Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What size city do you live in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are cracking me up. Thanks about the dues and also feeling my pain that our last location was NOT Perfectville.

I could care less about the rain here. Everything is green and I pretend I'm getting a natural facial mist when I get cranky. It's so much better than gooping on the old lady cream at night because of negative temps that makes your face hurt.
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

My parents were aghast when we told them we were leaving California. They couldn't believe we'd willingly leave the sun for this. It's pretty gloomy and dreary, but green! And we have gorgeous summers, right, Flynn? And remember that amazing October we just had?!
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
        My parents were aghast when we told them we were leaving California. They couldn't believe we'd willingly leave the sun for this. It's pretty gloomy and dreary, but green! And we have gorgeous summers, right, Flynn? And remember that amazing October we just had?!
        Your parents...the ones who live there and have for decades, right? The ones who raised you there? Why would they question you wanting to move back there?!
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I know! They hate the rain! It really brings them down, and we lived in such a sunny part of California (without it ever being too hot).
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

See, DH and I love the rain here in the PNW. We're not big fans of summer because we miss the rain. Are we weirdos, or what!!
            Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

The metro area has about 1.3 million, and downtown (where we live) around 250,000. At this point in my life, anything smaller than this would drive me out of my mind. I like being able to walk to the convenience store or hop in the car and get to the grocery store and back in less than 10 minutes. We're completely spoiled though because COL if laughably low for all the amenities we enjoy. We'd like to move somewhere bigger in the immediate future, but not so big that I have to rely on public transportation. I don't think I could give up my car. But I can see as we get older migrating back to something this size or smaller even, once any kids we might have are off on their own. I do really like this city so we may move back here someday, but we've both been here for most of our lives and just want to try something else for a while.
              Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Niener-Sounds like my kind of city! Where are you? PM if you don't want to post it here.

Flynn-where did you live during training?
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Flynn's last location wasn't training, it was their first job. They were in northern MN.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Wow, that would make me sucidal! No offense to the Minnesota peeps, but I don't tolerate cold weather well!
                    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Exactly.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
                        Niener-Sounds like my kind of city! Where are you? PM if you don't want to post it here.

Flynn-where did you live during training?
                        PM sent (only because this is grand rounds...)
                        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I live in a big city (Chicago) though we are looking at programs in large metropolitans and smaller cities. I am undecided where i would want to end up. On one hand, I like living in a big city...on the other hand, the programs we've seen in the smaller cities seem to offer a better quality of life (such as more free time) for us as a couple. I do have fears that, after living in a large city for a number of years, I would be bored in a smaller city.

I think there is a good chance it will change for us...but no matter what it will be a happy change as (after five years of long distance because of my grad school and then his) we are thrilled that we will be living together again! We got a nice break for four months this fall while my fiancé was dong externships and interviews as we were finally in the same city for a change!

Comment

We live in a town of 14,000 but DH works in a city of 250,000.

Comment

Working...
                            X