Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Speaking of games, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of games, etc.

So, since the Beast (TV from 1993) finally kicked it we actually have a real live TV that's compatible with gaming systems.

Should I go on a hunt for a wii? Xbox? Whatever the other one is? My husband has one game that he plays online and dude has his few things (that are all boooooorrrrrinnnng)

I'm not into it at all- but should I be? and if I should be what should I be in to?

Jenn

I am probably the LEAST informed to answer this question because growing up all I had was the original Nintendo, but my mom/sister just got a Wii, and it is SO MUCH fun. I love even the basic Wii sports. I love the moving around and being active over just pushing buttons on a remote.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

You should be into the Wii. We have loved all of our Nintendo systems. We've spent many many ours as a family playing different Mario games and now we really enjoy the Wii sports and Active games. The kids on fall break recently pulled out one of the older systems and where having so much fun playing the old games.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We also love our Wii, I can do the Wii fit and DH can play guitar hero - we both play the bowling, golf, etc games too.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I would also recommend a Wii for your family. If you're not experienced gamers, the Xbox can be a little intimidating, and I'm not sure they make that many games for young children. I've played a few gamed on DH's Xbox, but I get confused with all the remote buttons and controls. The Wii is a lot of fun and easy to learn, and it's great for when you have company over. You *have* to get Rock Band.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

If your focus is on multiplayer gaming I would probably suggest getting the Wii. It's hard to beat when it comes to games you play together. If you're more into serious one-player gaming, appreciate top-quality graphics (and have the money) a PS3 might be for you. The XBox is a bit like a middle-of-the-road kind of option, cheaper than the PS3 but not as multiplayer- and family-oriented as the Wii.

So yeah, what the others said.

Comment

Wii, hands down. Great family entertainment or group fun. Very social, but can also do Wii Fit alone for a workout. We love ours.
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Slight tangent...is there a Rock Band-like game for kids? My 5.5 year old loves karaoke and I've been wondering if there is a Wii game with music that would be age appropriate.

Jenn, a Wii Fit might be a nice option as well. I'd like to get one for the kids for Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                  Slight tangent...is there a Rock Band-like game for kids? My 5.5 year old loves karaoke and I've been wondering if there is a Wii game with music that would be age appropriate.

Jenn, a Wii Fit might be a nice option as well. I'd like to get one for the kids for Christmas.

There is a Beatles one, and I believe Lego is coming out with some kind of rock band for kids...

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...go-video-game/
                  -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                  Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                  Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Nellie, have you seen Wii Music? That might be more kid friendly. (I was looking at it on the theory that it would be mom friendly, haha.)

As a not gamer, I really love the Wii. I understand PS3 and Xbox are better for people who are into video games, while Wii is better suited for the casual user.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

We have them all but the Wii is upstairs for myself (and the toddler). DH has an xbox and the PS3 downstairs.

Comment

Thanks!

The Beatles one is out:
                        http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Beatles-Ro...5705874&sr=8-1

The Lego one comes out Nov 3.
                        http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Rock-Band...5705960&sr=8-1

Comment

We also have them all and the only one I will actually touch is the Wii.

Comment

depends on why youre buying it... the only thing thats good about the Wii is the Wii sports... everything else about the Wii sucks the Wii is not a "Gaming" System forreal. if you like video games then id suggest the xbox 360 or the playstation 3. they have way more games to play... and they have games for all ages

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                              Nellie, have you seen Wii Music? That might be more kid friendly. (I was looking at it on the theory that it would be mom friendly, haha.)
                              Wii Music pretty much sucks. We got it last Christmas and were really disappointed. We have several of the Guitar Heroes, and I'm really irritated that if we wanted to get Beatles Rock Band we'd have to buy corresponding instruments as well. Apparently Wii is the only platform where the guitars / drums aren't interchangable between Guitar Hero and Rock Band. I don't want to shell out the $ OR find somewhere to store more plastic instruments.

I have to check out the Lego link. If they're going to have a Lego music thing that would be cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X