Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Do you let the doctor doctor you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you let the doctor doctor you?

Yes, I listen to DH. But, he's doesn't baby and I don't like to be babied, so it works out well. If he voices a concern or gives advice, it's sort of a red flag to me that I should be taking the situation more seriously.

And he knows how cheap I am, so he knows that if he says I should go the ER ($75 copay!), it had better be warranted!

Comment

Absolutely!
      I am biased, but I think he is one of the best doctors I have ever met :mydoc: I can't imagine not consulting with him about a medical issue. Plus I get the bonus of chiropractic adjustments whenever I want

Comment

Unless I become a medical mystery, I think he will continue to be supportive, but pretty uninterested in my ailments..

Comment

I've tried to get him to give me advice before, but he usually just shrugs and points out that after 4 years of medical school, he can tell me 100 different rare diseases with flu-like symptoms, but he can't diagnose the flu.

After I had my wisdom teeth removed, he did tell me to start taking ex-lax immediately. That's about the only time he's offered advice. I'm glad he did, because it still took me a couple of days to go #2... (Was that TMI? That was TMI. )
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Yes, he is my Primary. Even better, I am his Primary. We would obviously go to someone else if it were "serious". I have to add that he is the most non-compliant patient I have!
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Sure, insofar as she knows anything about me. But she's an ob/gyn and I don't have any of the right parts. She's always glad to look things up on MDCONSULT or in the pharm database on her PDA. I let her practice a knee exam on me one time when she was still in medical school and I won't make that mistake again. Just the flexing involved in the exam crippled me for most of a week.

Comment

Originally posted by obgyn_boyo
                I let her practice a knee exam on me one time when she was still in medical school and I won't make that mistake again. Just the flexing involved in the exam crippled me for most of a week.
                This reminds me of when dh was in med school and wanted to try something out with my eyes. He held my eye open for so long and I yelled at him "you're going to have to blink me or else my eyeball is going to dry out!"
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                  I let her practice a knee exam on me one time when she was still in medical school and I won't make that mistake again. Just the flexing involved in the exam crippled me for most of a week.
                  This reminds me of when dh was in med school and wanted to try something out with my eyes. He held my eye open for so long and I yelled at him "you're going to have to blink me or else my eyeball is going to dry out!"

The same thing happened to me, alison. DH was looking for some kind of nerve (?) and stared in my eye for what seemed like forever. I saw stars for a while after that.
                  ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                  -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by migirl
                    Originally posted by alison

The same thing happened to me, alison. DH was looking for some kind of nerve (?) and stared in my eye for what seemed like forever. I saw stars for a while after that.
                    Ditto. I refuse to let him look in my eyes anymore. Or take my blood pressure.

I let him doctor me, but usually he doesn't like to very much. Probably because I blow some situations out of proportion (come on, doesn't everyone feel like they are dying when they have a sinus infection?)

My family wants to be doctored like crazy. My mom has called to ask him about switching meds. His friend's mom called him specifically to discuss her rare disease and treatment options. We were recently at a family BBQ and a friend of a relative started going on about her 7 year old daughter's random rash located you-know-where. I felt so bad for him, he was trying to help her rule things out, but he's not really a pediatrician yet and she was getting a little too descriptive.

I think he is starting to realize that he can't cure everyone or answer all questions, so he is saying what some of the other spouses out there are saying "I don't know. Go see your own doctor."
                    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Working...
                    X