Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Grateful for any thoughts, information, encouragement, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grateful for any thoughts, information, encouragement, etc.

Dear IMSN folks,

My husband of 6 years graduated from medical school in May 2010. About 2 months prior to his graduation, he and I had the worst fight of our marriage. As soon as we got into counseling, he revealed that he had been miserable for 3 years and he demanded a divorce. Upon graduation, my husband moved several states away to begin his residency at an Army base. Our pastor mediated an informal separation for us; the informal separation concluded 2 weeks ago when my husband called me to reiterate his intention to divorce me.

I'm heartbroken and confused. I know I wounded my husband as deeply as he wounded me, especially during med school when we were both trying to handle the stress of his studies and rotations. I know I kept hurting him during our separation, even as I reiterated my commitment to my own personal healing, to him and his healing, and to our marriage, and I'm ashamed that I couldn't express love and commitment to him in a way that he understood. I truly believed -- and, in many ways, continue to believe -- that our vows were a holy, healing covenant.

I'm wondering how often it happens that a medical spouse demands a divorce just as s/he is graduating from medical school -- and then essentially uses residency as an opportunity to escape and disconnect from the marriage.

Any thoughts/reflections or suggestions re: good legal counsel?

Thanks so much.

I'm so sorry. The medical life is not easy, no matter if you are in the beginning years of school or in Attendinghood. I hope you can get him to do more counseling once the dust has settled.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm so sorry. That is heartbreaking. I wish I had some advice for you, but all I can think of is making it very clear to him that you don't want to divorce and want to continue therapy. I hope he will agree.
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I'm sorry you are facing this. I commend your strength and resilience.
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I'm so sorry you have to go through this.
          On legal counsel, do you know people you can ask? Maybe they know a friend of a friend who has been through a divorce and can offer a suggestion? If not, you can always look through the yellow pages. Call an office to find out the cost of the first meeting and what you should bring, like financial info.
          I hope you are able to gather lots of supportive people around you.

Comment

I just wanted to send hugs and prayers your way.
            Cheryl~wife to MS3 and Mommy to our two beautiful daughters...

http://simplyimmersed.blogspot.com/
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crick...20671954714125

Comment

I am so sorry you are going through this. I left my ex when he started residency because he was treating me so poorly. The transition can be exceedingly difficult and medicine does not make anything easy. I hope that you find the strength to come through this difficult time, whatever the outcome may be. As the resident soon-to-be divorcee on this board, I can assure you that it is a fantastic place to hang out.
              Kris

Comment

So sorry to hear you're going through this. Unfortunately I don't have any constructive words of advice except to share with you that this is a fairly common experience. My husband and I saw several marriages/engagements/long term relationships end late in medical school and throughout residency. It's a harsh road that can put stresses on even the most stable of relationships. My husband and I were together for 4 years before he even started medical school and the process has stretched us to our limits. Both of us have not had our best moments, because we're human, and because we have both had unmet needs and bitterness from time to time.

Are the two of you still living several states away? It's hard for me to imagine patching up a marriage if we weren't even living near each other. If you are truly committed doing whatever you need to do to save the marriage - are you willing to move to where he is?

At the same time... not to be discouraging, but just being realistic... med school is rough, but residency is even rougher. If the two of you are not able to find common ground now, I don't know if your marriage can sustain the residency process. Divorce is a tragic thing, but sometimes two people just can't make it work. If he's not willing to do his part, it may be time to move on. I realize much easier said than done.
                Attorney, wife to EM attending, mom to two girls (ages 5 and 2)

Comment

I wish I had something profound to add. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Comment

That sounds like such a tough situation. Welcome to the site. This is a great group of people that will listen to and commiserate with your tough times and smile and laugh with you during your good times. I am sorry I don't have any advice to give. I just hope you can find peace with whatever the long road brings.
                    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Sending you a big welcome and hugs
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Have you thought about professional counseling? There are counselors out there who do phone counseling, so distance isn't necessarily an issue. Obviously I don't have specifics due to confidentiality rules, but my mom is a therapist and has seen marriages come back strong from much worse situations, so there is hope!

I cant add much else, except that distance probably isn't going to help. Granted it was high school, but the long-distance part of relationship was always the hardest, since it is a lot easier to be mad at someone when you aren't with them everyday. It's a lot easier to let your emotions and imagination get the best of you, too.
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Gosh what a tough situation you're facing. I'm so sorry, I hope you're able to continue to work on your marriage.
                          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

We had a couple at our school that this happened to. They seemed like a happy couple to the outside world, but he demanded a divorce right before his med school graduation. I didn't know her really well, so I feel like I don't know all the back story. I heard through FB that she is dating women now. Maybe that was a issue? Sorry you are going through this. I hope you can stick around and let this be a place where you can vent and share.
                            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

My heart goes out to you during such a hard time. The medical profession is not easy on a marriage or any relationship for that matter. I hope this website can help you a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X