Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

So, how'd it go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, how'd it go?

DH and I voted at 7:30am this morning. We expected a small turnout in our district and it was even less people than we thought....we estimate that more than half the people in our neighborhood aren't american citizens. We had the archaic voting machines with the big red handles. After casting our vote, I asked for the "i voted" sticker and they were like "yeah right " So we went to Starbucks afterwards and DH got a free voting coffee and I got a EGGNOG LATTE!!!!! Yummy
    Danielle
    Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Re: So, how'd it go?

My brother reports that in Bethesda, MD about 30 minutes ago, there were no lines but a steady flow of people. Apparently they were really busy when they first opened though.

My cousin in Columbus, OH has voting at her high school today. She said there were lines and that they expect it to be insane by 4pm.

Haven't heard from the rest of the people.

Jenn

Comment

Dh wants me to wait for him. We'll take the whole family and dinner with us along with the OITE (ortho inservice training exam) review book to the lines for the polls. I really hope dh gets out a bit early today.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenacious_D
        So we went to Starbucks afterwards and DH got a free voting coffee and I got a EGGNOG LATTE!!!!! Yummy
        So is this deal for the beverage of your choice, then? Could I get a non-coffee beverage, you think? Would it be wrong to get the free Ben&Jerry's AND the free Starbuck's? :>
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I was in and out in 5 minutes. There is something to be said for living in podunkville on an election year.
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Voted! (One older poll lady worker told me I needed a picture ID - but I offered my utility bill instead. After a brief poll lady conference, they said that was OK. *phew* For a minute, I thought I'd have to argue with nice little old ladies from the neighborhood. )

Odd mix of poll workers, though. We had the traditional little old ladies and an equal number of young African American college student types. No lines to check in, but a line to get a cubby to fill out the new optical scan ballot. It only took an hour, though.

I'm so happy that this is over! Now....on to the election night! I'm biting my nails and eating chocolate. I'm intellectually interested in whether polling has been at all accurate. So many new factors to consider: new voters, cell phone use, does likely voter still mean the same thing.

I'm also interested in turnout. I think the national highest ever turnout was 64% back 50+ years ago. I'd love to see us bust through that - but I doubt it will happen.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
              I'm so happy that this is over! Now....on to the election night! I'm biting my nails and eating chocolate. I'm intellectually interested in whether polling has been at all accurate. So many new factors to consider: new voters, cell phone use, does likely voter still mean the same thing.

I'm also interested in turnout. I think the national highest ever turnout was 64% back 50+ years ago. I'd love to see us bust through that - but I doubt it will happen.
              I'm interested in this, too. Was that 64% of eligible voters, or registered voters? If it's out of registered, I wouldn't be surprised if we surpassed it. Anybody know what percentage of eligible voters are registered?
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade

I voted a couple of weeks ago vis the mail.

Comment

Voter turnout data from both voter age pop and eligible voter pop:

http://www.fairvote.org/?page=262

I'm encouraged that OH was predicting an 80% turnout.
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Just dropped of my ballot at the ballot mailbox deal. I wonder what OR Starbucks are doing for the coffee? Hopefully they will take my word. Too cold for icecream for me, darn it.

Comment

I heard this morning that all the "I voted" promotions got restructured into Election Day celebrations when it was discovered that it is against the law to give rewards/payment for votes.....of any type....and that they could get in trouble. So, the gratis coffee, ice cream and doughnuts (Krispy Kreme) now require nothing more than a request.
                      Angie

Comment

I voted mid-morning around 11am. The line was LONG here in Philly (Center City). They had TONS of Obama supporters working the lines and giving out coffee, water, candy, snacks...you name it!

Comment

I got to my polling place a little after 9:00 this morning, the line was already out the door and through the lobby of the school. As I walked through the parking lot I saw DH's car, he was *still* there after having left the house 2 hours earlier. Uh-oh. I decided to give it a try (I had both kids with me); I packed plenty of snacks and juice boxes and toys and coloring books. I ended up waiting about an hour and a half in line, and both kids surprised me by doing very well. I even got compliments from people on how well-behaved my kids were.

So anyway, I'm done. It was absolutely packed, I'm glad I went early in the day.
                          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

My husband went at 6 am and waited 45 minutes. I went at 11:45 and not only was there no line, I only saw like two other voters. We also live across the street from our polling place, and I was back home by 11:55.

They were out of stickers, though.
                            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I dropped DS off at daycare early today in the hopes of voting before work. When I drove past the polling site, I guestimated the wait would be about an hour. So, I will try again after work. I've promised DS Papa John's pizza because DH is leaving for an interview, most likely before we get home and he (ds, not dh) was crying about it this morning. I'm hoping the same bribe will hold out for good behavior in the polling lines...
                              Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X