Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

DH "judging" me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DH "judging" me

(I can't post in the marriage/relationship section yet, so can I put this thread here??)

Does this sound familiar to you??

Just had a big fight with DH about how (he thinks) I'm always complaining how hard something is, how badly the kids were behaving, or which thousand things I have to get done before next week and that I'm planning it and stressing... and his resulting conclusion is always that it IS a complaint and negative, even if I just thought I was telling him about my day and what was going on, sometimes in a very neutral way. He isn't AWARE at all of the effort that goes into something (even talking to the insurance for 10 minutes on the phone when all 3 girls are home) and ends up wondering why I'm making a big deal or being so negative or stressed about something "small" or "easy". I feel like I'm trying to tell him about what I'm working on, planning, deciding, and his standard response is not helpful, but a judgement of how slowly, poorly, or too-much-effort I'm putting into it, and that I am causing my own problem.

Example: I'm telling him about how kid A was really rude to grandma today and I'm trying to figure out how to handle such a situation as the disciplinary parent, and he just says to "not worry about it" and then gets mad if I don't find that that comforting/helpful/supportive?!?

Does your doc belittle your handling of family/home tasks too? Any suggestions on how I can handle a discussion that turns from my "I'm working on this task and telling you about it, maybe you have an idea" to his "Jenn is being an overanxious perfectionist again and if she would just quit it, life would be nicer."

When HE's stressing about a grant or talking about a hard-to-intubate patient, I just accept that it IS what he says it is, hard or stressful... I wouldn't DREAM of saying, "oh, it's not a big deal, just go write that grant, and quit worrying" or "that patient was probably easier to intubate than you're describing"...

Originally posted by PDXJenn View Post
    Does your doc belittle your handling of family/home tasks too? Any suggestions on how I can handle a discussion that turns from my "I'm working on this task and telling you about it, maybe you have an idea" to his "Jenn is being an overanxious perfectionist again and if she would just quit it, life would be nicer."
    Wow. Honestly, no. My DH does not belittle me at all if I bring up a situation like that and seek his input on how to handle. I'm so sorry. I would be angry, hurt, and probably ready to spit nails.

If this happened to me, I might simply stop talking to DH entirely about ALL family issues. Just shut down. He'd definitely notice. When it got bad enough, he'd end up asking, "Why haven't you been talking to me much?" Then, once he actually cared, I'd explain that I really need his support but I have found him to be rude, dismissive and judgmental, so I have not included him.

Comment

While DH hasn't ever come right out and said that... I think he thinks it sometimes. (But, knows better than to actually verbalize it to me I think sometimes they loose touch with the reality of homelife because there is alway someone (us) to handle all of the things that they don't have to deal with (insurance, bills, housework, kids, activities, laundry, shopping, etc). I often wonder if this is an universal marriage issue, or if it is more specific to medical marriages...
      Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
      Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

I'm sorry.
        my dh doesn't do what you described. I'm lucky in that...he is so thankful for what I do..what it takes to keep the house/kids/life running somewhat smoothly.

But! (I wonder if this is somewhat your dh?) when I do gripe about how hard juggling the bills are, getting kids to do homework/pick up/to bed, cleaning/laundry etc....his response is (mood dependant)...I'm sorry. What do you want me to do? I'm sorry I can't fix it.

Me: sigh. Hello. I don't want you to fix it!!!! I'm venting!!! You vent Every. Single. Day. And I dont express my desire or lack of ability to "fix it"

I thInk it's his way of takIng care of me. In his own mind. Lol.

Again, I'm sorry for how your dh responded to you. :hugs:
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies View Post
          But! (I wonder if this is somewhat your dh?) when I do gripe about how hard juggling the bills are, getting kids to do homework/pick up/to bed, cleaning/laundry etc....his response is (mood dependant)...I'm sorry. What do you want me to do? I'm sorry I can't fix it.

Me: sigh. Hello. I don't want you to fix it!!!! I'm venting!!! You vent Every. Single. Day. And I dont express my desire or lack of ability to "fix it"
          This is very often a guy thing. They'll tend to assume that people don't complain about something to them unless they want help or a suggestion of how to make it better, even if they vent-just-to-vent themselves, sometimes. I say guy thing, but I tend that way myself, too. There are times when I have to consciously stop myself from offering suggestions to people because I can tell they just want sympathy and to get it off their chest, they don't want help fixing it.

PDXJenn, I would be *so frustrated* if my DH was that out of touch with my communication style and I felt dismissed and belittled like that. Have you tried changing how you talk about your day and just saying flat out "I want to get your input on this situation, here's what's going on.." or even "I'm not complaining, just telling you what went on today" (repeat as often as needed until he starts believing you)? Sometimes things need to be spelled out VERY CLEARLY.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by PDXJenn View Post
            When HE's stressing about a grant or talking about a hard-to-intubate patient, I just accept that it IS what he says it is, hard or stressful... I wouldn't DREAM of saying, "oh, it's not a big deal, just go write that grant, and quit worrying" or "that patient was probably easier to intubate than you're describing"...

Have you said exactly this to him? I find that relating it to something in their life - something you would find easy to shrug off - can be helpful. And then kind of dovetailing on rainbabies post --- I know that in our house when we'd run into something similar (along the "you're so negative" vein), it turns out my dh was actually feeling guilty for not being able to correct / fix / resolve the problem, so in turn would rather not hear about it at all. In those instances, I found it helpful to start with a "I know you can't fix this, I just need to get it off my chest."

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
              Have you said exactly this to him? I find that relating it to something in their life - something you would find easy to shrug off - can be helpful. And then kind of dovetailing on rainbabies post --- I know that in our house when we'd run into something similar (along the "you're so negative" vein), it turns out my dh was actually feeling guilty for not being able to correct / fix / resolve the problem, so in turn would rather not hear about it at all. In those instances, I found it helpful to start with a "I know you can't fix this, I just need to get it off my chest."
              Yes, this.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Yep. But it is a guy thing, not a doctor thing.
                Kris

Comment

Wow--I had this very same fight with DF today. I've been kind of down and depressed lately for various reasons, and he says he misses the "smiley" me he used to know...don't you just want to kick them sometimes?
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Agreed.

A few months ago, I was having a hard time getting DH to understand why something he was doing really bothered me. So I put it in terms he could understand by comparing it to something that really bothered him. It seemed to get the point across fairly well -- at least, better than any other argument I'd tried up to that point .
                    Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

We've gone through various stages of this, but now that we're homeschooling our girls, and they have to take relig ed classes once a week at church, and have ballet 3 days a week plus rehearsals, he realizes that it is a lot for one person and helps as much as he can. But he still acts like the principal of our little school. I have left him home to teach math while he had the 2 year old running all over and climbing the furniture. He lightened up on the daily 3rd degree on what schooling we do each day.
                      Veronica
                      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

THANK YOU all for helping me really believe I'm not crazy about how much this bothers me... Grrgh. I am SO working on a better way to get him to "get it"...

I think yes, I want to try to- when I am calm- prepare how to more clearly say what I need from him. The wanting to fix it approach is DEFINITELY his style, so he's probably really annoyed that he can't ever seem to fix any of my problems, I don't know?!? It is amazing what a difference there is between loving someone dearly and being able to live with them on a day to day basis! I'm actually going away early December for a whole weekend course on "understanding men" with the main goal of learning how to talk to him so that he hears what I actually think I'm saying, ...

I have a friend who is a military wife, and apparently they (the military) are really good about telling the guys who are away on tour to totally respect that she's home running the household and kids, so that when he comes home he needs to "fit into that" rather than try to take it over and tweak any problems he sees. Wish I could get somebody (other than me) to tell my DH that, that I am SO the boss of everything when he is gone, and I am doing an amazing job but it is exhausting and thankless sometimes and he needs to just plain acknowledge that!!! I know he doesn't mean to make me feel incompetent, but he sure does. And I keep thinking why does he get the prestige and the big bucks and society's respect, and I'm the one who's actually on call all the time, not him. The other night was the first time in almost 4 years that our middle DD didn't wake me at 2 am- I felt so well-rested when I woke up, unbelievable! HE gets to sleep after night shifts.

Anyway, a work in progress, obviously, but thank you ladies for giving me a safe place to vent!!! I'll work on your suggestions.

Jenn

Comment

It is really nice to have some validation. Hang in there, hopefully he will be open to honest communication.
                          Kris

Comment

I think it is a great idea that you are taking that class. I am not saying that because I think *you* need the help - but instead that at this point, the responsibility of dealing/solving this is falling on you because you recognize the problem when he may not. I hope that your weekend class can offer support and techniques for opening the lines of communication. All my best, I'm pulling for you!
                            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

the responsibility of dealing/solving this is falling on you because you recognize the problem when he may not
                              That seems to be a common theme in so many relationships (including my own)

"Hun, we need to talk about this problem"

"What problem, everything's fine"
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X