Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

FluShots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MrsK, did your OB advise against getting the regular flu vaccine? Mine was all for it. As for the H1N1, I agree, don't get the live version. They'll come out with the inactive one soon. Definitely not worth the risk, I think, since there's such a high risk for pregnant women who get sick with H1N1.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

The kids and I will be getting our flu shots at Dh's clinic. Dh already had his flu shot at his surgery center. I'm pretty sure that I will be getting the H1N1 vac. when it comes out.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with Swine Flu this summer. It was awful. Subsequently, her five year old dd and 8 month old ds contracted it too. Interestingly, her Dh never got it and he didn't take many precautions to avoid it (he continued to sleep in the same bed as my friend, etc.) The five year old suffered much more than the 8 month old. His was more like a bad cold than the flu.
      Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
        MrsK, did your OB advise against getting the regular flu vaccine? Mine was all for it. As for the H1N1, I agree, don't get the live version. They'll come out with the inactive one soon. Definitely not worth the risk, I think, since there's such a high risk for pregnant women who get sick with H1N1.
        She advised me to get the seasonal flu vaccine in KS next month. I'm not sure why she told me to wait but I don't think her office had it in stock when I was there. My brother says that he's having a hard time getting it in stock for his office.
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Rapunzel I am so sorry for your loss

DH and I are in a debate about flu shots... I got mine (and as an asthmatic if there is a CHANCE it will help, I'm getting it; I don't care if there is a chance it might not be effective). DH however has an amazing immune system and never gets sick, and has said he is not getting one.... BUT he just got an email from his dean saying that "it is your moral responsibility as a health care worker to do what you can to protect your patients as long as you are not allergic to eggs." We'll see how that goes over with DH?
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Strip Club Gives Seniors a Shot in the Arm
            Central Florida gentleman's club offers free flu shots
            http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...-60652957.html

Well at least people are getting the Flu shots.
            Brandi
            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

My problem is that everyone is making such a huge deal about H1N1 and totally forgetting that regular flu has killed a whole lot more people.

Our DON sent out an email about H1N1 today and all of the staff that i was working with were all freaked out and finally I said exactly that, "you know regular flu kills lots of people. More people that H1N1 has killed."

and they were SHOCKED - like never before have they heard that flu can kill. Amazing.

and they'd never heard of the 1918 flu epidemic AND they didn't know that flu was a lung thing not a stomach thing.

So, at least a few more people are slightly better educated at the end of the day today.

Jenn

Comment

I don't get the flu shot because in 35 years I have never had the flu. I don't want to waste a dose on me. However, I do get the kids vaccinated. Last year was the first year the C didn't get his, but that was because of the ADEM he had last year. I plan on getting S vaccinated if she is eligible.
                Kris

Comment

When I was at my OB today she said that if you do get the flu they consider you to have both regardless of what the culture shows. We got our seasonal shots but she's still encouraging me to get the H1N1 if it becomes available soon. DH's cousin was sick these last few days but they didn't tell her which one she had either.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

At DHs hospital, they aren't delineating either. Basically, you have influenza or you don't.
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

My husband got his flu shot last week.

I have to go and we still have to get the dude's shot.

Jenn

Comment

All the kids got their regular flu shot today. I got mine on Tuesday (at Costco ). DH got his something like two weeks ago I think at his base.

DH said that several residents have come down with confirmed H1N1 in the last few weeks - one of them was just diagnosed a week or so ago. They are all under quarantine.

What dh also told me (from some information he received somewhere - I haven't a clue where) that over 80% of the diagnosed flu cases seen so far have been H1N1. Now, I'm not sure if he meant at their hospital, in this state, or in the country. But, I do remember that there was a recent study done on weasels (I think?) that showed H1N1 does not mutate when it invades at the same time as a "regular" flu - instead they coexist and the symptoms are MUCH worse than just having one or the other.
                        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                        With fingernails that shine like justice
                        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

So I went to Sams Club and got my flu shot. About 5 hours later I have this huge bruise looking thing on my arm, and it hurts!! Never had this before with any other flu shot. OUCH!!!
                          Brandi
                          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Hope the swelling goes down soon. Have you tried taking some benadryl? Ouch!
                            Laurie
                            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Boo, that does not sound fun. Maybe put an ice pack on it? I hope it feels better soon!
                              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I've never had the visible bruise, but it is always sore! I take Ibuprofen and an icepack. Somehow, whenever I get my flu shot, that is the arm that DH wants to put his arm around, bump into, caress...lol. I start walking around protecting my arm because it is always sore for at least 2-3 days...uck! I'm sorry you are suffering!
                                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X