Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anyone take pilates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have Lifetime Fitness near you? It's a chain - that's where I go.

Comment

We do...but it is $89/month for one person!
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Really? I pay about $79 (I think) for me + 3 kids. I know they were running grand opening specials, but I think the savings was only $10. I also know they've got different tiers of membership -- like I'm not allowed to use other LTF when I travel). Maybe give them a call and press it / ask for deals?

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post

Jeez--that is really really good! I've been checking everywhere around here and cant find anything. Wish I had realized I could have taken it all 8 semesters of college...could have gotten certified too! I'm not even spending money on a gym membership right now, though, so I guess it is something that will just have to wait until someday. It was the only exercise I actually really loved, though!

Does the med school have a rec center? That's where I went when DH was in school and it was awesome (as in state of the art with appropriately degreed/certified staff) If they don't, they probably have a place or places that will give discounts for med students/families. Have your DH check with student services. While he is there - have him find out what other discounts/free services they have negotiated. THIS is usually covered during orientation but no one ever pays attention.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Really? I pay about $79 (I think) for me + 3 kids. I know they were running grand opening specials, but I think the savings was only $10. I also know they've got different tiers of membership -- like I'm not allowed to use other LTF when I travel). Maybe give them a call and press it / ask for deals?
            We're in the city and it's an "Onyx Level" club where there are apparently never crowds, etc....at least that is what the sales rep told me. My parents pay about the same as you for a Lifetime out in the 'burbs, but I guess they can charge more in the city? Personally I think the prices are the reason there are no crowds! Would have been another 69.95 for DH to join with me!!

I pretty much checked out all the other clubs in the area--24 Hour Fitness is a good deal when you buy a year membership, but no reformer classes there either. And hearing the receptionist mention a lice infestation in the locker room was enough to send me running. LA Fitness, the local YMCA, Gold's Gym, even the Jewish Community Center are all relatively expensive in this area.

MedPedSpouse--they have a very nice one that is free for students, but $40 for me. I will probably join the corporate gym my company provides ($27/month) during the winter months--it is very nice, but we're trying to save money so I'm trying to take advantage of the weather (blistering heat-haha!) and work out at home or go on rides with DH until it gets colder. They have Pilates reformer classes, but at $60/pop... On the plus side I can join and quit at will, with no additional joining or cancellation fees--that is a nice perk!

I will have him check out any discounts at the med school fitness center, though.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

SoonerTexan, have you checked out Planet Fitness? Monthly membership is relatively cheap - $10 or $20, depending upon which level you choose (I think the more expensive one allows you to work out at other locations). The facilities are bare bones - treadmills, stationary bikes, ellipticals, free weights and weight lifting machines. No classes, no personal training (except for a few intro classes on how to use the equipment and tailor it to you). It's a good facility for cardio and weight training, although I do miss my spinning class at my old gym. Oh, you could also look into Lady of America, which was my old gym. They had everything Planet Fitness does, plus a circuit, personal training, sauna, classes, spinning, and Pilates. Not sure if they had the reformer classes, I don't think I have ever seen a Pilates machine. The membership was a little bit more, probably between $20 and $40, depending upon if you catch a special introductory offer.
              Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

google it. it looks like a medieval torture device. as you're working on it and the instructor says "Now cross the straps and put your fingers through the metal rings ... you just wonder how on earth Mr. Pilates (or whomever it was) came up with this crazy table!

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                  google it. it looks like a medieval torture device. as you're working on it and the instructor says "Now cross the straps and put your fingers through the metal rings ... you just wonder how on earth Mr. Pilates (or whomever it was) came up with this crazy table!
                  Yes, that is EXACTLY what it looks like. And there are so many different versions of it! Wow, and I though those Bowflex machines looked like torture...
                  Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I'm pretty sure he was working with injured soldiers--that's why the Cadillac (love that name) looks like a hospital bed

Comment

Yes, originally it was so the exercises could be done while in the hospital. Frankly I hate floor pilates...I think there is more room for injury - especially in those big classes where the instructor does not walk around to make sure you have proper alignment. Ok - off my soapbox.
                      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I totally agree! I love the machines so much more!

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                          Yes, originally it was so the exercises could be done while in the hospital. Frankly I hate floor pilates...I think there is more room for injury - especially in those big classes where the instructor does not walk around to make sure you have proper alignment. Ok - off my soapbox.
                          How interesting!

I agree with you re: mat/injuries/alignment. I feel so much safer pushing myself to *do* the whole exercise b/c I know I've got the straps there to guide me.

Comment

I agree with you re: mat/injuries/alignment. I feel so much safer pushing myself to *do* the whole exercise b/c I know I've got the straps there to guide me.
                            Plus it just makes me feel like one of the cool kids.

Comment

Well, this also explains the "grace/ballet" connection.

http://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/about...f-pilates.html

Comment

This is what my gym has

http://teaguepilates.com/reformer_wallunit.html

I think I would have run away screaming if I saw the "cadillac"!

Comment

Working...
                                X