Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The term "Pimped" used by the medical field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
    Most of the lingo goes away after the training years are over.
    I agree. I think the only word I hear consistently is "train wreck" as in "patient A is a total train wreck" meaning they have multiple medical issues.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Shit storm is used occasionally here as well.
      Kris

Comment

I think this one is specific to board study but if I have to hear how certain texts, sources, references are HIGH YIELD one more time I'm going to throw something.

The best is when books were purchased that turned out to be "low yield". Maybe you want to talk to your peers before you surf around Amazon for study materials? Silly silly.
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
          I think this one is specific to board study but if I have to hear how certain texts, sources, references are HIGH YIELD one more time I'm going to throw something.

The best is when books were purchased that turned out to be "low yield". Maybe you want to talk to your peers before you surf around Amazon for study materials? Silly silly.

I couldn't agree with you more! ack!
          Living the Life of Intern Year...

Comment

Originally posted by wildfin View Post
            New word, as of yesterday: "gorked"

Use in a sentence: "I am so gorked from call."

Anyone else hear this one?
            DH uses "gorked out" in reference to patients who are so medicated that they aren't aware of their surroundings. I'm not sure if it means they're awake or asleep, but when he says it, I picture them awake, but drooling and not being able to focus on anything. I think he picked that one up in the Psych ER in MS3. I like it - "gorked" is fun to say!
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

We use gorked in my office. But, I’ve only heard it used in reference to someone being seriously high on drugs.

Comment

One of the terms DH uses, that I absolutely hate, is "gorked out". Before I go any further, does anyone else's SO's use that term? As in, "I had this totally gorked-out kid that I had to get a catheter into".
                Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Whoops, I should have read this page first!

My DH uses that term in a different context...

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
                    dh uses gomer a lot. mostly refering to really really sick old people who pretty much live at the hospital or vascular patients who famously never follow dr's orders and are back over and over again.
                    DH just called from the OR and I was telling him about this thread. He knew every single phrase. He then asked me: "has anyone said gomer yet?". He told me that what it really means is: "Get Out of My Emergency Room".

Comment

I didn't realize that these phrases weren't common knowledge! We use most of them in vetmed too. "Strong work" was common at UFlorida too. They also had "that's how doctors do it." Another one for CTD: circling the drain is FTD: fixin' to die. And there was a year or so where bloodwork results or imagining results were "sexy" if they came back consistent with your diagnosis.

My favorite medical phrase is "concerning" though....when reviewing a path slide, these cells here concern me....or when looking at bloodwork, the ALP is concerning....or imaging, I'm concerned about this shadow here. Most of the time, it just meant "i don't know" by who ever was saying it....unless it was the path people, then it mean "oh crap your patient is gonna die."

I'm trying to think if there are any that are probably more vetmed specific....we have quite a few acronyms (ADR, BDLD, HBC)....I try not to say "put him down" for euthanasia, but it's common...however, I do say "knock him out" for anesthesia. We do talk about plucking vs shaving the balls though. And I hear "put your lipstick away" probably more often than a drag queen.
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

DH and I both know and use all of them at times. We use gorked out to describe the patient. My patients are never gorked out because I have an office practice, his are usually gorked out because he is an ICU Intensivist! The only one I have a hard time with is GOMER, it really bothers me and I yell at him every time he uses it. It does stand for "Get Out Of My Emergency Room" and I think originally in the book (House of God) referred to Nursing Home patients who the author felt should be DNR's and not taking up ER space.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Luanne, my DH has an office practice as well as his hospital practice, and he sees "gorked out" kids all of the time in his practice. In his terms, "gorked out" means a kid (or adult) with serious brain damage who is basically not even aware of what is going on. He sees a lot of those kids because they also have genitourinary issues as well. Very sad.

Comment

I heard a story of a doctor in a particularly rough part of town describing the origin of a gun shot wound with the acronym SOTCMMOBWSCAASM*

*Standing on the corner, minding my own business when somebody came along and shot me.

Kelly
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                              I heard a story of a doctor in a particularly rough part of town describing the origin of a gun shot wound with the acronym SOTCMMOBWSCAASM*

*Standing on the corner, minding my own business when somebody came along and shot me.

Kelly
                              You forgot the "at 3 in the morning" part.

I've only heard of gomer being used for the drug seekers who have no business being in the ER, not for elderly patients.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post

Kelly
                                AKA a Shreveport granuloma
                                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                                X