Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Boo! Boo! TamiFlu!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boo! Boo! TamiFlu!

So I woke up last night with a scratchy sore throat, a mild elevation, and slight chills.

Now, as you all may recall from a bitter, previous thread, I have invested countlesss, fruitless hours attempting to get myself the H1N1 vaccination, yet I am not yet vaccinated. Despite being both asthmatic and pregnant. The vaccine just isn't available here in the City yet (in the County, of course, where the $$$$ pregnant women give birth in luxury boutiques with candles and ambiance--no problem. It's available).

Anyhooo...concerned that I might be getting the flu (and with DH leaving soon for fellowship interviews and several major court hearings coming up at work), DH started me on TamiFlu.

I took one pill at 12:30 AM.

Then, from 1:00 AM to 5:30 AM, I wretched, vomited, and dry-heaved to the point where I could not physically get out of bed. About every 30 minutes.

Nice.

The "prevention" seemed worse that the disease. DH mentioned, Uh, yeah, one of the side effects may be vomiting.

On a positive note, all the horrible stomach acid passing through my esophagus has made me completely forget about my sore throat, as I suppose the nerves have been deadened.

So, no more TamiFlu. $40 wasted and regurgitated.

Abigail that sucks - I hope you feel better soon.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

How awful!! Hang in there.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Simply miserable. I hope you don't now actually get the flu on top of it.

Comment

Oh no! If you need anything let me know. I can always bring soup!
          Brandi
          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

How horrible I hope you start to feel better soon!
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I sure hope you will feel better real soon.

I recall those horrid days of being pregnant,ill and having little ones to care for...so glad that's behind me!

Comment

I'm so sorry, that sounds horrible. I hope you're feeling better soon.
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Yikes! I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better very soon.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Thanks. I have stopped wretching and can keep food down, so I guess the effects of the TamiFlu have passed. So gross. Poor DH. He had an experiment set up to run this morning, but I wanted DS not to miss Sunday School (there's an actual curriculum, so if you miss a week, you really do miss something...). DH ran his experiment early, ran home, and took the kids to church. I was able to get up and get the kids fed and dressed, so we managed it. Church sans mom went OK, it sounds like, except for when DS stuck his finger in the cream cheese set out for the bagels for the after-mass breakfast.

I really, really, really hope that I don't get the flu!!

Comment

That sounds horrible. I hope you don't get the flu!

Comment

I'm glad you're feeling better nausea-wise today. I have a friend who experienced similar nausea and she was miserable until it wore off.

As a head's up though, Tamiflu isn't recommended during pregnancy...

http://www.tamiflu.com/sideeffects.aspx
                        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                          I'm glad you're feeling better nausea-wise today. I have a friend who experienced similar nausea and she was miserable until it wore off.

As a head's up though, Tamiflu isn't recommended during pregnancy...

http://www.tamiflu.com/sideeffects.aspx
                          Yeah, DH made some phone calls to OB friends before prescribing. Apparently, they are recommending TamiFlu to pregnant women who couldn't get the H1N1 vaccination because of how potentially dangerous that flu is to preggos.

I am not worried...I ed it up, anyway. (Maybe I shouldn't have taken it with the whiskey chaser...hahaha! Kidding!)

Comment

Yikes! Feel better. I'm still downing Vitamin C and hoping I make it through finals. I cant imagine how horrible it would be with kiddos and a busy doc to take care of.
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Get well soon! Hope you don't have the flu. That would be even more awful being pregnant.

Comment

Working...
                              X