Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

OMG you're gonna be a doctor?!?!?!??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Bf and his roomie will just be living together until June (aka whenever he has to move for residency). He did rank where he's in med school (pretty low on his list), so there's a slight chance they'd live together next year if that's where my BF matches. They did not renew their lease though, so I'm guessing my BF will want to move into a big boy apartment if that's the case. Fingers crossed!

I will definitely try to keep his career hush-hush. The biggest issue (other than this crazy chick) is friends of his friends. When they come to town, they kind of already know who's who. And since doctoring is way more interesting than any of our careers, it gets brought up. But we've become good at diverting the conversation after 10 minutes or so. My BF's other roommate blames George Clooney for everybody's fascination with doctors.
    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post

SOOOOO tempted to say that to her. But my BF gets mad at me when I'm "sassy".

I actually said something similar to a guy I went to HS with. He said something like, "I knew you'd end up with a doctor. You always struck me as the gold-digging type". I politely informed him that it'll take a few years, but when I have a giant swimming pool full of gold coins, that he will not be invited to my pool parties.
      Next time substitute "gold coins" for "dubloons" and you'll make my day! Great comeback!! :P
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Corn Poffi in 5 years...

scrooge-mcduck.jpg

Comment

that's my goal!

Comment

Lol. Cynical spouse out of training for 10 years is keeping her mouth shut about that non-existant tub full of money. Ooops. Did I let the cat out of the bag? Lol

kris ... who tells people her dh works at the hospital but when pushed says he works in ID. 90% of those people thinks he makes ID badges I'm sure because I don't elaborate unless asked.
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Nah, the cat's been out of the bag for a while...I just wanted to shut that kid up. It worked.

Comment

Laughing my hiney off reading these responses - taking notes for next time I get a fascinated person with a "ooooh, you're married to a doctor?!?!" comment...

Comment

Yeah, there does seem to be a certain type that you might refer to as the 'doctor groupie', LOL. On our very first date, my husband and I went to an ice cream parlor. Somehow it came up in chatting with the teenage girls behind the counter that he was a med student, and suddenly they got all giggly and flirty. I half expected one of them to come around the counter and climb into his lap. It was fascinating to watch.

I get sick of the assumptions and weird stuff too. People think we're rich, people think my husband should be interested in hearing about their medical conditions in a social setting (please don't talk about your toenail fungus when we're at dinner. Okay? Thanks). My husband is a second-generation family doc in a small town. His dad has probably delivered 1/3 to 1/2 the population within a certain age subset. So our name is 'known'. I think the weirdest comment I ever got was when some elderly lady who knew both of them, but did not know me, cornered me and lectured me to not be 'jealous of his career'. Right. Okay.

I, too, find myself reluctant to tell people what he does sometimes. Funnily enough, I met another doc wife recently through a homeschooling thing. She said something about her husband being on call for a holiday. When I asked what he did, she said, "Oh. . . he's in the . . . medical field." And I immediately knew that he was a doc, just by her reluctance to come right out and say it, LOL.

Comment

I refer to the groupies as "dawktor phuckers". They become far less fascinating over time. Particularly if the hospital or clinic is full of them.

People are weird.

Comment

"housestaff at the hospital" I think I am gonna have to start using that one!

I think I would be tempted to act intrigued with her boyfriends career and ask a lot of questions about him... but most likely I would just tell her flat out that you love your bf for who he is despite the fact that he is gonna be a doctor, and watching strangers swoon over his career choice got old about 3 years ago.
                      Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Funny, I get the opposite. When people find out that my DH is a psychiatrist, they say "I thought you were a real doctor." Or they make jokes about how desperately they need his help. Or, when they see him in his white coat, comment about how much he looks like a doctor. Or make comments about "Analyze This" when he's on-call or working in the ER. They picture a psychiatric emergency as one in which someone with lots of money just has to speak to his analysit in the middle of the night as opposed to someone whose gone completely off the deep end, is having hallucinations, and just tried to kill his whole family.
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Wow MrsK. I'd be floored. I imagine psychiatry to be a very demanding specialty.

Kris
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Most people we've encountered think that anesthesiologists are some kind of technician. Being a physician doesn't give you a leg up on anyone here. Three of the four owners in our row of townhouses are doctors. The one I Ooh and Aah at is the Alaska pilot next door. He travels everywhere and has so many interesting things to talk about!
                            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

people think my husband should be interested in hearing about their medical conditions in a social setting
                              DH stopped at a gas station (for sour patch kids haha!) in the city wearing scrubs after anatomy lab. Some dude walked up to him and said, "Hey--you're a doctor. What's wrong with my stomach. It's going like whoosh." DH just walked away. I wonder what "like whoosh" really means?

On a different note, apparently my grandmother/grandfather were friends with their ob/gyn and his wife and had them over for dinner. She was having some sort of "lady problem" and he gave her an impromptu exam. (not in front of everyone). Still...I guess "can you take a look at my hoo-ha real quick?" is a great conversation starter? It was the 1970s...
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

My husband has to remind people that he hasn't done pediatrics in 8 years when we get the "I know you're not my pediatrician, but..." phone calls. He can do adult neurology far better than he can do kid illness at this point. He's actually seeing mostly adult patients during fellowship, after all!

I can't imagine getting a hooha exam during a dinner party...

J.

Comment

Working...
                                X