Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hopkins shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scarlett09 View Post
    But it is a realization for me that no workplace is safe from violence.
    This is so true. I was held up at gun point while working.

Comment

This is my #1 worry with DH at work. There are several ED docs who wear bullet proof vests to work (we've talked about it), and many who carry as well. He has been assaulted more times than I can count at work, and I am just thankful that he hasn't ever been seriously hurt. It seems like this incident is largely over and the doc is in surgery with non life-threatening injuries. So scary.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Yes, this is a near constant concern with DrK's mental health patients too. There are a lot of violent patients. They have rules for the docs like not wearing neckties, don't let a patient get between you and the door, don't didplay family photos, don't keep hot beverages in areas patients can access. I get really anxious when he works in the assessment center.
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Dh is going on rotation in Baltimore shock trauma in 2 months... And his classmate is at BST now. I guess it's right next door to Hopkins... Scary stuff. Very scary.

I can't imagine wearing a bullet proof jacket to work, or carrying a gun. That's awful. You would literally be safer in the Green Zone in the war.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by madeintaiwan View Post
            This is so true. I was held up at gun point while working.
            I had to read that twice. That is so scary!
            -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
            Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
            Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Deb7456 View Post

The place where we're returning had an abortion doctor shot to death at his CHURCH a couple years back.
              Yeah - the guy was from here.

I think Kevin's wife is there. Or would she have moved on to fellowship -- were they on the same timeline you guys are, Lily?

Sad. Awful. I hope the doc and anyone else injured is okay.

Comment

An unlisted number/address is a good idea for any doctor. I worked in patient relations at a hospital for a while, and one thing I learned is that some patients will complain and be disgruntled no matter how much the doctor truly cares. Medical issues are so emotionally charged as it is, and then there can be huge financial implications for families. I'm rambling but... it is scary. The thing DH & I always come back to is that life is fragile, whether you're a plumber driving home from work, or a doctor, or a SAHM.
                Last edited by Deb7456; 09-16-2010, 01:55 PM. Reason: public forum

Comment

This is awful.

I think around 10 years ago, there was a pathology resident here whose contract was not renewed. He shot his adviser and then himself.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Holy. balls.

I totally understand being over-protective of loved ones, but SHOOTING someone because of it is beyond insane.

Comment

The gunman went into his mothers hospital room and shot and killed her and then shot and killed himself
                      The dr was brought into surgery and being treated for an abdominal injury but expected to make a full recovery.

http://us.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/16/m...ing/index.html

So scary I can't stand stories like this.
                      And I agree with madeintaiwan - shows like Grey's do NOT need to give any ideas on how to put into play a disgusting massacre like that.

Comment

We had two shootings in our local hospital this summer. One suicide, one murder/suicide (patient-husband). No doctors, so far. It's just crazy. And - we live in a GOOD area.
                        Angie
                        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

and

This is why I can' watch the news anymore. It's just sickening...how awful. People are so crazy anymore.

Kris
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Hopkins shooting

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate
                            Dh is going on rotation in Baltimore shock trauma in 2 months... And his classmate is at BST now. I guess it's right next door to Hopkins... Scary stuff. Very scary.

I can't imagine wearing a bullet proof jacket to work, or carrying a gun. That's awful. You would literally be safer in the Green Zone in the war.
                            Dh did a stint at Baltimore shock trauma & although it's in a dangerous area it's not close to Johns Hopkins. Lots of senseless violence.

My thoughts are with the injured dr.s family. I wish guns were banned. But that is another topic entirely.
                            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Hopkins shooting

This makes me sick to my stomach.

Comment

It was an orthopod. Dr. Cohen, apparently. Chad has heard his name. Spine guy.

I hope he recovers fully. Sad and tragic. I couldn't help but thinking that if he was going to shoot an orthopod, though, I had a few I could have put up instead. Just saying.
                                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                                X