Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How old were you when you got married?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
    That said none of my friends married that young; in fact many of my friends are mid-30s and still single. *
    Not a single one of my HS or college friends are married. My sister is 28 and no where near marriage.

Comment

25/24 when we got married....totally planned....

Comment

We were both 26.

Comment

I was 33, DrK was 30. We will be 35 and 32, respectively, when Baby K is born. I felt like I married late and was among the last of my friends to marry. However, I just don't think I was ready or that I'd met the right person prior to then. Same for DrK.

I'm not ready to think about Baby K getting married. However, although it's not an exact science, I think DrK and I benefitted from marrying late in many ways. We have a lot more maturity/stability than, for instance, my brothers did at this stage in their marriages. (One married at 28. The other married a 22yo when he was 30.) However, having married late kinda puts a little pressure on us to start a family and we may not have time to space out our family planning as 40 is looming on the horizon.
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

We were both 22. We had been together for 5 years at that point. My mom thought 22 was too young, even though she was also married at 22 (and will be celebrating her 30th anniversary this year).

I agree that it depends on the people involved.
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I was 26, DH was 27. It was the right time in our lives. I don't think I'd mind a child marrying younger. I pause only because I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd married my high school or college boyfriends, but, assuming my child makes wiser decisions than I did... sure.

Comment

I was 21 and DH 23. I had one year of undergrad left and finished it as planned (my parents offered to pay my tuition and I accepted but would have finished either way). I wouldn't whole-heartedly endorse it as a good idea for every person that age but it worked for us and I wouldn't have done things differently. A minor concern in relating this to our kids is that I wouldn't want them to think this is our expectation for them nor expect themselves to be ready or find the right person at 21. Like Annie says, depends on the kid and the relationship.
                Last edited by cupcake; 08-10-2009, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I was 23 and she was 20 (turned 21 later that month). We met and dated in undergrad (my sophomore, her freshman year). I got a fellowship to study in Lund (Sweden) for a year after I graduated, then she graduated, we got married and started grad school together. So we'd been together for four years (1 long-distance) at that time.

I'm happy about how it worked for us. We tell our kids that we expect that they will be 25 or finished with undergrad when they get married.

Comment

26. DH and I had been a couple for nearly 6 years the day we got married. Even tho I was (and still am) madly in love with DH the day I met him, I just didn't feel the time was right until I was 25. I felt too young to get married when I was 20-24, so we waited. I didn't know at the time DH was going to start med school when he did. Looking back I'm SO HAPPY we got married when we did. It gave our marriage a solid year of growth before the crazy med school stuff started. I honestly don't know if I could have handled the med school stressor at 22-25 as a girlfriend or wife.

I wouldn't suggest to my worst enemy (much less my own daughter) marriage at an early age or a medical marriage!
                    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

We were both 21, together since we were 19.
                      I didn't start college until the year we were married but had been working/travelling for a few years so thought I was grown up! We would not have married quite so young if we were not from different countries and had to in order to stay in the same place. I always tell people we were much too young and feel lucky that it worked out. Probably would not want my kids to marry that young.

Comment

I was 21 and had just graduated from college. He was 19 (turned 20 a month later) and had just finished his freshman year of college. Our 19th anniversary is tomorrow. I don't think what we did would be right for most people, but it was the right thing for us. We met when I was 12 and he was 10 and were close friends from that point on. It was important to me to graduate before getting married.....I would recommend that my daughters do the same, if I had any. I think it was also good that we didn't have kids right away.
                        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I will be 26, DF will be just 27 (by a few weeks) in October when we get married. The person I would have married at 22 would have been a HORRIBLE idea but that being said, I would have done it if he'd asked because I was young and stupid (that's just me and my maturity, I know some people are ready then) - needless to say I'm MUCH happier now and in a much better place. My parents got married at 22 and they were a nightmare. They dated 2 years, all long distance, neither had ever lived anywhere but their parents home and dorms. Might work for some, NOT them.
                          Last edited by TulipsAndSunscreen; 08-10-2009, 04:00 PM. Reason: Typo. More to say. :)
                          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

DF and I will both be 27 when we get married next May. We've been together since our junior year of undergrad. I don't think we could have gotten married right out of undergrad or even during med school. There was a lot of time spent figuring out how to live with each other and where our individual lives and our lives together were going. I think we could have gotten married this past year, but with the way everything is panning out, I'm glad it's next year.

I think every situation is different, but I would definitely want my kids to wait until they had at least finished undergrad. And maybe had a year out on their own or together.
                            Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I met DH when I was 23, we married at 27. I think really "KNOWING" the person is important no matter what age you are when you get married.

With that being said, if any of my kids want to marry younger than 25 I'll likely freak out.
                              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

My husband and I were both 22 when we got married. I would hope my future children will wait until they are a bit older. I think, however, it depends on the people and the circumstances involved. My husband and I grew up together, attending the same church and the same school for awhile. We started dating in high school when we were 16. We waited until after undergrad to get married.

Comment

Working...
                                X