Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The great match decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We didn't end up ranking since he took a prematch offer. If he hadn't, we most likely would've ranked based on program quality and fellowship placement. The vibe and feel of a program would've also mattered, but not enough to rank a community program with mediocre fellowship placement above a good university program. Location and benefits would've come in dead last, but that's a very personal decision. I figured we had come so far and made so many sacrifices (the Caribbean truly gives you a new appreciation for many things I used to take for granted) to turn our noses up at a program in a less than ideal location or one that didn't pay so well. Granted, I was not a happy camper in Sioux Falls, SD, but we would've ranked that program as well.

I think the common theme here is that ranking is a highly personal decision. Rank based on the things that matter to YOU.
    Last edited by MissCrabette; 01-17-2011, 09:44 AM.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Comment

Definitely a personal decision, and definitely specialty heavy. We also are in neurosurgery which is super small so for us program personality was probably one of, if not the, most important for us. 6 years in close quarters, you've got to like and feel comfortable with who you are working with.

Our decision was based on the below in matter of importance.....you ask someone else they might cringe at our thought process...again very different decision for different people. We feel fortunate to have gotten our first choice, but in the end you want to be somewhere that wants you, so things seem to fall in the right place even if it's not your first.

Program personality (residents particularly)
      Program reputation

Comment

We are trying for rads! Ask me in 2 months, I can't even form a thought anymore.
        But really we are looking at: number of films seen, where residents go onto fellowships, how heavy in IR they are, and then location.
        Brandi
        Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Just chiming in since the competitive specialties are pretty well represented, and less so the non-competitive ones! DH knew he was a competitive candidate in a non-competitive specialty. We ruled a lot out, mostly location based, but there were locations I would have liked where he really didn't like the programs, so those were ruled out too. He wasn't dead set on prestige (esp. since we basically eliminated the entire east coast!), but it was certainly a consideration. Mostly, though, it came down to where we thought we would want to live. You can do that in some specialties a lot more than in others.
          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback. It's pretty much a location thing for us now (as my fiancé knows which programs he likes the best -- so now it's a matter of where we want to live for the next five years minimum). Just wanted to see if there were other things that you all considered to think about.

I wish there was a way to just know which place is the best place for us to be longterm!

Comment

There is no "best place" because as many of our members here have discovered, what seems to be "the best place" before you start ends up being a complete hell-hole and those who have been crushed with their placements have ended up finding them to be incredible training locations.

Two words about the match that need to be tattooed in your head:

Crap Shoot.

Jenn

Comment

Haha, fair enough. That's what I meant by wishing I knew which would be the best for us!

Hopefully it will just all work out and we'll get the mythhical program with good time off, amazing training and where he's treated well while still being challenged.

Sadly nonexistent...

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. MD, Esq. View Post
                  Haha, fair enough. That's what I meant by wishing I knew which would be the best for us!

Hopefully it will just all work out and we'll get the mythhical program with good time off, amazing training and where he's treated well while still being challenged.

Sadly nonexistent...
                  Yes, that place exists only in our dreams...
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Leave me to my delusional fantasies...it's been a rotten week! And it's only Tuesday...

Comment

Sorry, some of us (OK, just me) grizzled old hags exist primarily for reality checks.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                        Two words about the match that need to be tattooed in your head:

Crap Shoot.
                        Amen.

Comment

Praise Be!

Your fiancé is going into general surgery, right? Good luck. General surgery is hell everywhere. Brace yourselves!
                          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Well NOW I'm excited!

Haha

(and yes to gen surgery)

Comment

I gotta say it: Not sure what you are looking for, but when you start a thread like this one, this group is going to throw out the cold hard truth. We do tough love really really well.
                              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Don't misunderstand, I can take the truth...I just wanted to get an idea of what you all considered (or...looking back on it...what you wish you had considered). I know it's going to be rough. I never expected anything less. But we'll be coming off five years of long distance...so I'm accostomed to never seeing my fiancé anyway!

Comment

Working...
                                X