Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What time do you wake up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What time do you wake up?

I'm definitely a morning person, and I like to get a jump on the day before the kids get up and the craziness starts. Soooooo ... I'm usually up around 5am.

This morning before the kids wake up I'll have:
    - gotten in a quick run on the treadmill
    - finished (washed, dried, folded, put away) two loads of laundry
    - done the prep work for dinner (rinsed the rice, cut up veggies, etc.)
    - checked email/iMSN/Facebook/etc.
    - read the newspaper
    - taken a shower
    - eaten breakfast

It feels good to accomplish so much before my kids get up! But I feel like everytime I tell someone that I usually get up around 5am, they think it's so weird and I end up feeling like a freak!

So, I'm wondering: what time do you usually get up in the morning?
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Haha! I always see you on here early in the morning with me. You, Heidi and myself do the early morning iMSN shift.

Lately I've been sleeping in until 6 or 7, but my nights are still loooong. When I'm not doing the baby cha-cha all night I usually get up around 5 am. I miss having those *quiet* early morning hours to get work done. It's the most peaceful time of day.
    -Ladybug

Comment

Six AM here - but that isn't to get a jump start on the day. Kids are up at six and six thirty. DH rolls out at 6:30. School starts at seven for the oldest. I usually manage to unload the dishwasher, start a load of laundry (ala FlyLady training ), make coffee, breakfast and lunches for the day before I take our new puppy outside. Once the kids are gone to school, I take the dogs on a hike for an hour or slightly more. That's my peaceful time.

Mornings around here a hectic. When I got my iPhone an started using it as my alarm on the bedside table, I realized that all the moms I know get up around 5:30-6 ---- because my PTO and volunteer emails start pinging at me at 5:30. I used to do the early morning quiet time, too. Now, with sports practices ending around 8 PM and kids going to bed (for real) by 10 or 10:30 each night, I have to find my peace when they are away at school. Otherwise, they stay up longer than me and get up just as early!
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

i'm an insomniac. always have been, always will be. i'm also a night owl.

blah.

6 ish, usually.....
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I used to be an early bird but these days I'm lucky if I can get it together before 8. And then I'm falling asleep again by 11 and in bed for the night at 6. Still, I wake up with DrK who was up with the cows this AM for a new IM rotation.
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

For now I sleep until A gets up and since we put black out shades in her room that is usually 8, sometimes 7:30. I've thought about getting up a little earlier to have some me time but haven't done it yet.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Lately I have been getting up anytime after 5. Not by choice though. Sophie is FINALLY sleeping through the night and the girls wake me up.

We'll see what the schedule shakes out to be once the we are settled in our new place...
              Kris

Comment

I try to get up at 4:45 so I can try to get some me time...but often I'm nursing Kai and fall back to sleep until 5:30. I can't sleep past 5:30 or I don't make it to work by 8:00am. Yeah it takes me a ridiculouslylobg time to shower, getdressed, get the kids ready and pack lunches/bags for everyone. I try to go to bed at 8pm. Daegan doesn't sleep without us really so we all go to bed then. But honestly I think most days I need the sleep morethan him. Pre-kids I routinely got/needed 10h per night of sleep. Less than 8or9 and I'm really feeling it the next day. Sucks because both our moms are of the 4-5h/night variety and man with those extra hours you can REALLY get a lot done!!!
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I get up at 5:00 usually as well. I get as much as I can done (even if it's just ME time) and then spend 15 - 20 minutes on the computer or reading. DS #2 still gets up between 5:45 and 7 -- so his wake up time is what really starts my day for real. 6:30 is when DD gets up for school. Having a regular school aged kid really changed my morning routine. For pre-school I didn't have to get her up (when she was in Pre-K) until 7:30.
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I'm a morning person too. I'm usually up between 5:30 and 6:00 am. I like to get some time to myself and a start on the caffeine before the kiddos are up. I wish I could say I was as productive as Migirl, but my time is spent on the computer. I should be taking care of things around the house- it really needs it.
                    Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

I think 5am is the start of "not-crazy" awakening time. If I've gotten a good 7-8 hours when DH gets up at ~5 I'll get up with him. More often though, I'm still bleary from nighttime wakeups so I sleep in as long as I can, usually about 6-6:30.
                      Alison

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                        For now I sleep until A gets up and since we put black out shades in her room that is usually 8, sometimes 7:30. I've thought about getting up a little earlier to have some me time but haven't done it yet.
                        Ditto--- to everything, including the blackout shades.

I sleep until I have to deal with the baby- and that's sometimes as early as 5, sometimes as late as 7, but when she gets up, if it's before 7, I feed her in bed with me so that I can at least be laying down until 7:30 AM!!!

I've thought about getting up earlier-- for about 10 years. I just don't see it actually happening!

I'm not entirely human before 7:30 am. It's best to keep me in bed as long as possible.
                        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

This thread is killing me! Everyone is up so early!

I don't have to go to work anymore, and so I'm never up before 8:30. And that's early to me... If dh is off on weekends, we sleep in until 11am!
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                            This thread is killing me! Everyone is up so early!

I don't have to go to work anymore, and so I'm never up before 8:30. And that's early to me... If dh is off on weekends, we sleep in until 11am!
                            If I could train the kids to sleep in - I would do the same... But alas, they want to be fed. The needy buggers.
                            Kris

Comment

I get up when Cora gets up, 7:30 give or take a half hour.

If I were ever to give anyone a hard time about getting up at 5 am, it would only be out of jealousy! I am a major night owl.
                              Last edited by Auspicious; 06-01-2009, 10:32 AM.
                              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                              X