Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Guilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guilt

OK- I called code compliance on the house next door. I reported it to the abandoned structures section of code compliance. It's been empty for years- at least 10. The owners are the sons of the woman who lived there and 'the plan' was that one of the nephews was going to move in and fix it up. Except it's so falling down, you couldn't live in it and fix it up at the same time.

The houses in this part of San Antonio are pier and beam foundations- and this place is falling off the piers. If you go in the backyard, you can see that none of the piers are touching the beams. anywhere. It's sliding toward my other neighbors house. I've found roofing tiles in my backyard after a wind storm.

Well, they must have gotten cited because the nephew has been here every day for the past three days putting up new siding (why you would do siding before the foundation, I don't know. Well, I do know- siding and nails cost a lot less than a foundation job.)

I feel bad- I know they don't have a ton of money- but at the same time- this place was so bad that there were holes in the front siding. They painted the front of the house as high as they could reach and then abandoned the job. The windows are all broken out. I looked up their taxes and they're paying less than half of what the houses the same size are.

He waved and we spoke for a couple of minutes and the other neighbor spoke with him and apparently they've decided to take a home equity loan, buy out one brother and have the foundation fixed, etc.

So, why am I feeling guilty about this?

Jenn

I so sympathize! I felt so guilty when I called code enforcement on a vacant house down the street. They had been nothing but trouble (someone's finally living there now, thank goodness), but I still felt bad about calling.

PS - You did the right thing. The code is there for a reason.
    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Try not to beat yourself up over the call. My guess is it was the impetus for someone to get off their duff and do something about the house. And that's totally OK. Some people need a kick in the nuts to finish things.

Comment

Don't feel guilty. If that house were to fall onto your house, who would pay to repair your house? I think it would be you and your insurance company. Besides, abandoned house attract things like Michele's rats!!!!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Or tweakers -- which are way worse than rats.

Comment

You did the right thing Jenn, for your entire neighborhood.
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I would have done the exact same thing. But I'm also the person who left a note on my new neighbor's door about not letting their trashcans drift down the sidewalk for two days.

Comment

Or tweakers -- which are way worse than rats.
                I'm afraid to ask, but what are tweakers?
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                  You did the right thing. The code is there for a reason.
                  This.
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123 View Post

I'm afraid to ask, but what are tweakers?
                    diggitydot, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe tweakers was referring to meth addicted people.
                    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Yup, tweakers are methamphetamine addicts. Infestations of tweakers are worse than all other vermin combined.

Comment

Don't feel guilty. If that house were to fall onto your house, who would pay to repair your house? I think it would be you and your insurance company. Besides, abandoned house attract things like Michele's rats!!!!
                        This. That thing is a bad accident waiting to happen. Could you imagine if you didn't call and that house fell onto yours? Or God forbid, some neighborhood kids were playing over there and got badly hurt? (I don't mention N because I'm sure he's been school to never ever go over there! ) Don't feel guilty!!!

Comment

This. That thing is a bad accident waiting to happen. Could you imagine if you didn't call and that house fell onto yours? Or God forbid, some neighborhood kids were playing over there and got badly hurt? (I don't mention N because I'm sure he's been school to never ever go over there! ) Don't feel guilty!!!

Comment

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=206+Ca...G_I6J8ZxVPMD5Q This is a really old picture because my yard (brick house on the left) has been completely redone. You can't see the damage but if you look to the right of the door, that's where all of the siding was falling off.

OK- I knew you guys would talk me out of it. Luanne- it's actually leaning into the other neighbors side of the yard.

Hopefully this will get taken care of- now he's got boards up- plain, untreated, unpainted siding. We'll see.

As for sneaking over there, it's so scary that none of the kids go near it- and none of the teenagers do either (it's three feet from one neighbor, 10 feet from the back neighbor and about 10 feet from my house so we'd know if there was something going on.) There are better abandoned houses to mess around in.

J.
                            Last edited by DCJenn; 03-29-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Ooooh, I'm sure it was a nice house in its heyday.
                              It is very close to your property, though, and that would definitely make me uncomfortable.

Don't feel badly!
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                              X