and I came up with a little formula. I have a specific idea of where I would like to live: fairly large city, good restaurant/arts/culture scene and somewhere where I could see my self for 10+ years - if residency turns into fellowship and fellowship turns into job etc. But I made exceptions if it was somewhere that had an outstanding reputation or it was extremely family friendly. For us that meant limiting our 50 programs (eek!) on each coast from Vermont to Miami and from Portland to San Diego, + some in Colorado, Texas and Chicago. There are about 10 where I would love to be and the rest I could make it work. Grrrr Residency.

Comment

Working...
        X