Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The term "Pimped" used by the medical field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too funny Kelley...that's the one I was going to bring up!

Comment

"Pimping", check. "Strong work", check. "Tucked in", check. "Fund of knowledge" I haven't heard much -- but I have similar issues with "Center of Excellence" which basically means a cancer center vs. local hospital. It sounds so self-congratulatory. "Malignant" has been around forever in this house. "Train wreck" characterizes lots of DH's patients with multiple problems.

This is fun. I have to see if I can catch more of the standard lingo! We should make a translation dictionary for Medspeak.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
        "Pimping", check. "Strong work", check. "Tucked in", check. "Fund of knowledge" I haven't heard much -- but I have similar issues with "Center of Excellence" which basically means a cancer center vs. local hospital. It sounds so self-congratulatory. "Malignant" has been around forever in this house. "Train wreck" characterizes lots of DH's patients with multiple problems.

This is fun. I have to see if I can catch more of the standard lingo! We should make a translation dictionary for Medspeak.
        All those terms are regulars in our house too. Yeah, the "Center of Excellence" thing is a bunch of crap IMO.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

As far as the pimping thing is concerned: The nail in the coffin of the ONE resident I know of who was kicked out of dh's program while dh was there had a MAJOR problem with being pimped by attendings (female ones, specifically). He completely thought he knew more than his attendings - and it turns out he was the most dangerous of the residents and was never really trusted with doing his job.

And, let me tell you, the military is WAAAAY big on respect for your superiors. Depending on the site and the specialty you'll find very laid back attendings that are willing to give a cocky resident a second, third, or even fourth chance. But, you cross that line with the wrong person and you're going to be in trouble with a capital "T".
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

To everyone who responded I just want to say thank you for the advice. I think the way I worded things came off wrong. My BF is very respectful of his elders and is a "Yes Sir", "Yes Mam" southern Louisiana kind of guy. He is certainly not cocky, and knows his place. I think he was just excited on a few occasions when the Doc he is under was trying to figure out a case for a patient and he knew what it was before the Doc mentioned it, as well as discussing certain kinds of tumors and the Doc couldn't recall what the name was, but he knew. That is all due to recently studying everything in MS1 & MS2. He does not rub it in, or try to make himself look smarter than his elders, he is just eager to learn and use all of the knowledge he learned over the past two years. I think he is finally realizing how "smart" he really is. He always underestimates himself. =)
            Living the Life of Intern Year...

Comment

I never realized until I read this thread that strong work was a "medical" term. I also started hearing it during med school rotations, but didn't really make the connection...

My DH uses fund of knowledge, pimped, flog, malignant, etc. But the one that drives me REALLY insane is when he uses the "word" emergent. As in, "I'll be home soon as long as nothing emergent comes up." We argue all the time as to whether it's an actual word, but he continues to use it and it continues to drive me nuts.
              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Yeah, DH uses emergent, too.....I forgot about that one. The phrase we both use, that I like much better, is to say "circling", as in (Me, at about 6:00-6:30 on a call day, over the phone) "so, is anyone circling?", meaning is anyone in labor, thinking they are in labor, having another kind of issue large enough to delay his imminent leave-taking, or (Him) "I have a 37 weeker with a concerning strip circling....not sure it is worth coming home right now until I get her all tucked in. She can be pretty malignant, but I think we have a good relationship, so hopefully it won't be a flog." (I threw a couple extras in there for you all! )

I love "circling" because the term so accurately describes how I feel about the demands placed on DH, even though it pays our bills and they are perfectly nice people, most of them anyway. Call nights (which are every other night, remember, so I think I am justified in feeling this way and really not a horrible b*&ch) just tend to feel like people are pursuing us as a family, trying to steal DH, and "circling" captures that perfectly.
                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Never heard of pimping in this context but pretty sure it happened to my SO a LOT last year when he was an intern!

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3 View Post
                    The phrase we both use, that I like much better, is to say "circling"
                    I think maybe DH's program is more morbid... They use "circling the drain" for the patients who are just about to die. It's just so wrong, but a disturbingly appropriate visual...
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Yeah, I heard that too, when he had patients that were doing that, back in residency during gyn-onc or off-service rotations. Now we think of it more like vultures circling, waiting to strike...... (pretty morbid in its own way, especially because all the poor women are trying to do is have a baby!)
                      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                        I think maybe DH's program is more morbid... They use "circling the drain" for the patients who are just about to die. It's just so wrong, but a disturbingly appropriate visual...

Oh wow, that's aweful!
                        Living the Life of Intern Year...

Comment

The farther dh gets from residency the less he uses a lot of those terms, though. I remember him using "fund of knowledge" CONSTANTLY during his last years of residency. And, now? I can't remember the last time he popped that one into a sentence.

When dh got done with medical school he and a friend did the senior film. They did an entire music video parody of "Big Pimpin'". They got a bunch of the attendings to act out (and even DANCE) in that music video. It was hilarious.
                          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                          With fingernails that shine like justice
                          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

DH was "pimped" a lot in med school and residency too. Not sure about fellowship yet!

The "tucked in" term bothers me to. I picture DH reading the kids a story and then turning out the light.

There is another made up phrase that DH uses but I can't remember it right now......
                            Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

"House of God" was very popular when DH was in med school and many people used various phrases from the book, i.e. Gomer.

Comment

Yes, "Gomer." I heard that one the other day.
                                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                                X