Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Marriage on the rocks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rae View Post
    SO after another dramatized argument, we got to the bottom of things. While I still believe we still need council, I feel much more at peace today. He agreed he handled his frustration way wrong, and would work on respecting me and the things I do to keep the household afloat. However, I did not make any head way on him helping me out, but so long as I am respected we can work on the other. So for now, back to the ole , , , and . Thanks for the advice. I plan to stick around.
    baby steps. hold him to being respectful, and remember to respect yourself and your contribution.

Comment

That sounds like progress!
      I'm glad you found our site and hope to hear more from you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by rae View Post
        SO after another dramatized argument, we got to the bottom of things. While I still believe we still need council, I feel much more at peace today. He agreed he handled his frustration way wrong, and would work on respecting me and the things I do to keep the household afloat. However, I did not make any head way on him helping me out, but so long as I am respected we can work on the other. So for now, back to the ole , , , and . Thanks for the advice. I plan to stick around.
        That's progress. And if I may give advice: Praise him for ANYTHING he does that shows respect or could possibly be construed as helping out. That will increase the frequency. People are a lot more like dogs than we like to admit; if you yell or kick the dog, it will bite you but if you shape good behavior with praise, the good behavior happens more often.
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
          That's progress. And if I may give advice: Praise him for ANYTHING he does that shows respect or could possibly be construed as helping out. That will increase the frequency. People are a lot more like dogs than we like to admit; if you yell or kick the dog, it will bite you but if you shape good behavior with praise, the good behavior happens more often.
          Jumping in late, but on top of that, remember to use "I" statements when offering criticism. I know it sounds silly, but it really does work; it keeps the other person from going on the defensive (or at least guards against it).
          Best of luck!
          Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

ETA: the whole God complex will only get worse as they move forward in training if left unchecked.

Oh my.

PS--If you have trouble finding time to attend counseling, some counselors offer phone services and late night sessions (I only know this because my mom is one of them!)
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Communication is the most important thing. For us it took time to go away from eachother, work things out in our heads, and then come back to a constructive conversation. Therapists will counsel you on your perceptions of things as being bad or good, offer specific language that you and you spouse can use to communicate better, and offer ways in which you can focus on you. I advised another person going through this very similar situation that you are the anchor point for the family. It may take time, but you will need to figure out how to be the best rock solid anchor you can be. ..and remember.....LIFE COULD BE MUUUUUCH WORSE......

All the best to you and Welcome to the show!

RB

Comment

...oh and one more thing...ALTHOUGH men are (admittedly) very simple creatures (no comments necessary, hens, thank you) jumping in the sack is bad juju if you guys are not getting along...

Comment

Something I used to always say to my husband, even in undergrad (we've been together 15 years), is it's great to work hard, but, if you've alienated everyone by working so hard, then all you've accomplished is not worth anything--you have no one to share it with.

So, we are in like PGY-I don't know...and it's hard, but remember you love him, you signed up for this when you married him--BUT, you have needs too. Be open and honest...if you put it on the table and he doesn't respond, try harder. Seek help, but hang in there. All marriages are difficult...medical marriages are unusually difficult. We are all here for you.

~annie

Comment

Working...
                  X