Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anyone take pilates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone take pilates?

Does anyone do pilates classes? I have been thinking about signing up. I never felt I was at the fitness level to try this until recently, as I have been working out my upper body a lot this summer. What are the beginner classes like? My understanding is that beginners start out on the mat. I've taken yoga before--is it similar to yoga?

I have done a pilates reformer class. That is were they use the sliding machine. I have to say I was scared of Pilates! It's similar, for me, to yoga, in holding poses that increase muscle strength and flexibility: they just do it a different manner. What I liked about the reformer class, and the machine, was that because I was so new to pilates, it really helped me learn to put myself in a the proper pose with assistance. The instructor is very hands on and the class is no more than 6. I liked it, and I think I would do it again. Mind you, it's like Vinyasa Yoga to me. If you don't go regularly, your body lets you know.

Comment

I've just started and I love it. I'm not fit - trying to get there, but it really works for all levels. I do the reformer class -- I suppose different facilities do it differently, but you certainly don't have to start on a mat. I agree w/Pebbles that the machine helps you to hold poses in the proper position, and honestly it makes me feel graceful (in a totally jiggly, expose yourself sort of way). It helps keep your movements focused and smooth, there's no loud clanking of nautilus machines or whizzing of ellipticals /treadmills. I absolutely love it.

Comment

I love Pilates. People tend to start with the mat classes because they are usually less expensive, but I think equipment classes are actually best for beginners to get the feel of the movements.

It is similar to yoga in that the practice is a series of movements to improve strength and flexibility, focusing on proper form and positioning. Pilates is also really similar to ballet training-- not the dancing part, just the warm up or barre work, with the repetition tiny toning movements, and body alignment.

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Selu View Post
          I love Pilates. People tend to start with the mat classes because they are usually less expensive, but I think equipment classes are actually best for beginners to get the feel of the movements.

It is similar to yoga in that the practice is a series of movements to improve strength and flexibility, focusing on proper form and positioning. Pilates is also really similar to ballet training-- not the dancing part, just the warm up or barre work, with the repetition tiny toning movements, and body alignment.

Have fun!
          That explains my "feeling graceful" comment much better than I did. I totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
            That explains my "feeling graceful" comment much better than I did. I totally agree.
            "Feeling graceful" works too Like you leave an inch taller. Now this discussion is making it hard for me to sit out the afternoon in my desk chair.

Comment

Originally posted by Selu View Post
              "Feeling graceful" works too Like you leave an inch taller.
              I'd do almost anything to make me an inch taller lol

Comment

Did the reformer classes in college when it was cheap and loved it. Cant afford to pay $45-$60 a pop now though. Mat classes are good, though, and offered everywhere.
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I knew nothing about pilates but took one last year because it fit my schedule. I thought it was like a bunch of old ladies stretching. Ha ha ha. It busted my a**. I love the way it made my body feel. After class, it felt like I had been stretched out by a masseuse. It is a great compliment to running which tightens you down. Love, love, love it.
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                    I knew nothing about pilates but took one last year because it fit my schedule. I thought it was like a bunch of old ladies stretching. Ha ha ha. It busted my a**. I love the way it made my body feel. After class, it felt like I had been stretched out by a masseuse. It is a great compliment to running which tightens you down. Love, love, love it.
                    Wow, great description! I'm looking forward to trying it.

Comment

I took one once but the instructor was so condescending to the participants that I never went back. He's one of those gym instructors that has women fawning all over him and he's mean to them!

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                        I took one once but the instructor was so condescending to the participants that I never went back. He's one of those gym instructors that has women fawning all over him and he's mean to them!

Jenn
                        The teacher can ruin the experience. My first one was fantastic, my second one, stunk, and then my third one was really good too... So you just have to find the right instructor for you.
                        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I have been taking pilates at the Y and love it. There are 3 different instructors that I have had and all of them are different. One pushes you so hard you want to cry (in a totally good way). Her classes are fast paced with little rest between the different excercises. The others are pretty good too. I am going to miss taking the classes when I start work in a couple of weeks.
                          Kris

Comment

FWIW, my classes aren't $45/60 a pop. They're $25 (on top of my monthly gym membership), which I totally realize is still spendy and I'm quite grateful to be able to do it. The gym offers a mat class for $17/hour, but I figure I'm getting much more personalized attention (max of 5/class) for the extra $8.

Comment

FWIW, my classes aren't $45/60 a pop. They're $25 (on top of my monthly gym membership), which I totally realize is still spendy and I'm quite grateful to be able to do it. The gym offers a mat class for $17/hour, but I figure I'm getting much more personalized attention (max of 5/class) for the extra $8.
                              Jeez--that is really really good! I've been checking everywhere around here and cant find anything. Wish I had realized I could have taken it all 8 semesters of college...could have gotten certified too! I'm not even spending money on a gym membership right now, though, so I guess it is something that will just have to wait until someday. It was the only exercise I actually really loved, though!
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X