Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Paging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not even sure how to page my husband. I use text messages and email.
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Right now, that he's in lab, I call his cell phone. If he's in the hospital I page him that way if he's in the OR and a nurse picks up and says the number is "X" he can tell her to call me back or not. We have an emergency page that I've never had to use but then he knows I don't care who calls me back as long as someone does NOW! Otherwise he returns my page when he's not busy.

I don't like to call his cell phone because I don't want him to feel like he HAS to answer it when he's in a patient room or something.

Unfortunately I can't text page him because of the way his system works.

But to answer your question I usually call or page him once/day usually around 6pm to get an ETA.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I used to page him before he got his Iphone with Text. Now I can just text his phone. Today I had to call him because our internet/cable was turned off. I called and they said the bill hadn't been paid. I called him, he said he had paid it last night so I had to call them back and sure enough it was just going through... From now on I pay the bills.
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I've sent him a page a couple of times, but usually it's just to mess with him .

We text quite a bit throughout the day. Even when he's on a busy service he can usually find a free 30 seconds here or there to return a text. I imagine if I had some sort of emergency I'd page him since I'm sure he'd get that immediately.

But I agree with the other posters -- this really isn't a situation in which you can compare your paging frequency with ours Krystal . Good luck at work tomorrow!!
          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Hardly ever. We very rarely communicate between the time he leaves for work and when he comes home, with the exception of the occasional email. I guess we're weird like that...
            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by Auspicious View Post
              I think it's been about twice per year or so? It needs to be a semi-emergency. He's very good about calling to check in if he has a minute, though, so if he doesn't call I know he's probably too busy for a non-emergency conversation anyway.
              This is me too.

I also will email him schedule reminders that he can access from his phone.
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

For things of importance, I email him through Outlook so that he can add it to his calendar. Now, whether or not he does this, I don't know. Evidence shows that he does NOT but I've done my part.

Jenn

Comment

Before the separation, I only paged rarely. It had to be something pretty important - sick kid needing to be picked up from daycare type thing.

Now, I prefer to avoid talking to him altogether, but that is a different matter entirely.

In school, he could receive text pages, so I would occasionally do that. Now, the only option is to send one via the phone and enter a return number. I don't like to do that.
                  Kris

Comment

I tried paging once back in residency in a semi-emergency situation (that I ended up dealing with on my own) but he was so unused to me paging that he just ignored it. I haven't done it since. If I need to remind him of something or ask a question, I'll just send an email or leave voice mail on his cell. He'll get to it when he'll get to it.

Krystal, I'm with Jenn, your situation is different and you shouldn't feel guilty for reaching out to him right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
                      You're dealing with extraordinary circumstances, Krystal. I don't think you should compare your frequency of pages to the "day-to-day / how often" kind of thing.
                      This is completely right. Under your particular circumstances, Krystal, any guidelines the rest of us might have go out the window. I don't think anyone could begrudge you wanting to talk to your husband during the day with what you two are facing in your lives.

In general, though, I'll call him if I need to talk to him. If he's in the basement I'll just leave a message.

During residency, though, I would try not to page very often. There were bad times when I ended up paging him more often - but on a good week I *might* page him once during the entire week.
                      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                      With fingernails that shine like justice
                      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Our cell phone carrier (good ol' Verizon) has no reception in the hospital. So the only way to get ahold of him is to text his pager. I usually text with random things or a rant once per day, nothing he really needs to respond to, but something that I can't hold back until he gets home. If he is on call, then I don't really bother him as much, other than to text him that I'm going to bed so that he can call and say goodnight when he has a moment.

I would probably only call the hospital and have him paged overhead if it were an emergency. After I texted his pager of course.
                        Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
                          Hardly ever. We very rarely communicate between the time he leaves for work and when he comes home, with the exception of the occasional email. I guess we're weird like that...
                          How do you manage your emotions with 2 little ones if you don't get to talk to your husband? I'm just starting to feel very lonely and burned out because I have an 8-month-old daughter and a PGY2 radiology husband. I'm not sure how to keep things in check when I don't get to talk to him until he gets home (when I page, he only responds every once in a while). Then, he thinks I'm smothering him!

OK, clearly we have isues, but I don't know who else to talk to about this... maybe start a new thread?

Comment

Originally posted by allibees View Post
                            How do you manage your emotions with 2 little ones if you don't get to talk to your husband? I'm just starting to feel very lonely and burned out because I have an 8-month-old daughter and a PGY2 radiology husband. I'm not sure how to keep things in check when I don't get to talk to him until he gets home (when I page, he only responds every once in a while). Then, he thinks I'm smothering him!

OK, clearly we have isues, but I don't know who else to talk to about this... maybe start a new thread?
                            Yeah, definitely start a new thread (maybe in the Introductions forum so you can let us know a little about yourself?), this isn't the place but we know how you feel! Hang in there!
                            Alison

Comment

Originally posted by allibees View Post

Aw, definitely start a new thread!
                              Life is stressful at the best of times, but what I hear - residency tops it all!
                              *Hugs* to you!!
                              And you have definitely come to the right place if you need support and advice from women who are in the very place you are right now! (And many who have been there done that!)

Comment

I seldom page because he seldomly responds. Instead I text him via cell phone and he's more likely to respond that way. I never email because he doesn't have a smart phone so he may not even check email until he gets home. If it's something urgent, then I'll page, email, text, and call. I'll put a 911 at the end of the page so he knows to call me back right away.
                                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
                                X