Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

cell phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cell phone

So, last night I called up Sprint to cancel my mobile phone service because, while I love the peace of mind of having a phone in my bag at all times, I really don't use enough minutes on the thing to justify 30 bucks a month (their cheapest advertised deal). When the customer service rep asked me why I wanted to cancel and I told her I couldn't afford it anymore, she asked me if I would be interested in a plan of 50 minutes a month for $10.

Um, YES. That would be perfect, actually. Too bad it's not an option they tell you about unless you ask them.

So, since knowledge is power and the squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that, just thought I'd let everyone know that this is yet another situation where if you call up and tell them you're unhappy, they'll do better for you.

I've heard this is also true of interest rates on credit cards--call them up and tell them you need a lower rate and you're likely to get it.

Anyone have any other situations like this? They're good to know.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Just be sure to check if they put you on a yearly commitment. Usually, that's how they get you but sometimes they don't tell you until you get your bill.

Comment

Good point. I did have to do the one-year contract, and she did tell me about that when I signed up, but I was fine with it.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

For what it is worth, a consumer advocacy group based in the Twin Cities rated "T-Mobile" as the best bang for your buck with greatest access. I don't know if this is nationwide, but certainly do your homework!

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I have t-mobile, as does my hubby, my mom, dad, sister and her boyfriend. we all have a plan for 69 dollars a month for two lines where we can talk an unlimited amount to anyone else who has t-mobile. I used almost 2000 minutes last month for 69 bucks!
          Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Funny thing...Sprint, based in Kansas City, has the lowest rating in the city based on consumer advocacy (also from Consumer Reports, this month). Verizon is the best deal in the KC area. We have a deal with only one phone but 500 anytime min, and then 2500 weekend minutes with free long distance as long as you call from the metro area.
            So, all our family calls are on the weekend. When DW is home, there is no time to be on the phone....ie-catching up on sleep, catching up on who this person is that lives at the hospital but sleeps at this house!
            We have some travelling coming up and would like to have something with national roaming, our plan is up in May.
            Anyone know of anything good? (also not too expensive?!)

Comment

I use Working Assets. They actually use the Sprint network but 1% of all of their profits goes to social services type companies. (and you all KNOW what a tree hugger I am!) I pay 34.99 for 2200 minutes a month. I had to buy the phone but that was ok because I needed one!

Jenn

Comment

That is funny about Sprint--they built that big fancy campus here and their reception here sucks!
                I have Cingular and I'm very happy with it. I almost never get poor reception, even when I went to a remote lake last summer. Anyhow, I pay $40 a month (actually that special is over) but this is my business phone and I have to make a lot of long distance calls. I get 1000 anytime minutes, so I use it instead of ever making long distance calls on my regular phone, so our regular phone bill has decreased dramatically. Also, I think the customer service is pretty good with Cingular also.
                Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                X