Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

what are your biggest fears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RadiantBurrito View Post
    My biggest fear is being a prisoner of my own mind, becoming menatally incapicitated. Developing Alzheimer's or dementia or even something like bipolar disorder. My brother is bipolar and sometime I can't even begin to fathom how terrible it would be to not be in control of your moods and thoughts.

Being a prisoner of your own body is a fear of mine too. Like being paralysed or having a stroke.
    Along these lines, mine and my sister's biggest fear is becoming our mom. She's got BPD and as much as I have empathy for her situation, she's an emotional vaccuum and makes everyone around her miserable.

I also have a unreasonable fear of almost all bugs/spiders/centipedes, etc. I'll drag DH out of bed to kill something and he thinks I'm nuts for it. One time I was in bed just about to fall asleep and rolled over and found centipede under the covers with me. I FREAKED out, screamed, jumped up and went from zero to sixty and clotheslined myself on the metal bars surrounding our canopy bed. DH couldn't figure out what was wrong with me because I was completely hysterical. I had never seen a centipede before so I told him I saw a slithery thing in our bed with a split tail. He thought I was imagining it but I absolutely refused to even go back upstairs until he found whatever the slithery thing with the split tail was. An hour later and after pulling the entire bed apart he found it. I ended up having to go to the ER because I thought my nose was broken. You can imagine the looks on the nurses and doctors faces when I told them how I busted my nose. They kept asking if I was sure I felt safe in my home.
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I have issues with popping balloons...any loud unexpected sound really. Clearly I was in a war in another life as I still suffer from shell shock
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Cicadas make me homesick! I love the sound of them on a summer evening. I even like the delicate shells they leave on trees.

Originally posted by sunnysideup View Post
        Yikes! Were you seeing them in your house? I thought they are mainly in barns, etc.
        Nope, brown recluse spiders love basements & cardboard boxes! When DH & I first married, we rented a little bungalow in a small town while I finished college. We didn't move in until a month after we started renting, but we left a bunch of cardboard boxes in the house for that month. When we finally moved in, we had several hours of driving to get there, and we were all looking forward to our first night in our first house. You can guess - we walked in and there were spiders EVERYWHERE!!! We camped out in a tent in the yard that night, went to the hardware store in the morning for bug bombs, and spent the rest of the day at a nearby lake! We didn't see any live bugs in that house for six months afterward. I use plastic boxes almost exclusively now, and the first thing I do when I move somewhere is spray all the baseboards.

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
        Oh, I have a new one now. Being stalked and killed by some creeper from Craigslist.
        I'd be reporting that to the police! Yeeps!

Comment

Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
          One time I was in bed just about to fall asleep and rolled over and found centipede under the covers with me. I FREAKED out, screamed, jumped up and went from zero to sixty and clotheslined myself on the metal bars surrounding our canopy bed. DH couldn't figure out what was wrong with me because I was completely hysterical. I had never seen a centipede before so I told him I saw a slithery thing in our bed with a split tail. He thought I was imagining it but I absolutely refused to even go back upstairs until he found whatever the slithery thing with the split tail was.
          Charlene, I had never seen a centipede until we moved here. We've found three or four in our guest bedroom/laundry area. Those things are BIG and CREEPY. Thankfully DH has been home every time I've seen one.

Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
          They kept asking if I was sure I felt safe in my home.
          Haha!

Comment

WEll since we just submitted our application for residency , my biggest fear is not matching.
            Brandi
            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I used to be afraid that I'd never marry, never have children, my mom and my dog would get sick and die, I'd fail in my career and live a nomadic life. So, now I'm married, I have a child, my mom and my dog have both been sick and, although it depresses me, I've come to terms with the fact that they will die. I'm successful in my career and I do live a nomadic life. Seems that I've faced most of my old fears and replaced them with new ones. I'm really happy with my life and I worry about how easily the balance can be upset and about not knowing how close to the edge I could be.

Originally posted by Deb7456 View Post

Nope, brown recluse spiders love basements & cardboard boxes! When DH & I first married, we rented a little bungalow in a small town while I finished college. We didn't move in until a month after we started renting, but we left a bunch of cardboard boxes in the house for that month. When we finally moved in, we had several hours of driving to get there, and we were all looking forward to our first night in our first house. You can guess - we walked in and there were spiders EVERYWHERE!!! We camped out in a tent in the yard that night, went to the hardware store in the morning for bug bombs, and spent the rest of the day at a nearby lake! We didn't see any live bugs in that house for six months afterward. I use plastic boxes almost exclusively now, and the first thing I do when I move somewhere is spray all the baseboards.

Ok, brand new fear. I've got tons of cardboard boxes stored in my basement. . . probably some sort of compulsive disorder caused by the trauma of having to move 5 times last year. And I hold on to them for shipping things to my friends and family.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
                WEll since we just submitted our application for residency , my biggest fear is not matching.
                BTDT and survived. It sucks but there are options.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

My currents fears: my sick cat dying, our neighborhood being redistricted to a new school next fall and being able to help my kids with their issues.
                  Needs

Comment

My big critter fear is snakes. Not that I run into them that often, but omg, terrifying.

My big medical-lifestyle fear is that I will give up on my career because it will be easier. If I give up on my career because I don't like it, fine, but I'm really afraid I'll look at the way DH's life is scheduled (work weekends, get weeks off at a time) and compare it to mine (get three day weekends, struggle to take big blocks of time off) and decide it isn't worth the hassle. I guess I'm afraid I'll give up.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Working...
                    X