Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What is going on with the forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL I think it was actually an error in the old forums. Still....I am looking into this...It's on my to-do list!

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
      The old site remembered (bolded) your unread posts indefinitely, so combined with the "active posts" feature I found it to be the handiest interface for reading of any message board I use. I guess this way it helps keep me from getting carried away -- I can only catch up on as much as I can read before a baby calls me away, LOL!
      Yes! This is what I'm talking about. I really liked this feature -- mess up or not. It was great!
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I agree, that feature was awesome. Sometimes I have to get off quickly when I'm browsing at work in between conference calls and now things I wanted to read disappear. I will just have to note their location and head there when I sign back on.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys have been doing lately! We all really appreciate it even if we do complain a lot...
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Ooh, I think I found it! Kris, look here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193625

Looks like you need to set the forums to "database marking" to keep track for each user exactly which messages are read and which aren't; looks like the default is "cookie" marking, which explains the problem with different browsers/different systems, and with losing track when you log out and back in.

So, if you find that option and set it to database marking instead, that should fix all the "New posts" issues...

I also found another post that says this:

FYI, the Forum Marking Choices are located in vBulletin Options ;
          vBulletin Options > General Settings > Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
          ...though it's possible that's for an older version than we're using here, so it might not be completely correct.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Thanks for the research Sandy. I'm changing it now. Let us know if this fixes it. (I went with no automatic database marking. You had the option of automatic or no auto. We can try the auto next if this doesn't work out.)
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Hmm...it's definitely acting slightly differently, now, though I think I'm still seeing some of the same behavior... I'm now seeing a "these haven't been updated since your last visit, but might still have unread messages" section...but things are still falling into that based on timestamp; it doesn't seem to be keeping track any more closely to exactly which stuff's been read and which hasn't across sessions. Might want to try auto.
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

It is also now clearing that new posts list immediately. So I come to the site, go to New Posts, and click on this thread. I finish reading, click on New Posts again, and this thread is gone from that list. Which it didn't do before.
                Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Shall we leave it this way for a few more hours and then test the other option? (auto database?) I didn't like the sound of "auto". I'm a control freak to the core. Give me "manual" or give me death!
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

Heh. Is there *any* explanation in the docs about what the two different "database" tracking modes (auto/non-auto) are, how they're different from each other?
                    Sandy

Comment

Oh....we are supposed to read directions now?

I switched it to the other mode and I don't see an immediate difference. I will log out and in to see if anything changes. I will also *sigh* look for some actual documentation on the back-end. Since this is purchased software, I'd think Kris would get something "official". There's always the vBulletin forum again.
                      Angie

Comment

Um, now everything is in bold/marked unread. I'm so confused.

Comment

So..ask and you shall receive!

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
                          1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
                          2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
                          3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

Enable Inline Moderation Authentication Inline moderation actions will require a user to authenticate again prior to being performed. The timeout is based on the admin control panel timeout, or one hour if that option is disabled. Database Read Marking Limit With "database read marking", the unread markers on threads and forums are persistent across forum sessions. If a user does not read a thread that is marked as unread, then that thread will remain unread every time the user visits the forum.

This setting allows you to force unread markers to switch to "read" after a so many days. This would be the amount of time after which the user probably has no interest in reading that thread and therefore does not need to know that it contains unread posts.
                          Chew on that and tell me what you think. I'm changing it back to database non-auto. I like that best so far. I've got to do a little running around with the kids now, but I'll check in later to see if we've decided on a "best setting" option! Thanks for the free IT consult!
                          Angie

Comment

I vote for #2

Comment

That's what we are set at right now. It's my favorite as well.
                              Angie

Comment

But everything is still marked as unread. . .

Comment

Working...
                                X