Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Boo! Boo! TamiFlu!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
    As a head's up though, Tamiflu isn't recommended during pregnancy...

http://www.tamiflu.com/sideeffects.aspx
    The CDC seems to think the benefits outweigh the risks. http://www.cdc.gov/Features/PregnantH1N1Flu/

I heard an item on NPR with a pediatrician saying he hesitated to give Tamiflu because of the GI side effects. So when Natalie was feverish and DH said she met the criteria for antivirals, but she didn't seem to need them really and it was up to me, I declined because I didn't want a sick tummy when she was already feeling gross. GMW, I'm so sorry that your discomfort was increased but I'm glad it passed!
    Alison

Comment

I hope you are feeling better. I am on day 4 of Tamiflu, and slept 20 hours a day, for 3 days. It sucks. Today is the first day I have felt human.
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm on day four of feeling crappy. Very viral feeling, wit sore throat, stuffy head, and aches. Despite that, took the girls to Kalahari (Indoor waterpark) this weekend because it was prepaid. Now oldest daughter is feeling same way. I think I can tough it out but she is prone to all sorts of illnesses. We have Tamiflu here(thanks DH) but am debating on whether to give it to her. All I want to do is sleep. Any exhertion and I break out in a cold sweat.

I feel your pain.

Comment

Is the extreme exhaustion caused by the flu, by the TamiFlu, or by a combination, I wonder?

I am just keeping my fingers crossed. You know how it is when you've got kids and you WOTH. You and the kids can never get sick simultaneously. Which means that your absence from work is always double: when you're sick, and when your kids are sick.

I am looking at a very bad next couple of weeks at work. I so don't need this!!

Comment

Hey, PeepToes: I can't blow up your little picture next to your name any bigger, to see the people. Is that you and the DH? He looks like a total cutie!

Comment

N0 offense meant by the Tamiflu thing. Here, the OB's are handing it out only with a positive flu test...I guess it just depends on where you are living? I have a neighbor who is pregnant who thought she was coming down with h1n1 and they had her tested first. She didn't end up testing positive and so they wouldn't give it to her. She was mad because she was so afraid of getting the flu. They told her it wasn't possible to prophylactically treat everyone with flu-like symptoms.

I just wanted to pass that on. It could have just been her OB though.

Kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

That really sucks Abigail. I hope you're feeling better sooner rather than later.

Both the girls and DH have gotten the flu already despite getting the seasonal flu vaccine. All of them were completely exhausted and only one of them (DD) had Tamiflu so I'm sure it's the flu that causes the fatigue.

The flu(s) this year are vicious!!!
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Kris, it is the same here.
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Oh man - that sounds horrible Abigail! I'm really hoping you don't get sick.

And that is sooooo irritating that you weren't able to get a vacination when you fall under two high risk categories!

Hoping you feel better quickly!
                    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

oh ugh!!! I feel for you!

Isn't it just so ridiculous that there isn't a more systematic approach to who can find the vaccine when and where? It's in limited supply, we get that, but sending droves of people to stand in lines somewhere because they heard there were a few doses available isn't really helping anybody, sheesh, !

I'm not pregnant but terribly asthmatic and already not breathing well "normally"... my pulmonologist said he'll personally email me when he can find me a dose! Apparently clinics usually just get a call the night before about how many doses will be delivered and where... rather mafia-like!

Crazy! Glad you're feeling better again, at least...

Comment

Oh Abigail! I hope you are feeling better, that Tamiflu really does seem to throw people for a loop. Our doc gave it to our 9 year old because he has asthma but would not give it to our 7 year old. It seemed to shorten the course of the flu by about 2-3 days. Take care of yourself.
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                          N0 offense meant by the Tamiflu thing.

Kris
                          No offense taken here. Your response was much more muted than that of my mom (a nurse): "He prescribed you WHAT?!?!?! That's not classed for pregnant women...[followed by five-minute freak-out]."

Tell you something, though. The whole experience has REALLY made my admire people who have suffered through chemo or have to deal with chronic anti-viral treatments for HIV. I don't know how they do it. I know there are anti-emetics (sp?), but man...it was a really awful experience to uncontrollable, spastically vomit and wretch like that.
                          Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 11-16-2009, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Tell you something, though. The whole experience has REALLY made my admire people who have suffered through chemo or have to deal with chronic anti-viral treatments for HIV. I don't know how they do it. I know there are anti-emetics (sp?), but man...it was a really awful experience to uncontrollable, spastically vomit and wretch like that
                            You know, when my mom had chemo, they put something in her drip that prevented the nausea/vomiting. I think she only had the sickness once -- the first time. They've gotten really good at controling it. And there is zofram too which absolutely saved me during the 1st and 2nd trimesters of this pregnancy. Of course, it is possible that my mom just got lucky but I was really surprised when her doctor told us that she was not going to spend the entire course of her treatment throwing up.
                            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                            X