Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What Halloween?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are out of town doing interviews this weekend, so no Halloween for me either. My SIL is giving out candy at our house to the neighborhood kids though so they still get to celebrate.

Comment

Halloween used to be OUR holiday - we've always thrown or helped throw a big party, ever since college, almost as long as we've been together. Two years ago our party here was a bust, not sure why we just didn't get a good turn out. Last year we didn't have a party because I was very pregnant and not in the mood to host. This year we took A (as Snow White) and R (as a monkey) trick or treating at the mall and DH was able to get away long enough to join us but then went right back to the hospital. We cam home and passed out candy until R needed to go to bed then we turned off the lights. We got a few trick or treaters not near as many as we used to get. I think if the time change had been this weekend instead of next we probably would have gotten more but it was to dark, to early.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Not even a single trick or treater I saw that coming, but too late because I'd already bought the candy. It makes no sense to me though. They'd get the same amount of candy faster in an apartment community.

Oh well, more chocolate for me.
        Cristina
        IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
          This is our first year of residency and I am slowly learning that we just don't recognize the holidays (like Labor day, Halloween, etc.) because they are just "another work day" in the hospital.
          Oh, I wouldn't say that. Holidays aren't just another day at the hospital. Holidays are SPECIAL days at the hospital, thanks to alcohol, celebrations punctuated by firearms, and domestic battery occurring when people who shouldn't be married are trapped in a close quarters with alcohol and firearms.

So...how IS your better-half's Halloween night going, anyway?

Comment

I too hate Halloween and DH always seems towork it, so the girls and I went to a friend of my oldest DD subdivision as ours has only 6 houses. Can you say hello Florida? We were eaten alive by mesquitos one block into it. Luckily my DD's friend made a quick call to her dad and he picked us all up and finished trick or treating in his car. So there I sat with a man I had never met before thinking how all of it didn't seem quite right and that that man should be DH. Thank goodness its over as I sit here nursing my swollen and red bit up arms and legs. Bring on Thanksgiving!!

Comment

Our family LOVES Halloween! Our homeowner's association has a decorating contest most years and we go all out to compete in it. This weekend was crazy busy for us. On Friday the girls school had their annual Fall Festival which the whole school becomes a carnival so that's always fun, then on Saturday we went to a HUGE pumpkin patch that I had won tickets for on the radio and the kiddos had a blast going through the corn maze, petting zoo, jumpers, etc., and today one of DD's soccer teammates threw a halloween party so we went to that and then came home to trick or treat. The girls dressed up like cheerleaders, DH wore his Raiders jersey, painted his face like the Raider Nation guys, and wore one of those silly double drink hats. I wore my personalized Steelers jersey and painted my face. Our neighborhood always gets a TON of trick or treaters and we typically hand out several bags of candy until we run out. Lots of fun!
              Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

This is what i would consider my first real Halloween. Growing up in a not so safe part of NYC as a kid, I never went trick or treating so I wanted the boys to experience it all. I carved a pumpkin, e was dressed in his costume all day yesterday...went to the park, food shopping etc. He loved his costume and I wanted to get my money's worth. We went trick or treating after dark with the inlaws and had a great safe time!
                Danielle
                Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

We didn't get a lot of kids. I guess it being Sunday night and it being dark oh and several churches had big festivals reduced the amount of people. I shut it down at 8p because I had too much going on to keep stopping to hand out candy to teenagers dressed in a black shirt. <eyeroll> I did, however, have the whole Wizard of Oz cast stop by. Dad was the lion, mom, was the tin man and kids were scarecrow and dorothy....they even had a toto.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

We don't get trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood since everyone here is over 65 ('cept us). So, we took the baby to some friends' house. They have a little girl who is a couple weeks older than BabyK and they also invited another couple from our birthing class. So, that's three under a year. We took turns taking the babies around the neighborhood and giving out candy. It was packed. Kids were lining up for candy and we gave away about 1,000 pieces (literally). Also let BabyK wear his lion costume to the grocery store. It was a fun Halloween.

Oh, almost forgot. I left the lights on at our house to keep vandals away. Turned out the vandal was inside the house. While we were gone, Moxie overturned a 5 gallon bucket of dog food, punctured a gallon waterbottle, tore open boxes of canned soda, shreaded newspapers, and peed all over everything. Guess we'll have to take her with us next year.
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

We only have a few kids on our block, but kids from Detroit get dropped off in our neighborhood. Literally hundreds of kids. My dad had to bring us more candy because we ran out in ten minutes flat. DH got home in time for Halloween. He also gets Thanksgiving and Christmas off. Still have no idea how that happened, but we'll take it.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                        Oh, I wouldn't say that. Holidays aren't just another day at the hospital. Holidays are SPECIAL days at the hospital, thanks to alcohol, celebrations punctuated by firearms, and domestic battery occurring when people who shouldn't be married are trapped in a close quarters with alcohol and firearms.

So...how IS your better-half's Halloween night going, anyway?
                        Well DH was on-call Friday, but I forgot to ask him if he had any good stories, I'm sure he did. He was home Saturday night since he was post call, but went to bed around 8 since he had to go in on Sunday. I'll have to ask him if there were any good stories.

A good friend of ours is a nurse and although she was off duty on Saturday night she had to take two very drunken friends to the ER for stiches after they got in a fight... I suppose Holidays (the drinking kind) do add a little "excitement" to the hospital.....
                        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

DH's residency class actually did a party on Saturday night. They do a monthly potluck with rotating hosts... someone's always on call, but enough people aren't that it still works out! DH has two straight months of weekends off, which is awesome.

We get a fair number of neighborhood kids at our door, too.
                          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

We carved a pumpkin, and the kids had some minor festivities at gymnastics. Otherwise, except for a spooky power outage at midnight (I deleted that thread since I'm embarrassed how badly I freaked out!), it was like any other night. Boo for DH being gone. I'm promising myself we'll do more next year when the kids are a little older and we're closer to family.

Comment

Working...
                            X